Main Article Content
In the early 2000s, Hwang Seok-young published three full-length novels. They were The Old Garden (2000), The Guest (2001) and Sim-Cheong (2003). The return trilogy attracted much attention in that they were works that informed Hwang Seok-yeong’s return to the Korean literary world. He visited North Korea in 1989 and exiled in Germany until 1993. He was imprisoned shortly after returning home in 1993 and imprisoned until 1998. Conflict and anguish due to his personal history overlap in the three works. It was the thematic focus of ‘return’. ‘Return’ is not simply returning. Above all, it is an encounter with ‘self-absence’ and is the most positive return to think of ‘today’. Furthermore, the final goal is to reconcile with the present. Therefore, the three long-time narratives he published were Hwang Seok-young’s return process as a writer.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
When submitting a paper the author agrees to the following publishing agreement and processing personal data.
PUBLICATION AGREEMENT, COPYRIGHT LICENSE, PERSONAL DATA PROCESSING CONSENT
This is a publication agreement and copyright license (“Agreement”) regarding a written manuscript currently submitted via Pressto Platform
(“Article”) to be published in International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences (“Journal”).
The parties to this Agreement are:
the Author or Authors of the submitted article (individually, or if more than one author, collectively, “Author”) and International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences (“Publisher”), address al. Niepodległości 4, 61-874 Poznań, represented by its editor in chief Oh Kyong-Geun.
- 1. LICENSE OF COPYRIGHT
- a) The Author and the Publisher agree that the Author grants a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike 4.0 International License, which is incorporated herein by reference and is further specified at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/legalcode copyright license in the Article to the general public.
- b) The Author grants to the Publisher a royalty-free, worldwide nonexclusive license to publish, reproduce, display, distribute, translate and use the Article in any form, either separately or as part of a collective work, including but not limited to a nonexclusive license to publish the Article in an issue of the Journal, copy and distribute individual reprints of the Article, authorize reproduction of the entire Article in another publication, and authorize reproduction and distribution of the Article or an abstract thereof by means of computerized retrieval systems (such as Westlaw, Lexis and SSRN). The Author retains ownership of all rights under copyright in the Article, and all rights not expressly granted in this Agreement.
- c) The Author grants to the Publisher the power to assign, sublicense or otherwise transfer any and all licenses expressly granted to the Publisher under this Agreement.
- d) Republication. The Author agrees to require that the Publisher be given credit as the original publisher in any republication of the Article authorized by the Author. If the Publisher authorizes any other party to republish the Article under the terms of paragraphs 1c and 1 of this Agreement, the Publisher shall require such party to ensure that the Author is credited as the Author.
- 2. EDITING OF THE ARTICLE
- a) The Author agrees that the Publisher may edit the Article as suitable for publication in the Journal. To the extent that the Publisher’s edits amount to copyrightable works of authorship, the Publisher hereby assigns all right, title, and interest in such edits to the Author.
- 3. WARRANTIES
- a) The Author represents and warrants that to the best of the Author’s knowledge the Article does not defame any person, does not invade the privacy of any person, and does not in any other manner infringe upon the rights of any person. The Author agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Publisher against all such claims.
- b) The Author represents and warrants that the Author has full power and authority to enter into this Agreement and to grant the licenses granted in this Agreement.
- c) The Author represents and warrants that the Article furnished to the Publisher has not been published previously. For purposes of this paragraph, making a copy of the Article accessible over the Internet, including, but not limited to, posting the Article to a database accessible over the Internet, does not constitute prior publication so long as the as such copy indicates that the Article is not in final form, such as by designating such copy to be a “draft,” a “working paper,” or “work-in-progress”. The Author agrees to hold harmless the Publisher, its licensees and distributees, from any claim, action, or proceeding alleging facts that constitute a breach of any warranty enumerated in this paragraph.
- 4. TERM
- a) The agreement was concluded for an unspecified time.
- 5. PAYMENT
- a) The Author agrees and acknowledges that the Author will receive no payment from the Publisher for use of the Article or the licenses granted in this Agreement.
- b) The Publisher agrees and acknowledges that the Publisher will not receive any payment from the Author for publication by the Publisher.
- 6. ENTIRE AGREEMENT
- a) This Agreement supersedes any and all other agreements, either oral or in writing, between the Author and the Publisher with respect to the subject of this Agreement. This Agreement contains all of the warranties and agreements between the parties with respect to the Article, and each party acknowledges that no representations, inducements, promises, or agreements have been made by or on behalf of any party except those warranties and agreements embodied in this Agreement.
- b) In all cases not regulated by this Agreement, legal provisions of Polish Copyright Act and Polish Civil Code shall apply.
- c) Any disputes arising from the enforcement of obligations connected with this Agreement shall be resolved by a court competent for the headquarters of the Publisher.
- d) Any amendments or additions to the Agreement must be made in writing and signed by authorised representative of both parties, otherwise being ineffective.
- e) This Agreement is signed electronically and the submission of the article via the PRESSto platform is considered as the conclusion of the Agreement by the Author and the Publisher.
- f) Clause for consent to the processing of personal data - general
- g) The Author shall give his or her consent to the processing of their personal data in accordance with the Act of 10 May 2018 on the protection of personal data and Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of persons physical in connection with the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) for the purpose and in connection with making publications available on the PRESSto scientific journals platform, guaranteeing the security of services rendered, and improving them.
I HAVE READ AND AGREE FULLY WITH THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.
The Author The Publisher
- 강용훈 (Kang Yong-hoon). 2007. 황석영 장편소설에 나타난 귀환의 의미 Hwang Seok-yeong jangpyeon soseol-e natanan gwihwan-ui uimi (A Study on the meaning of the returning in Hwang Suk-Young’s Novel). 한국문예비평연구Hangug Munyebipyeong yeongu (Korean Literary Review) 24: 259-283
- 권경미 (Kwon Kyong-mi). 2013. 지식인 주체의 생존 현실 인식과 저항의 서사 Jisigin juche-ui saengjon hyeonsil insig-gwa jeohang-ui seosa (The Recognition of Survival Reality of Intellectuals subject and the Narrative of Resistance), 한국문예창작 Hangug Munye Changjag (Korean Literary Creative Writing) 12-1: 207-235.
- 남진우 (Nam Jin-woo). 2000. 돌의 정원: 황석영 소설과 알레고리적 상상력 Dol-ui jeongweon: Hwang Seok-yeong soseol-gwa allegorijeog sangsangryeog (Stone Garden: Hwang Seok-yeong’s Novel and Allegory Imagination), 문학동네 Munhakdongne 2000, vol. 7 (3): 1-19.
- 문재원 (Mun Jae-won). 2006. 황석영의 “심청”의 근대성과 탈근대성 Hwang Seokyeong-ui Simcheong-ui geundaeseong-gwa talgeundaeseong (A Study on Soggyung Hwang’s Shim Chong’s modernity and post-modernity), 한국문학논총 韓國文學論叢 Hangug Munhag Nonchong (Korea Publications) 43: 351-375.
- 백영서 (Baek Yeong-seo). 1992. 분단체제의 인식을 위하여 Bundan cheje-ui insig-eul wihayeo (For the Recognition of the Divided System), 창작과비평 Changjag-gwa Bipyeong (The Quarterly Changbi) 1992, Winter: 288-309.
- 서영채 (Seo Yeong-chae). 2004. 창녀 심청과 세 개의 진혼제 Chanyeo Simcheong-gwa se gae-ui jinhongje (Simcheong as a Prostitute and Three Repose of Souls), 문학동네 Munhakdongne 2004. Vol. 11 (1):1-15.
- 양진오 (Yang Jin-oh). 2001. 해원하는 영혼과 죽어가는 노인들 - 황석영의 “손님” 과 김원일의 „슬픈 시간의 기억„ Haeweon-haneun Yeonghon-gwa jugyeoganeun noindeul – Hwang Seok-yeong-ui “Sonnim”-gwa KimWeon-il-ui “Seulpeun sigan-ui gieog (The Miseries of the Soul and the Dying Old Men), 문학과사회 Munhag-gwa Sahoe (Literature and Society), 2001. Vol. 14 (3): 1229-1238.
- 오생근 (Oh Saeng Geun). 2003. „오래된 정원” 과 시간을 이기는 사랑의 힘 „Oraedwen Jeongweon”-gwa siganeul igineun sarang-ui him (The Old Garden and the Power of Love over Time), In: 황석영 문학의 세계 Hwang Seok-yeong Munhag-ui segye (The World of Hwang Seok-yeong’s Novel), 최원식·임홍배 편 (Choi Won-sik and Leem Hong-bae)(eds.), pp. 81-99. Seoul: 창비Changbi.
- 오태호 (Oh Tae-ho). 2005a. 오래된 서사 Oraedwen Seosa (An Old Narrative), Seoul: 하늘연못 Haneul-yeongmot.
- 오태호 (Oh Tae-ho). 2005b. 황석영 소설에 나타난 이데올로기적 주체의 변화 양상 고찰 Hwang Seok-hyeong soseol-e natanan ideollogijeog juche-ui byeonghwa yangsang gochal (A Study for changing of ‘Ideologic subjects’ in Hwang Seok-young’s Novels), 국제어문 Gugje Eomun (International Language and Literature) 33: 263-291.
- 이재영 (Lee Jae-Yeong). 2003. 진실과 화해 – „손님”론 Jinsil-gwa hwahae – „Sonnim”-ron. In: 황석영 문학의 세계 Hwang Seok-yeong Munhag-ui segye (The World of Hwang Seok-yeong’s Novel) 최원식·임홍배 편 (Choi Won-sik and Leem Hong-bae) (eds.), pp.100-116. Seoul: 창비Changbi.
- 최원식 (Choi Won-sik). 2001. 나와 우리, 그리고 세상 Na-wa uri, geurigo sesang (I, We, and World), 창작과비평 Changjag-gwa Bipyeong (The Quarterly Changbi), 2001, vol. 3: 36-59.
- 한모니까 (Han Monica). 2015. 남·북한의 ‘수복시구’와 ‘신해방지구’ 편입 비교 Nam-Bukhan-ui subogsigu-wa sinhaebang jigu pyeonib bigyo (A Comparison of the Integration of the “Newly Liberated Areas” and “Retaken Areas” in North and South Korea), 동방학지 Dongbang Hagji (The Journal of Korean Studies) no.170: 233-264.
- 황석영 (Hwang Seok-yeong). 2000. 오래된 정원 Oreadwen Jeongweon (The Old Garden) (1). Seoul: 창비 Changbi.
- 황석영 (Hwang Seok-yeong). 2000. 오래된 정원Oraedwen Jeongweon (The Old Garden) (2). Seoul: 창비 Changbi.
- 황석영 (Hwang Seok-yeong). 2001. 손님 Sonnim (The Guest). Seoul: 창비 Changbi.
- 황석영 (Hwang Seok-yeong). 2003. 심청 (Sim Cheong) (1). Seoul: 창비 Changbi.
- 황석영 (Hwang Seok-yeong). 2003. 심청 (Sim Cheong) (2). Seoul: 창비 Changbi.