Main Article Content
Many people do not have the knowledge on what cosplay is, even less about its positive correlation with the rape culture we live in. It’s hard to disagree that the modern world is heavily influenced by the pop culture, current reality is based upon it, and so it cannot be omitted in such important things as education. Cosplay, as a generally new trend is heavily rooted in it and as such it’s connected to the battle for equality, emancipation, sexism and many movements which are part of video games. Patriarchal influences and rooted patterns found in our cultural circle have impact on the appearance of costumes, which we wear; supply and demand with the addition of consumerism and hedonism dictate the look of created characters and cosplays characters which are most popular. Situations which demands attention are ones, where we breach someone’s personal space, where molestation of rape occurs. Aspects which help here will be proper upbringing and education, which apart of implementing basic culture and its patterns will also sensitize towards the problems of sexual abuse. The issue here does not lie in the character models, scarce costumes or the unfair fight for equality, its indoctrination or inappropriate approach, but teaching respect and enjoying the phenomena which is cosplay.
Journal of Gender and Power is an Open Access Journal. Copyright of the article published in the Journal of Gender and Power is retained by the authors with first publication rights granted to the Adam Mickiewicz University Press.
- ANDERSON, CH. B. (2004) Women, Ideology, and Violence Critical Theory ant the Construction of Gender in the Book of the Covenant and the Deuteronomic Law. Journal for the Study of the Old Testament Supplement Series. 394. London: T & T Clark International.
- BOLES, J. K. & HOEVELER, D. L. (2004) Historical dictionary of feminism. 2nd ed. Lanham MD: Scarecrow Press.
- HERMAN, D. (1989) The Rape Culture. In: Freeman, J. (ed.) Women: A Feminist Perspective. 4th ed. Mayfield: Mountain View, CA.
- ROMANO, A. (2014) The battle of Gamergate and the future of video games. [Online] Available from: https://kernelmag.dailydot.com/issue-sections/features-issuesections/11195/battle-of-gamergate-2014/. [Accessed: 11th February 2018].
- WRONA, D. (2017) Cosplay as a cultural phenomenon. Pedagogical and socio-cultural context. Poznań: Adam Mickiewicz University.