Main Article Content
This paper mainly discusses the distribution and rhetorical functions of personal pronouns in English and Chinese legal news reports. Through the comparative analysis of some English and Chinese legal news texts, this paper finds the following points: English and Chinese legal news generally have two narrative types: objective narrative and semi-dialogic narrative. The differences in narrative type directly affect the distribution of personal pronouns. In objective narrative, the use of third person pronouns accounts for an absolute proportion, and the frequency of using first person and second person pronouns is close to zero. In semi-dialogic narrative, the use of third person pronouns is still the highest, but only slightly higher than the use of first person and second person pronouns, accounting for only a small number. After analysis, this paper holds that there are three reasons for the uneven distribution: first, the differences between the dialogic style and the narrative style; second, the legal narrative being a story narrative; third, the specific restrictions on the use of legal rhetoric.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
When submitting a paper the author agrees to the following publishing agreement and processing personal data.
PUBLICATION AGREEMENT, COPYRIGHT LICENSE, PERSONAL DATA PROCESSING CONSENT
This is a publication agreement and copyright license (“Agreement”) regarding a written manuscript currently submitted via Pressto platform
(“Article”) to be published in Comparative Legilinguistics International Journal for Legal Communication (“Journal”).
The parties to this Agreement are:
the Author or Authors of the submitted article (individually, or if more than one author, collectively, “Author”) and Comparative Legilinguistics International Journal for Legal Communication (“Publisher”), address al. Niepodległości 4, 61-874 Poznań, represented by its editor in chief Aleksandra Matulewska.
§1. LICENSE OF COPYRIGHT
a) The Author and the Publisher agree that the Author grants a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which is incorporated herein by reference and is further specified at Creative Commons — Attribution 4.0 International — CC BY 4.0 copyright license in the Article to the general public.
b) The Author grants to the Publisher a royalty-free, worldwide nonexclusive license to publish, reproduce, display, distribute, translate and use the Article in any form, either separately or as part of a collective work, including but not limited to a nonexclusive license to publish the Article in an issue of the Journal, copy and distribute individual reprints of the Article, authorize reproduction of the entire Article in another publication, and authorize reproduction and distribution of the Article or an abstract thereof by means of computerized retrieval systems (such as Westlaw, Lexis and SSRN). The Author retains ownership of all rights under copyright in the Article, and all rights not expressly granted in this Agreement.
c) The Author grants to the Publisher the power to assign, sublicense or otherwise transfer any and all licenses expressly granted to the Publisher under this Agreement.
d) Republication. The Author agrees to require that the Publisher be given credit as the original publisher in any republication of the Article authorized by the Author. If the Publisher authorizes any other party to republish the Article under the terms of paragraphs 1c and 1 of this Agreement, the Publisher shall require such party to ensure that the Author is credited as the Author.
§2. EDITING OF THE ARTICLE
a) The Author agrees that the Publisher may edit the Article as suitable for publication in the Journal. To the extent that the Publisher’s edits amount to copyrightable works of authorship, the Publisher hereby assigns all right, title, and interest in such edits to the Author.
a) The Author represents and warrants that to the best of the Author’s knowledge the Article does not defame any person, does not invade the privacy of any person, and does not in any other manner infringe upon the rights of any person. The Author agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Publisher against all such claims.
b) The Author represents and warrants that the Author has full power and authority to enter into this Agreement and to grant the licenses granted in this Agreement.
c) The Author represents and warrants that the Article furnished to the Publisher has not been published previously. For purposes of this paragraph, making a copy of the Article accessible over the Internet, including, but not limited to, posting the Article to a database accessible over the Internet, does not constitute prior publication so long as the as such copy indicates that the Article is not in final form, such as by designating such copy to be a “draft,” a “working paper,” or “work-in-progress”. The Author agrees to hold harmless the Publisher, its licensees and distributees, from any claim, action, or proceeding alleging facts that constitute a breach of any warranty enumerated in this paragraph.
a) The agreement was concluded for an unspecified time.
a) The Author agrees and acknowledges that the Author will receive no payment from the Publisher for use of the Article or the licenses granted in this Agreement.
b) The Publisher agrees and acknowledges that the Publisher will not receive any payment from the Author for publication by the Publisher.
§6. ENTIRE AGREEMENT
a) This Agreement supersedes any and all other agreements, either oral or in writing, between the Author and the Publisher with respect to the subject of this Agreement. This Agreement contains all of the warranties and agreements between the parties with respect to the Article, and each party acknowledges that no representations, inducements, promises, or agreements have been made by or on behalf of any party except those warranties and agreements embodied in this Agreement.
b) In all cases not regulated by this Agreement, legal provisions of Polish Copyright Act and Polish Civil Code shall apply.
c) Any disputes arising from the enforcement of obligations connected with this Agreement shall be resolved by a court competent for the headquarters of the Publisher.
d) Any amendments or additions to the Agreement must be made in writing and signed by authorised representative of both parties, otherwise being ineffective.
e) This Agreement is signed electronically and the submission of the article via the PRESSto platform is considered as the conclusion of the Agreement by the Author and the Publisher.
f) Clause for consent to the processing of personal data - general
g) The Author shall give his or her consent to the processing of their personal data in accordance with the Act of 10 May 2018 on the protection of personal data and Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of persons physical in connection with the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) for the purpose and in connection with making publications available on the PRESSto scientific journals platform and DeGruyter platform, guaranteeing the security of services rendered, and improving them.
I HAVE READ AND AGREE FULLY WITH THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.
The Author The Publisher
- Chen, Ping 陈平. 2015. Yuyanxue de Yige Hexin Gainian “Zhicheng” Wenti Yanjiu 语言学的一个核心概念“指称”问题研究 [On the Referentiality – the Core Concept of Linguistics]. Dangdai Xiucixue 当代修辞学Contemporary Rhetoric 3: 1-5.
- Liao, Meizhen 廖美珍. 2004. Mudi Yuanze yu Fating Hudong Huayu Hezuo Wenti Yanjiu目的原则与法庭互动话语合作问题研究 [Research on the principle of goal and the cooperation of interactive discourses in court]. Waiyu Xuekan 外语学刊Foreign Language Research 5: 43-52.
- Liao, Meizhen 廖美珍. 2005. Mudi Yuanze yu Yupian Lianguan Fenxi 目的原则与语篇连贯分析 [The principle of goal and analysis of discourse coherence – A new approach to the study of discourse coherence]. Waiyu Jiaoxue yu Yanjiu 外语教学与研究Foreign Language Teaching and Research 5: 351-357.
- Niu, Jiezhen, and Wang, Suying 牛洁珍，王素英. 2010. Falv Yingyu de Wenti Tezheng yu Fanyi Celue 法律英语的问题特征与翻译策略 [Problem characteristics and translation strategies of legal English]. Hebei Faxue 河北法学Hebei Law Science 3: 148-150.
- Xue, Chaofeng 薛朝凤. 2011. Fazhi Xinwen Huayu Xushi Yanjiu 法制新闻话语叙事研究 [Discourse Narrative Research of Legal News]. Boshi Xuewei Lunwen 博士学位论文PhD diss. Shanghai Waiguoyu Daxue上海外国语大学Shanghai Foreign Studies University.
- Xue, Chaofeng 薛朝凤. 2012. Woguo Fazhi Xinwen Xushi Moshi 我国法制新闻叙事模式 [Narrative mode of legal news in China]. Guoji Xiucixue Yanjiu 国际修辞学研究International Rhetoric Research 00: 168-183.
- Zhang, Qing, and Gong, Mingyu 张清，宫明玉. 2013. Zhongmei Xingshi Panjueshu Qingtai Duibi Yanjiu 中美刑事判决书情态对比研究 [A comparative study of modality in America and Chinese criminal judgments]. Shanxi Daxue Xuebao 山西大学学报Journal of Shanxi University 1: 82-87.
- Zhang, Ruirong 张瑞嵘. 2013. Falv Yingyu zhong de Mohu Yuyan jiqi Fanyi Celue Yanjiu 法律英语中的模糊语言及其翻译策略研究 [Research on fuzzy language in legal English and its translation strategies]. Lilun Yuekan 理论月刊Theory Monthly 12: 105-108.
- Zou, Yuzhen邹雨真. 2006. Dui Hanyu Zhuyu de Shengcheng Yufa Yanjiu 对汉语主语的生成语法研究 [A Generative Approach to Chinese Subjects]. Shuoshi Xuewei Lunwen硕士学位论文Thesis. Zhongnan Daxue中南大学Central South University.