Main Article Content
Similar to most cities in Europe/the world, Kosovo also faces the problem of urban mobility, which is characterised by congestion. The most concerning problems are: waste of time, money, energy consumption, environmental problems and others. They arise due to the imbalanced state of using urban mobility in Pristina (Prishtinë), while eco-travels are minor. In order to reduce these problems, this paper aimed to examine the current situation of urban mobility in Pristina by analysing the mobility indicators of cars, trains, buses, bicycles and walking, in relation to purpose, distance and time. The research methodology was the direct survey method conducted with the citizens of Pristina and daily immigrants over a week. The results of the survey showed that 44% of the participants used cars for travelling, while other transportation alternatives (soft and eco-transport) were limited and problematic. In the absence of institutional practices for collecting periodic data, the results of this study will not only contribute in filling the information gap, but also will properly address the needs for transportation planning in Pristina and design objectives for a multimodal transportation strategy in this city to lessen the negative impacts of the aforementioned problems and increase travel facilities.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (Applies from Vol. 39 No. 3. 2020)
To Vol.39 No. 3.2020:
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International CC BY-NC-ND 4.0
- Assembly of Republic of Kosovo, 2007. Law No. 2003/14, law adapted to UNMIK regulation (10.09.2003 UNMIK/REG/2003/30), Official Gazette of the Republic of Kosovo, 2007. Online: gzk.rks-gov.net/ActDetail.aspx?ActID=2471 (accessed 10 May 2019).
- Assembly of Republic of Kosovo, 2013. Law No. 04/L-174, Official Gazette of the Republic of Kosovo, 2013. Online: gzk.rks-gov.net/ActDocumentDetail.aspx?ActID=8865 (accessed 10 May 2019).
- Baker L., 2009. How to Get More Bicyclists on the Road. Scientific American. Online: www.scientificamerican.com/article/getting-more-bicyclists-on-the-road/ (accessed 18 March 2018).
- Banister D., 2008. The sustainable mobility paradigm. Transport Policy 15: 73–80. doi:10.1016/j.tranpol.2007.10.005.
- Beatley T., 1995. Planning and sustainability: The elements of a new (Improved?) Paradigm. Journal of Planning Literature 9(4): 383–395. DOI: 10.1177/088541229500900405.
- Blumenberg E., Taylor B., Ralph K., Wander M., Brumbaugh S., 2012. What’s Youth Got to Do with It? Exploring the Travel Behavior of Teens and Young Adults. University of California Transportation Center, University of California Los Angeles (UCTC-FR-2012-14) DOI: 10.1080/15389588.2014.880838.
- Department of Transport, 2013. Road Transport Forecasts 2013, London. Online: assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/225483/road-transport-forecasts-2013-extended-version.pdf (accessed 10 January 2019).
- Department of Transport, 2015. Understanding the drivers of road travel: current trends in and factors behind roads use, London. Online: assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/gov-ernment/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/703080/understanding-the-drivers-road_travel.pdf (accessed 10 January 2019).
- ECMT [European Conference of Ministers of Transport], 2004. Assessment and Decision Making For Sustainable Transport. OECD Publications Service. Online: www.itf-oecd.org/sites/default/files/docs/04assessment.pdf (accessed 12 February 2019).
- European Commission, 2011. White paper: Roadmap to a Single European Transport Area – Towards a competitive and resource efficient transport system, COM/2011/0144 final. Online: ec.europa.eu/transport/themes/strategies/2011_white_paper_en (accessed 15 July 2019) DOI:10.2832/30955.
- Focas C., Christidis P., 2017. What drives car use in Europe? European Commission, Joint Research Centre, EUR 28517 EN. DOI:10.2760/172631.
- Goodwin P., 2012. Three Views on ‘Peak Car’. World Transport, Policy & Practice 17(4): 8–17.
- Jorritsma P., Berveling J., 2014. Not car-less, but car-later: For young adults the car is still an attractive proposition. Netherlands Institute for Transport Policy Analysis, Ministry of Infrastructure and the Environment. Den Haag. Online:english.kimnet.nl/publications/documentsresearchpublications/2014/06/10/not-carless-but-car-later (accessed 22 July 2019).
- KAS [Kosovo Agency of Statistics], 2018a. Statistical yearbook of the Republic of Kosovo, Pristina. Online: ask.rks-gov.net/media/4369/statistical-yearbook-2018.pdf (accessed 14 August 2019).
- KAS [Kosovo Agency of Statistics], 2018b Serie 3: Economic Statistics, Transport and Telecommunication Statistics Q4 2017, Pristina. Online: ask.rks-gov.net/media/3843/transport-and-telecommunication-statistics-q4-2017.pdf (accessed 12 June 2019).
- Kelmendi N., 2012. Zonat gjeneruese dhe tërheqëse të trafikut në Kosovë, Aspekti socio-ekonomik (Generating and Attractive Traffic Zones in Kosovo, socio-economic aspect). MS. Department of Geography, Faculty of Mathematical and Natural Sciences, University of Pristina “Hasan Prishtina”, Pristina.
- KEPA [Kosovo Environmental Protection Agency], 2018. Raport vjetor për gjendjen e Mjedisit në Kosovë (Annual Report State of the Environment in Kosovo 2016), Ministry of Environment and Spatial Planning, Republic of Kosovo, Pristina. Online: ammkrks.net/repository/docs/Raporti_vjetor_per_gjendjen_e_mjedisit_web_version.pdf (accessed 10 February 2019).
- Kostallari A., Thomaj J., Lloshi Xh., Samara M, Kola J., Daka P., Haxhillazi P., Shehu H., Leka F., Lafe E, Sima K., Feka Th., Keta B., Hidi A., 1981. Fjalori i gjuhës së sotme shqipe (Dictionary of today’s Albanian language), In: Rilindja, Pristina.
- Le Vine S., Polak J., 2014. Factors Associated with Young Adults Delaying and Forgoing Driving Licences: Results from Britain. Traffic Injury Prevention, 15(8): 794–800. DOI: 10.1080/15389588.2014.88083.
- Metz D., 2010. Saturation of Demand for Daily Travel. Transport Reviews 30(5): 659–674. DOI: 10.1080/01441640903556361.
- MIT [Ministry of Infrastructure and Transportation], 2011. Report of traffic surveys, prepared by John Worthington from EGIS International Company. Republic of Kosovo, Pristina.
- MIT [Ministry of Infrastructure and Transportation], 2015. Strategjia Sektoriale dhe Transportit Multimodal 2015–2025 dhe Plani i veprimit 5 vjeçar (Multimodal Sectoral and Trans¬port Strategy 2015–2025 and 5 year Action Plan), Republic of Kosovo, Pristina. Online: https://kryeministri-ks.net/documents/strategjia-sektoriale-dhe-transportit-multimodal-2015-2025-dhe-plan-i-veprimit-5-vjeqar/ (accessed 05 January 2019).
- Municipality of Pristina, 2013a. Plani Zhvillimor Urban, Prishtina 2012–2022 (Urban Development Plan, Prishtina 2012–2022). Pristina Municipal Assembly, Pristina. Online: kk.rks-gov.net/prishtine/wpcontent/uploads/sites/45/2018/02/PZHU-_Prishtina.pdf (accessed 10 May 2019).
- Municipality of Pristina, 2013b. Plani Zhvillimor Komunal i Prishtinës 2012–2022 (Municipal Development Plan of Prishtina 2012–2022). Pristina Municipal Assembly, Pristina. Online: https://kk-arkiva.rks-gov.net/prishtina/getattachment/Municipality/Departments/Urbanizem,Ndertim-dhe-Mbr-Mjedisit/Urbanizmi/PZHK/Prishtina_PZHK_2012-2022_SHQIP.pdf.aspx (accessed 15 June 2019).
- Oxford’s free English and Spanish dictionaries, 2020. Destination. Online: www.lexico.com/en/definition/destination (accessed 19 August 2019).
- Pucher J., Buehler R., 2008. Making Cycling Irresistible: Lessons from the Netherlands, Denmark and Germany. Transport Reviews 28(4): 495–528. DOI: 10.1080/01441640701806612.
- Qarri R., 2019. Official email from Directory of the Information Office, date: 16 April 2019, Ministry of Internal Affairs, Republic of Kosovo.
- Steg L., Gifford R., 2005. Sustainable transportation and quality of life. Journal of Transport Geography 13: 59–69. DOI:10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2004.11.003.
- Trainkos, 2018. Raport vjetor 2017. Online: www.trainkos.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Raport-Vjetor-2017.pdf (accessed on 25 September 2018).
- Vocabulary.com, 2018. Online: https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/destination (accessed 12 December 2018).