Main Article Content
The importance of teaching self-determination skills to all students is extremely important, but it especially vital that all adolescent males learn these skills as they seem to struggle the most with self-advocacy, communication skills, and self-efficacy. This article will focus on many facets of self-determination and will present interventions specifically for adolescent males.
Journal of Gender and Power is an Open Access Journal. Copyright of the article published in the Journal of Gender and Power is retained by the authors with first publication rights granted to the Adam Mickiewicz University Press.
- AGRAN, M. et al. (2008) Promoting student active classroom participation skills through instruction to promote self-regulated learning and self-determination. Career Development for Exceptional Individuals. 31 (2). Pp. 106–114. DOI: 10.1177/0885728808317656.
- ALGOZZINE, B. et al. (2001) Effects of interventions to promote self-determination for individuals with disabilities. Review of Educational Research. 71. Pp. 219–277.
- BRONFENBRENNER, U. (2005) Making human beings human: Bioecological perspectives on human development. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- BROWN, I., HATTON, C. & EMERSON, E. (2013) Quality of life indicators for individuals with intellectual disabilities: Extending current practice. Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities. 51. Pp. 316–332. DOI: 10.1352/1934-9556-51.5.316.
- CAMERON, C. (2012) Youth with disabilities in transition from school to work or postsecondary education and training: A review of the literature in the United States and the United Kingdom. Toronto, Canada: Institute for Research and Development on Inclusion and Society.
- CARTER, E. & KENNEDY, C. (2006) Promoting access to the general curriculum using peer support strategies. Research and Practice for Persons With Severe Disabilities. 31. Pp. 284–292.
- CARTER, E. W. et al. (2006) Self-determination skills of transition-age youth with emotional disturbances and learning disabilities. Exceptional Children. 72. Pp. 333–346.
- CARTER, E. W. et al. (2008) Promoting self-determination for transitioned aged youth: Views of high school general and special educators. Exceptional Children. 75. Pp. 55–70.
- CUMMING, T. M. & SMEDLEY, E. N. (2017) Life span transitions for a student with LD: mother-daughter perspectives. Intervention in School and Clinic. 52 (3). Pp. 176–181. DOI: 10.177/1053451216644826.
- DECI, E. L. (1995) Why we do what we do: Understanding self-motivation. New York: Penguin Books.
- EISENMAN, L. T. (2007) Self-determination interventions: Building a foundation for school completion. Remedial and Special Education. 28. Pp. 2–8.
- EMERSON, E. (20017) Poverty and people with intellectual disabilities. Mental Retardation and Development Disabilities Research Reviews. 13. Pp. 107–113. DOI: 10.1002/mrdd.20144.
- FIELD, S. S. et al. (1998) Self determination for persons with disabilities: A position statement of the Division on Career Development and Transition. Career Development for Exceptional Individuals. 21. Pp. 113–112.
- FIELD, S. & HOFFMAN, A. (2002) Preparing youth to exercise self-determination: Quality indicators of school environments that promote the acquisition of knowledge, skills, and beliefs related to self-determination. Journal of Disability Policy Studies. 13. Pp. 113–118.
- FIELD, S., SARVER, M. D. & SHAW, S. F. (2003) Self-determination: A key to success in postsecondary education for students with learning disabilities. Remedial and Special Education. 24. Pp. 339–349.
- FORLIN, C., KUEN-FUNG SIN, K. & MACLEAN, R. (2013) Transition for a student with special educational needs from primary to secondary school in Hong Kong. Australasian Journal of Special Education. 37. Pp. 49–63. DOI: 10.1017/jse.2013.0.
- FUJIURA, G. T. & YAMAKI, K. (2000) Trends in demography of childhood poverty and disability. Exceptional Children. 66. Pp. 187–199.
- GRIGAL, M. et al. (2003) Self-determination for students with disabilities: Views of parents and teachers. Exceptional Children. 70. Pp. 97–112.
- HALLORAN, W. D. (1993) Transitions services requirement: Issues, implications, challenges. In: Eaves, R. C. & McLaughlin, P. J. (eds.) Recent advances in special education and rehabilitation (pp. 210–224). Boston: Andover Medical Publishers.
- HANEWALD, R. (2013) Transition between primary and secondary school: Why it is important and how it can be supported. Australian Journal of Teacher Education. 38 (1). Pp. 62–74.
- HIDI, S. & HARACKIEWICZ, J. M. (2000) Motivating the academically unmotivated: A critical issue for the 21st century. Review of Educational Research. 70. Pp. 151–179.
- KALYANPUR, M. & HARRY, B. (1999) Culture in special education: Building reciprocal family-professional relationships. Baltimore: Brookes.
- KING-SEARS, M. E. (2001) Three steps for gaining access to the general education curriculum for learners with disabilities. Intervention in School and Clinic. 37. Pp. 67–76.
- KOHLER, P. D. (1993) Best practices in transition: Substantiated or implied? Career Development for Exceptional Individuals. 16. Pp. 107–121.
- KONRAD, M. et al. (2007) Effects of self-determination interventions on the academic skills of students with learning disabilities. Learning Disabilities Quarterly. 30. Pp. 89–113. DOI: 10.2307/30035545.
- LANDMARK, L. J., SONG JU, S. & DALUN ZHANG, D. (2010) Substantiated best practices in transition: Fifteen plus years later. Career Development for Exceptional Individuals. 33. Pp. 165–176.
- LANE, K. L. & CARTER, E. W. (2006) Supporting transition-age youth with and at risk for emotional and behavioral disorders at the secondary level: A need for further inquiry. Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Disabilities. 14. Pp. 66–70.
- LUCKNER, J. L. & SEBALD, A. M. (2013) Promoting self-determination who are deaf or hard of hearing. American Annals of the Deaf. 158. Pp. 377–386. DOI: 10.1353/aad.2013.0024.
- LUFT, P. (2015) Transition services for DHH adolescents and young adults with disabilities: Challenges and theoretical frameworks. American Annals of the Deaf. 160. Pp. 395–414. DOI: 10.1353/aad.2015.0028.
- MCINTYRE, L., BLACHER, J. & BAKER, B. (2006) The transition to school: Adaptation in young children with and without intellectual disability. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research. 50 (5). Pp. 349–361.
- MARTIN, J. E. et al. (2006) Increasing student participation in IEP Meetings: Establishing the self-directed IEP as an evidenced-based practice. Exceptional Children. 72. Pp. 299–316.
- MASON, C., FIELD, S. & SAWILOWSKY, S. (2004) Implementation of self-determination activities and student participation in IEP’s. Exceptional Children. 70 (4). Pp. 441–451.
- NOTA, L. et al. (2007) Self-determination, social abilities, and the quality of life of people with intellectual disabilities. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research. 51. Pp. 850–865.
- PARISH, S. L., ROSE, R. A. & ANDREW, M. E. (2010) TANF’s impact on low-income mothers raising children with disabilities. Exceptional Children. 76. Pp. 234–253.
- PRATER, M. A. et al. (2014) Teaching adolescent students with learning disabilities to self-advocate for accommodations. Intervention in School and Clinic. 49 (5). Pp. 298–305. DOI: 10.1177/1053451213513958.
- REEVE, J. (1996) Motivating others: Nurturing inner motivational resources. Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- RYNDAK, D. L. et al. (2014) Policy and the impact on placement, involvement, and progress in general education: Critical issues that require rectification. Research & Practice for Persons with Severe Disabilities. 39. Pp. 65–74. DOI: 10.1177/1540796914533942.
- SANSONE, C. & MORGAN, C. (1992) Intrinsic motivation and education: Competence in context. Motivation and Emotion. 16. Pp. 249–278.
- SCHALOCK, R. L. (1996) Reconsidering the conceptualization and measurement of quality of life. In: Schalock, R. L. (eds.) Quality of life: Conceptualization and measurement (Vol. 1. Pp. 123–139). Washington, DC: American Association on Mental Retardation.
- SHOGREN, K. A. et al. (2014) Exploring student, family, and school predictors of self-determination using NLTS2 data. Career Development and Transition for Exceptional Individuals. 39 (1). Pp. 23–33. DOI: 10.1177/2165143414546685.
- STANG, K. K. et al. (2009) Perspectives of general and special educators on fostering self-determination in elementary and middle schools. Journal of Special Education. 43. Pp. 94–106.
- TEST, D. W. et al. (2004) Student involvement in individualized education program meetings. Exceptional Children. 70. Pp. 391–412.
- TRAINOR, A. (2005) Self-determination perceptions and behaviors of diverse students with LD during the transition planning process. Journal of Learning Disabilities. 38. Pp. 233–249.
- TURNBULL, A. & TURNBULL, H. R. (1996) Self-determination within a culturally responsive family systems perspective: Balancing the family mobile. In: Powers, L., Singer, G. & Sowers, J. (eds.) On the road to autonomy: Promoting self-confidence in children and youth with disabilities (pp. 195–220). Baltimore: Brookes.
- WEHMEYER, M. L. & ABERY, B. H. (2013) Self-determination and choice. Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities. 51. Pp. 399–411. DOI: 10.1352/1934-9556-51.5.399.
- WEHMEYER, M. L. & FIELD, S. (2007) Self-determination: Instructional and assessment strategies. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- WEHMEYER, M. L. & SCHWARTZ, M. (1998) The self-determination focus of transition goals for students with mental retardation. Career Development for Exceptional Individuals. 21. Pp. 75–86.
- WEHMEYER, M. L. et al. (1997) The development of self-determination and implication for educational interventions with students with disabilities. International Journal of Disability, Development, and Education. 44. Pp. 212–225.
- WEHMEYER, M. L. et al. (2004) Whose future is it anyway? A student directed transition planning process (2nd ed.). Lawrence, KS: Beach Center on Disability.
- WEHMEYER, M. L. et al. (2011) Personal self-determination and moderating variables that impact efforts to promote self-determination. Exceptionality. 19. Pp. 19–30. DOI: 10.1080/09362835.2011.537220.
- WILLIAMS-DIEHM, K. et al. (2008) Self-determination and student involvement in transition planning: A multivariate analysis. Journal on Developmental Disabilities. 14. Pp. 23–36.