The article tries to examine and define the inner self of literature in the 1920s, now considered the birth of modern Korean literature. The interiority of 1920’s literature is widely accepted as the transition period between the birth (the 1910s, the Enlightenment) and maturation (1930s, Modernism), and as a reflection of the tragic situation after 1919. However, in the light of the symptom that determines the structure of desire, the inner self of 1920’s literature could be identified as a “person who denies loss”, a pervasive attitude. And it also could provide a critical reading along with some directivity, which is meaningful to concepts such as self-relation and the other relations that construct the individual. This paper examines this perspective of inner self within 1920’s literature of Kim Eok and Han Yong-un, so as to set an intrinsic standard that would enable scholars to evaluate the literary value of the 1920’s. Above all, through the Symptomatic Identification approach, this study will conduct archeological and genealogical research that could be helpful to today’s discourse.
Adorno, Theodor W., trans. Knut Tarnowski and Frederic Will, 1973. The Jargon of Authenticity. Evanston: Northwestern University Press.
Choi, Ho-Young (최호영). 2014. 1920년대 초기 시에 나타난 “거리감”의 도입과 숭고시학에 관한 시론 1920-nyeon chogi si-e natanan ‘georigam’-ui doib-gwa sunggo-sihag-e gwanhan siron (A Poetic Theory on the Introduction of ‘Distance’ in early 1920s poetry and Sublime Poetics). 민족문학사연구 Minjog Munhag-sa Yeongu (Journal of Korean Literary History) 54: 271-298.
Dor, Joël, trans. Joon-ki Hong. 2013. 구조와 도착증 Gujo-wa dochagjeung (Structure et perversions). Seoul: Anake Publisher.
Foucault, Michel. 1964. Le Mallarme de Jean-Pierre Richard. Annales 19-5. ed. Étienne Anheim. 996-1004. Paris: EHESS.
Han, Yong-un (한용운). 1926. 님의 침묵 Nim-ui chimmog (The Lover’s Silence). 서울 Seoul: 희동석완 Hoedong-Seokwan.
Han, Yong-un, trans. Francisca Cho. 2013. Everything yearned for. Somerville: Wisdom Publication.
Jeong, Myeong-Kyo (정명교). 2013. 위기가 아닌 적이 없었다. 그러나 때마다 위기는 달랐다 Wigi-ga anin jeog-I eobseotta. Geureona ddae-mada dallattda. (Always crisis, but different meanings). 현대문학의 연구 Hyeondae munhag-ui yeongu (The Journal of Modern Korean Literature) 51: 7-38.
Miller, Jacques-Alain. 1996. “On perversion”. In Reading seminars I and II. (eds). Feldstein Richard, Fink Bruce and Maire Jaanus. pp. 306-320. New York: State University of New York Press.
Kim, Seok (김석). 2017. 주체화와 정신분석의 윤리 Juchehwa-wa jeongsin bunseog-ui yulli (Subjectivization and the ethics of desire). 문학치료연구 Munhag Jiryo Yeongu (The Society of Korean Literary Therapy) 42: 77-105.
Kojin, Karatani, trans. Brett de Bary, 1993. Origins of Modern Japanese Literature. Durham: Duke University Press.
Richard, Jean-Pierre, trans. Young-ae Yoon. 1984. 시와 깊이 Si-wa kipi (Poésie et profondeur). 서울 Seoul: 민음사 Mineumsa
Tagore, Rabindranath. 1914. Gitanjali. New York: Macmillan and Co.
Tagore, Rabindranath, trans. Kim Eok. 1923. 기탄자리 Gitanjali. 서울 Seoul: 희동석완 Hoedong-Seokwan.
Taylor, Charles, trans. Young-bae Song. 1991. 불안한 현대사회 Buranhan hyeondae sahoe (The Malaise of Modernity). Seoul: EHAK Publisher.
Yeats, William Butler. 1914. “Introduction”. In Gitanjali. Rabindranath Tagore, pp. vii-xxii. New York: Macmillan And Co.
When submitting a paper the author agrees to the following publishing agreement and processing personal data.
PUBLICATION AGREEMENT, COPYRIGHT LICENSE, PERSONAL DATA PROCESSING CONSENT
This is a publication agreement and copyright license (“Agreement”) regarding a written manuscript currently submitted via Pressto Platform
(“Article”) to be published in International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences (“Journal”).
The parties to this Agreement are:
the Author or Authors of the submitted article (individually, or if more than one author, collectively, “Author”) and International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences (“Publisher”), address al. Niepodległości 4, 61-874 Poznań, represented by its editor in chief Oh Kyong-Geun.
- 1. LICENSE OF COPYRIGHT
- a) The Author and the Publisher agree that the Author grants a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which is incorporated herein by reference and is further specified at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed.en copyright license in the Article to the general public.
- b) The Author grants to the Publisher a royalty-free, worldwide nonexclusive license to publish, reproduce, display, distribute, translate and use the Article in any form, either separately or as part of a collective work, including but not limited to a nonexclusive license to publish the Article in an issue of the Journal, copy and distribute individual reprints of the Article, authorize reproduction of the entire Article in another publication, and authorize reproduction and distribution of the Article or an abstract thereof by means of computerized retrieval systems (such as Westlaw, Lexis and SSRN). The Author retains ownership of all rights under copyright in the Article, and all rights not expressly granted in this Agreement.
- c) The Author grants to the Publisher the power to assign, sublicense or otherwise transfer any and all licenses expressly granted to the Publisher under this Agreement.
- d) Republication. The Author agrees to require that the Publisher be given credit as the original publisher in any republication of the Article authorized by the Author. If the Publisher authorizes any other party to republish the Article under the terms of paragraphs 1c and 1 of this Agreement, the Publisher shall require such party to ensure that the Author is credited as the Author.
- 2. EDITING OF THE ARTICLE
- a) The Author agrees that the Publisher may edit the Article as suitable for publication in the Journal. To the extent that the Publisher’s edits amount to copyrightable works of authorship, the Publisher hereby assigns all right, title, and interest in such edits to the Author.
- 3. WARRANTIES
- a) The Author represents and warrants that to the best of the Author’s knowledge the Article does not defame any person, does not invade the privacy of any person, and does not in any other manner infringe upon the rights of any person. The Author agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Publisher against all such claims.
- b) The Author represents and warrants that the Author has full power and authority to enter into this Agreement and to grant the licenses granted in this Agreement.
- c) The Author represents and warrants that the Article furnished to the Publisher has not been published previously. For purposes of this paragraph, making a copy of the Article accessible over the Internet, including, but not limited to, posting the Article to a database accessible over the Internet, does not constitute prior publication so long as the as such copy indicates that the Article is not in final form, such as by designating such copy to be a “draft,” a “working paper,” or “work-in-progress”. The Author agrees to hold harmless the Publisher, its licensees and distributees, from any claim, action, or proceeding alleging facts that constitute a breach of any warranty enumerated in this paragraph.
- 4. TERM
- a) The agreement was concluded for an unspecified time.
- 5. PAYMENT
- a) The Author agrees and acknowledges that the Author will receive no payment from the Publisher for use of the Article or the licenses granted in this Agreement.
- b) The Publisher agrees and acknowledges that the Publisher will not receive any payment from the Author for publication by the Publisher.
- 6. ENTIRE AGREEMENT
- a) This Agreement supersedes any and all other agreements, either oral or in writing, between the Author and the Publisher with respect to the subject of this Agreement. This Agreement contains all of the warranties and agreements between the parties with respect to the Article, and each party acknowledges that no representations, inducements, promises, or agreements have been made by or on behalf of any party except those warranties and agreements embodied in this Agreement.
- b) In all cases not regulated by this Agreement, legal provisions of Polish Copyright Act and Polish Civil Code shall apply.
- c) Any disputes arising from the enforcement of obligations connected with this Agreement shall be resolved by a court competent for the headquarters of the Publisher.
- d) Any amendments or additions to the Agreement must be made in writing and signed by authorised representative of both parties, otherwise being ineffective.
- e) This Agreement is signed electronically and the submission of the article via the PRESSto platform is considered as the conclusion of the Agreement by the Author and the Publisher.
- f) Clause for consent to the processing of personal data - general
- g) The Author shall give his or her consent to the processing of their personal data in accordance with the Act of 10 May 2018 on the protection of personal data and Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of persons physical in connection with the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) for the purpose and in connection with making publications available on the PRESSto scientific journals platform, guaranteeing the security of services rendered, and improving them.
I HAVE READ AND AGREE FULLY WITH THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.
The Author The Publisher