Main Article Content
Kim Sowol is one of the Korean poets who opened the horizon of modern poetry in Korea. His poem, “Azaleas”(1925) has been known as a masterpiece which Korean people love most to recite as “To Cassandra” of Pierre de Ronsard in France. Nevertheless, this poem has been taken for the highest expression of the traditional sentiment without being appreciated for the quality of the modern poetry as follows: Koreans have sung for a long time the sorrow from the parting with the lover. In “Azaleas”, any reader can see easily the repeat of the same situation and same feeling.
In this article I analyzed the attitude and the intention of the speaker of this poem and reinterpret the theme of poem. In doing so, I found the clever strategy of the speaker in front of the irreversible situation to press secretly the reflection of the lover about his departure. This strategy is the invention of the modern [wo]man which can appropriate the crisis. So, I defined the modern characteristic of this poem and proved that this poem is not a repeated expression of the traditional feeling of the Koreans, but the de/re-construction of that.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
When submitting a paper the author agrees to the following publishing agreement and processing personal data.
PUBLICATION AGREEMENT, COPYRIGHT LICENSE, PERSONAL DATA PROCESSING CONSENT
This is a publication agreement and copyright license (“Agreement”) regarding a written manuscript currently submitted via Pressto Platform
(“Article”) to be published in International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences (“Journal”).
The parties to this Agreement are:
the Author or Authors of the submitted article (individually, or if more than one author, collectively, “Author”) and International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences (“Publisher”), address al. Niepodległości 4, 61-874 Poznań, represented by its editor in chief Oh Kyong-Geun.
- 1. LICENSE OF COPYRIGHT
- a) The Author and the Publisher agree that the Author grants a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike 4.0 International License, which is incorporated herein by reference and is further specified at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/legalcode copyright license in the Article to the general public.
- b) The Author grants to the Publisher a royalty-free, worldwide nonexclusive license to publish, reproduce, display, distribute, translate and use the Article in any form, either separately or as part of a collective work, including but not limited to a nonexclusive license to publish the Article in an issue of the Journal, copy and distribute individual reprints of the Article, authorize reproduction of the entire Article in another publication, and authorize reproduction and distribution of the Article or an abstract thereof by means of computerized retrieval systems (such as Westlaw, Lexis and SSRN). The Author retains ownership of all rights under copyright in the Article, and all rights not expressly granted in this Agreement.
- c) The Author grants to the Publisher the power to assign, sublicense or otherwise transfer any and all licenses expressly granted to the Publisher under this Agreement.
- d) Republication. The Author agrees to require that the Publisher be given credit as the original publisher in any republication of the Article authorized by the Author. If the Publisher authorizes any other party to republish the Article under the terms of paragraphs 1c and 1 of this Agreement, the Publisher shall require such party to ensure that the Author is credited as the Author.
- 2. EDITING OF THE ARTICLE
- a) The Author agrees that the Publisher may edit the Article as suitable for publication in the Journal. To the extent that the Publisher’s edits amount to copyrightable works of authorship, the Publisher hereby assigns all right, title, and interest in such edits to the Author.
- 3. WARRANTIES
- a) The Author represents and warrants that to the best of the Author’s knowledge the Article does not defame any person, does not invade the privacy of any person, and does not in any other manner infringe upon the rights of any person. The Author agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Publisher against all such claims.
- b) The Author represents and warrants that the Author has full power and authority to enter into this Agreement and to grant the licenses granted in this Agreement.
- c) The Author represents and warrants that the Article furnished to the Publisher has not been published previously. For purposes of this paragraph, making a copy of the Article accessible over the Internet, including, but not limited to, posting the Article to a database accessible over the Internet, does not constitute prior publication so long as the as such copy indicates that the Article is not in final form, such as by designating such copy to be a “draft,” a “working paper,” or “work-in-progress”. The Author agrees to hold harmless the Publisher, its licensees and distributees, from any claim, action, or proceeding alleging facts that constitute a breach of any warranty enumerated in this paragraph.
- 4. TERM
- a) The agreement was concluded for an unspecified time.
- 5. PAYMENT
- a) The Author agrees and acknowledges that the Author will receive no payment from the Publisher for use of the Article or the licenses granted in this Agreement.
- b) The Publisher agrees and acknowledges that the Publisher will not receive any payment from the Author for publication by the Publisher.
- 6. ENTIRE AGREEMENT
- a) This Agreement supersedes any and all other agreements, either oral or in writing, between the Author and the Publisher with respect to the subject of this Agreement. This Agreement contains all of the warranties and agreements between the parties with respect to the Article, and each party acknowledges that no representations, inducements, promises, or agreements have been made by or on behalf of any party except those warranties and agreements embodied in this Agreement.
- b) In all cases not regulated by this Agreement, legal provisions of Polish Copyright Act and Polish Civil Code shall apply.
- c) Any disputes arising from the enforcement of obligations connected with this Agreement shall be resolved by a court competent for the headquarters of the Publisher.
- d) Any amendments or additions to the Agreement must be made in writing and signed by authorised representative of both parties, otherwise being ineffective.
- e) This Agreement is signed electronically and the submission of the article via the PRESSto platform is considered as the conclusion of the Agreement by the Author and the Publisher.
- f) Clause for consent to the processing of personal data - general
- g) The Author shall give his or her consent to the processing of their personal data in accordance with the Act of 10 May 2018 on the protection of personal data and Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of persons physical in connection with the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) for the purpose and in connection with making publications available on the PRESSto scientific journals platform, guaranteeing the security of services rendered, and improving them.
I HAVE READ AND AGREE FULLY WITH THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.
The Author The Publisher
- Apollinaire, Guillaume. 1918. L'Esprit nouveau et les Poètes(1917), Mercure de France, vol. 130, no. 491 (December, 1): 385-96
- Barthes, Roland. 1964/1993. Deux Critiques. In Essais Critiques (1964), Œuvres Complètes - Tome 1 : 1942-1965, pp. 1352-1356. Paris: Éditions du Seuil.
- Jeong, Woo-taek. 2012. Modern Poetry and the Arirang. [in:] Arirang Festival – The publishing book of the Symposium, Arirang in Cultures, Arirang in the World, co-arranged by The Korean Ministry of Culture and The International Association of Comparative Korean Studies at The Korean National Museum, Seoul, June 15. 2012.
- Jeong, Myeong Kyo (정명교). 2006. 한국 현대시에서 서정성의 확대가 일어나기까지 Hangug hyeondaesi-eseo seojeongseong-ui hwagdae-ga ironagi-ggaji (Before the Expansion of Lyricism in Modern Korean Poetry). 한국시학연구 Hangug si-hag yeongu (Korean Poetics Studies), No. 16 (2006):49-80.
- Kim, Ŏk (김억). 1923. 시단 의 일년 Sidan-ui Illyeon (The Year in Poetry). 개벽 開闢 Kaebyok [monthly] 42 (December).
- Kim, Ŏk (김억). 1935. The Unfortunate Poet Who Died Young. Joseon Joongangilbo. January 22-26.
- Kim, Sowol (김소월). 1922. 진달래꽃 Jindallae-ggot (Azaleas), 개벽 開闢 Kaebyok [monthly] 25th July.
- Kim, Sowol. 2007. Azaleas, transl. by David McCann. New York : Columbia University Press.
- Kim, Sowol. transl. by Jaihiun J. Kim and Ronald B. Hatch. 1998. Fugitive Dreams: Poems by Sowŏl Kim. Vancouver: Ronsdale Press.
- Lee, Peter H. (ed). 1990. Modern Korean Literature. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press.
- Lee, Ki-moon. 1995. On Language in the Poetry of Kim Sowol. In Kim Sowol. The Modern Interpretation of Korean Literature. ed. Kim, Hakdong. pp. 165-192. Seoul: The Sogang University Press.
- Lukács, Georg. 1971. The Theory of the Novel. A Historico-philosophical Essay on the Forms of Great Epic Literature. Trans. Anna Bostock. Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press:
- Micha, Alexandre. 1976. De la chanson de geste au roman. Genève: Droz.
- Sartre, Jean-Paul. 1947. Huis clos suivi de Les mouches. Paris: Gallimard
- Yoon, Seonghyun. 2007. The Beauty of Popular Songs de Goryeo. Seoul: Taehaksa