Main Article Content
This article presents an extract from the research on the male support of the emancipation of Polish women at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. In my consideration of the papers penned by authors who posited common and equal civil rights for men and women, I pay particular attention to Edward Prądzyński’s book published in 1873, and to the journalistic writing by Eugeniusz Starczewski from the end of the first World War. Their two projects for the emancipation of Polish women are diverse: while Prądzyński’s proposition was revolutionary, Starczewski’s work was late and limited in its emancipatory outlook.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Manuscript authors are responsible for obtaining copyright permissions for any copyrighted materials included within manuscripts. The authors must provide permission letters, when appropriate, to the Society Register Editors.
In addition, all published papers in Society Register are published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Unported License.
1.1 The Author hereby warrants that he/she is the owner of all the copyright and other intellectual property rights in the Work and that, within the scope of the present Agreement, the paper does not infringe the legal rights of another person. The owner of the copyright work also warrants that he/she is the sole and original creator thereof and that is not bound by any legal constraints in regard to the use or sale of the work.
1.2. The Publisher warrants that is the owner of the PRESSto platform for open access journals, hereinafter referred to as the PRESSto Platform.
2. The Author grants the Publisher non-exclusive and free of charge license to unlimited use worldwide over an unspecified period of time in the following areas of exploitation:
2.1. production of multiple copies of the Work produced according to the specific application of a given technology, including printing, reproduction of graphics through mechanical or electrical means (reprography) and digital technology;
2.2. marketing authorisation, loan or lease of the original or copies thereof;
2.3. public performance, public performance in the broadcast, video screening, media enhancements as well as broadcasting and rebroadcasting, made available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them;
2.4. inclusion of the Work into a collective work (i.e. with a number of contributions);
2.5. inclusion of the Work in the electronic version to be offered on an electronic platform, or any other conceivable introduction of the Work in its electronic version to the Internet;
2.6. dissemination of electronic versions of the Work in its electronic version online, in a collective work or independently;
2.7. making the Work in the electronic version available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them, in particular by making it accessible via the Internet, Intranet, Extranet;
2.8. making the Work available according to appropriate license pattern CC BY-NC 4.0 as well as another language version of this license or any later version published by Creative Commons.
3. The Author grants the Publisher permission to reproduce a single copy (print or download) and royalty-free use and disposal of rights to compilations of the Work and these compilations.
4. The Author grants the Publisher permission to send metadata files related to the Work, including to commercial and non-commercial journal-indexing databases.
5. The Author represents that, on the basis of the license granted in the present Agreement, the Publisher is entitled and obliged to:
5.1. allow third parties to obtain further licenses (sublicenses) to the Work and to other materials, including derivatives thereof or compilations made, based on or including the Work, whereas the provisions of such sub-licenses will be the same as with the Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0) Creative Commons sub-license or another language version of this license, or any later version of this license published by Creative Commons;
5.2. make the Work available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them, without any technological constraints;
5.3. appropriately inform members of the public to whom the Work is to be made available about sublicenses in such a way as to ensure that all parties are properly informed (appropriate informing messages).
6. Because of the royalty-free provision of services of the Author (resulting from the scope of obligations stipulated in the present Agreement), the Author shall not be entitled to any author’s fee due and payable on the part of the Publisher (no fee or royalty is payable by the Publisher to the Author).
7.1. In the case of third party claims or actions for indemnity against the Publisher owing to any infractions related to any form of infringement of intellectual property rights protection, including copyright infringements, the Author is obliged to take all possible measures necessary to protect against these claims and, when as a result of legal action, the Publisher, or any third party licensed by the Publisher to use the Work, will have to abandon using the Work in its entirety or in part or, following a court ruling in a legal challenge, to pay damages to a third party, whatever the legal basis
7.2. The Author will immediately inform the Publisher about any damage claims related to intellectual property infringements, including the author’s proprietary rights pertaining to a copyrighted work, filed against the Author. of liability, the Author is obliged to redress the damage resulting from claims made by third party, including costs and expenditures incurred in the process.
7.3. To all matters not settled herein provisions of the Polish Civil Code and the Polish Copyright and Related Rights Act shall apply.
- [author unknown]. 1907. „Liga mężczyzn dla wywalczenia praw wybiorczych kobiet w Anglii.” Ster 9: 356–367.
- [author unknown]. 1913. „Liga mężczyzn do obrony praw kobiet.” Ster 19–20: 117.
- Bujak-Boguskiej, Sylwia. 1930. Na straży praw kobiet. Pamiętnik Klubu Politycznego Kobiet Postępowych 1919-1939. Warszawa: J. Ulasiewicz.
- Domańska, Ewa. 2006. Historie niekonwencjonalne. Refleksja o przeszłości w nowej humanistyce. Poznań: Wydawnictwo Poznańskie.
- Duda, Maciej. 2014. „Wojna płci.” Pp. 578–580 in Encyklopedia gender. Płeć w kulturze, edited by M. Rudaś-Grodzka et al. Warszawa: Czarna Owca.
- Duda, Maciej. 2017. Emancypanci i emancypatorzy. Mężczyźni wspierający emancypację Polek w drugiej połowie XIX i na początku XX wieku. Szczecin: Wydawnictwo Naukowe Uniwersytetu Szczecińskiego.
- Duda, Maciej. 2020. Głosy sojuszników spraw kobiet. Pisma mężczyzn wspierających emancypację Polek w drugiej połowie XIX i na początku XX wieku. Szczecin: Wydawnictwo Naukowe Uniwersytetu Szczecińskiego.
- Frevert, Ute. 1997. Mąż i niewiasta. Niewiasta i mąż. O różnicach płci w czasach nowoczesnych. Trans. A. Kopacki. Warszawa: Oficyna Wydawnicza Volumen.
- Jardine, Alice. 2013. “Men in Feminism: Odor di Uomo Or Compagnons de Route?” Pp. 54–62 in Men in Feminism, edited by A. Jardine, P. Smith. New York: Routledge.
- Kahane, David J. 1998. “Male Feminism as Oxymoron.” Pp. 213–236 in Men Doing Feminism, edited by T. Digby. New York: Routledge.
- Kimmel, Michael S. & Thomas Mosmiller. 1992. Against the tide. Pro-feminist men in the United States, 1776-1990. A Documentary History. Boston: Beacon Press.
- Pachucka, Romana. 1958. Pamiętnik z lat 1886-1914. Introduction and explanation J. Hulewicz. Wrocław: Zakład Narodowy im. Ossolińskich.
- Petrażycki, Leon. 1919. O prawa dla kobiet. The speech delivered at I Duma, trans. J. Petrażycka Tomicka. Lwów: Wydawnictwo Polskie.
- Petrażycka Tomicka, Barbara, ed. 1931. Związek Równouprawnienia Kobiet we Lwowie. Przyczynek do Historii Równouprawnienia kobiet w Polsce. Kraków: Gebethner i Wolff.
- Prądzyński, Edward. 1875. O prawach kobiety. Warszawa, Druk K. Kowalskiego. Księgarnia Celsa Lewickiego i Sp.
- Słownik Języka Polskiego. Tom I. 1900. ed. J. Karłowicz, A. Kryński, W. Niedźwiedzki. Warszawa: Nakładem Prenumeratorów i Kasy Mianowskiego.
- Solarska, Monika. 2011. S/Przeciw-historia. Wymiar krytyczny historii kobiet. Bydgoszcz: Oficyna Wydawnicza Epigram.
- Urban, Jan. 1918. „O prawa obywatelskie dla kobiet.” Przegląd Powszechny 276–293, 414–431.
- van Tilburg, Marija. 2000. „Historia kobiet czy historia „gender”? Poststrukturalistyczne inspiracje w badaniach nad dziejami płci.” Historyka: Studia Metodologiczne 30: 27–37.