Main Article Content
Maximal individualism, which is currently a prevalent trend in the way many patients think, places high hopes in the achievements of biomedicine and assumes that everyone should always receive optimal medical care. Such an approach is in line with many normative and legal acts operating worldwide, including the Declaration of Human Rights. However, its feasibility and effectiveness in the time of the COVID-19 pandemic raises numerous ethical, social and economic dilemmas. The culture of prosperity and excess, characteristic of contemporary Western societies, makes it even more challenging to come to terms with this situation.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Manuscript authors are responsible for obtaining copyright permissions for any copyrighted materials included within manuscripts. The authors must provide permission letters, when appropriate, to the Society Register Editors.
In addition, all published papers in Society Register are published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 Unported License.
1.1 The Author hereby warrants that he/she is the owner of all the copyright and other intellectual property rights in the Work and that, within the scope of the present Agreement, the paper does not infringe the legal rights of another person. The owner of the copyright work also warrants that he/she is the sole and original creator thereof and that is not bound by any legal constraints in regard to the use or sale of the work.
1.2. The Publisher warrants that is the owner of the PRESSto platform for open access journals, hereinafter referred to as the PRESSto Platform.
2. The Author grants the Publisher non-exclusive and free of charge license to unlimited use worldwide over an unspecified period of time in the following areas of exploitation:
2.1. production of multiple copies of the Work produced according to the specific application of a given technology, including printing, reproduction of graphics through mechanical or electrical means (reprography) and digital technology;
2.2. marketing authorisation, loan or lease of the original or copies thereof;
2.3. public performance, public performance in the broadcast, video screening, media enhancements as well as broadcasting and rebroadcasting, made available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them;
2.4. inclusion of the Work into a collective work (i.e. with a number of contributions);
2.5. inclusion of the Work in the electronic version to be offered on an electronic platform, or any other conceivable introduction of the Work in its electronic version to the Internet;
2.6. dissemination of electronic versions of the Work in its electronic version online, in a collective work or independently;
2.7. making the Work in the electronic version available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them, in particular by making it accessible via the Internet, Intranet, Extranet;
2.8. making the Work available according to appropriate license pattern CC BY-NC 4.0 as well as another language version of this license or any later version published by Creative Commons.
3. The Author grants the Publisher permission to reproduce a single copy (print or download) and royalty-free use and disposal of rights to compilations of the Work and these compilations.
4. The Author grants the Publisher permission to send metadata files related to the Work, including to commercial and non-commercial journal-indexing databases.
5. The Author represents that, on the basis of the license granted in the present Agreement, the Publisher is entitled and obliged to:
5.1. allow third parties to obtain further licenses (sublicenses) to the Work and to other materials, including derivatives thereof or compilations made, based on or including the Work, whereas the provisions of such sub-licenses will be the same as with the Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0) Creative Commons sub-license or another language version of this license, or any later version of this license published by Creative Commons;
5.2. make the Work available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them, without any technological constraints;
5.3. appropriately inform members of the public to whom the Work is to be made available about sublicenses in such a way as to ensure that all parties are properly informed (appropriate informing messages).
6. Because of the royalty-free provision of services of the Author (resulting from the scope of obligations stipulated in the present Agreement), the Author shall not be entitled to any author’s fee due and payable on the part of the Publisher (no fee or royalty is payable by the Publisher to the Author).
7.1. In the case of third party claims or actions for indemnity against the Publisher owing to any infractions related to any form of infringement of intellectual property rights protection, including copyright infringements, the Author is obliged to take all possible measures necessary to protect against these claims and, when as a result of legal action, the Publisher, or any third party licensed by the Publisher to use the Work, will have to abandon using the Work in its entirety or in part or, following a court ruling in a legal challenge, to pay damages to a third party, whatever the legal basis
7.2. The Author will immediately inform the Publisher about any damage claims related to intellectual property infringements, including the author’s proprietary rights pertaining to a copyrighted work, filed against the Author. of liability, the Author is obliged to redress the damage resulting from claims made by third party, including costs and expenditures incurred in the process.
7.3. To all matters not settled herein provisions of the Polish Civil Code and the Polish Copyright and Related Rights Act shall apply.
- Baum, Ewa. 2010. Komórki macierzyste jako bioetyczny problem współczesnej medycyny. Poznań: Wydawnictwo Naukowe UMP.
- Bauman, Zygmut. 2006. Życie na przemiał. Kraków: Wydawnictwo Literackie.
- Chyrowicz, Barbara. 2008. O sytuacjach trudnych, bez wyjścia w etyce. Kraków: Znak.
- Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Dignity of the Human Being with regard to the Application of Biology and Medicine: Convention on Human Rights and Biomedicine. 1997. https://rm.coe.int/168007cf98.
- Christ, Michael et. al. 2010. Modern Triage in the Emergency Department. Deutsches Aerzteblatt Online. https://doi.org/10.3238/arztebl.2010.0892
- Dziamski, Grzegorz. 2016. Kulturoznawstwo, czyli wprowadzenie do kultury ponowoczesnej. Gdańsk: Wydawnictwo Katedra.
- Fraser, Nancy. 2014. Drogi Feminizmu. Warszawa: Wydawnictwo Krytyki Politycznej.
- Głowacki, Witold. 2020. „Koronawirus. Pozostawieni sami sobie i kneblowani lekarze prowadzą wojnę partyzancką z epidemią.” Polska Times. Retrieved March 30, 2020 (https://polskatimes.pl/koronawirus-pozostawieni-sami-sobie-i-kneblowani-lekarze-prowadza-wojne-partyzancka-z-epidemia/ar/c1-).
- Häring, Bernhard. 1994. „W służbie człowieka.” Ethos 1-2: 185-196.
- Hui, David et. al. 2020. “The continuing 2019-nCoV epidemic threat of novel coronaviruses to global health — The latest 2019 novel coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, China.” International Journal of Infectious Diseases, January 14, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2020.01.009
- Klein, Rudolf. 1993. “Dimension of rationing: who should do what?” British Medical Journal 308-311. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.307.6899.309
- Konstytucja Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej. 1997.
- La Sociedad Española de Medicina Intensiva. 2020. Retrieved March 30, 2020 (https://semicyuc.org).
- Legido-Quigley, Helena et al. 2020. “The resilience of the Spanish health system against the COVID-19 pandemic.” The Lancet, March 18. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S2468-2667(20)30060-8
- Li, Yan, & Xia Liming. 2020. “Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Role of Chest CT in Diagnosis and Management.” AJR. American Journal of Roentgenology. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.20.22954
- Naczelna Izba Lekarska, Kodeks Etyki Lekarskiej. 1994.
- Okręgowa Izba Lekarska w Warszawie. 2020. Sprzeciw OIL w Warszawie wobec rządowej propozycji zmian przepisów, https://izba-lekarska.pl/monitor-lekarski/oil-w-sprawie-zmiany-ustawy-o-covid/
- Osińska, Krystyna, ed. 1992. Refleksje nad etyką lekarską. Warszawa: Wydawnictwo Archidiecezji Warszawskiej.
- Ossowska, Maria.2000. Normy moralne. Warszawa: PWN.
- Pegoraro, Renzo et al. 2007. Hospital Based Bioethics. A European Perspective. Padva: PICCIN.
- Rosenbaum, Lisa. 2020. "Facing Covid-19 in Italy - Ethics, Logistics, and Therapeutics on the Epidemic’s Front Line." The New England Journal of Medicine. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp2005492
- Taubenberger, Jeffrey and David Morens. 2006. "1918 Influenza: the Mother of All Pandemics." Emerging Infectious Diseases. https://doi.org/10.3201/eid1201.050979
- Salwacka, Sylwia 2020. “Koronawirus. Centrum onkologii zamyka poradnie i diagnostykę. Musimy chronić chorych nawet za cenę opóźnienia terapii.” Gazeta Wyborcza. Retrieved March 30, 2020 (https://poznan.wyborcza.pl/poznan/7,36001,25792121,koronawirus-kontra-chorzy-na-raka-centrum-onkologii-zamyka.html).
- Shi, Leiyu and Douglas A. Singh, eds. 2011. The Nation's Health. London: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Spanish Society of internal Medicine. 2020. Retrieved March 30, 2020 (https://www.emedevents.com/organizer-profile/spanish-society-of-internal-medicine-semi).
- Tulczyński, Aleksander. 1975. Polskie lekarskie kodeksy deontologiczne. Warszawa: PZWL.
- Ustawa o zapobieganiu oraz zwalczaniu zakażeń i chorób zakaźnych u ludzi z dn. 5 grudnia 2008, Dz.U. 2008 nr 234 poz. 1570
- Warren, Maroka. 2020. “Roles of ethicists in covid-19 response.” Impact Ethics 18 March 2020. Retrieved March 30, 2020 (https://impactethics.ca/2020/03/18/roles-for-ethicists-in-covid-19-response/).
- Wielka Orkiestra Świątecznej Pomocy, Rozliczenia Finałów i roczne sprawozdania finansoweFundacji. 2020. Retrieved March 30, 2020 (https://www.wosp.org.pl/fundacja/wazne/rozliczenia#utm_source=strona&utm_medium=banner).
- Worldometers. 2020. Retrieved March 30, 2020 (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/).
- Żok, Agnieszka. 2018. „Troska czy opresja – współczesny dyskurs genetyczny w kontekście myśli transhumanistycznej.” Etyka 57: 87-99. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14394/37