This article aims to shed light on the transgression of legal text in Late Joseon Korea. Legal text of Joseon contains ‘self-confession’ that reveals the cracks of yechi 예치 禮治, dominance under the Confucian norm. In this regard, this article reviews the principles of penal administration and legal culture in late Joseon period which functioned as the mechanism to produce dominant discourses to control transgressions. In particular, focusing on Heumheumsinseo 흠흠신서 欽欽新書 written by Jeong Yakyong 정약용 丁若鏞 (1762-1836), which contains most diverse types of legal texts, this article takes the transgression of genre of legal texts into consideration. Through this, how the secular genre of legal text obtains the cultural reality and reveals the suppressed social discourse would be explained.
Bodde, Derk, and Clarence Morris. 1967. Law in Imperial China. Massachusetts: Harvard University Press.
Choi, Chongko (최종고). 2006. Law and Custom in Korean Society: A Historical and Jurisprudential Approach. 서울대학교 법학 Seoul Daehakgyo Beophak (Seoul Law Journal) 47: 220-252.
Chugwanji 추관지 秋官志. Joseon Sidae Beopryeong Jaryo 조선시대 법령자료 (Database on the Laws and Regulations of the Joseon Dynasty). http://db.history.go.kr/law/item/level.do?levelId=jlawb_200_0010_0090_0020_0130&position=1 (accessed December 6, 2020).
Chugwanji 추관지 秋官志. vol.1. 1975. ed. 법제처 Beopjecheo (Ministry of Government Legislation). 서울: 서울印刷株式會社 Seoul: Seoul Insoe Jusik Hoesa.
Gukyeok Simnirok 국역 심리록 (Simnirok in Korean Translation) 6 vols. 1998-2007. 서울: 민족문화추진회 Seoul: Minjok Munhwa Chujinhoe.
Jeon, Myungyong (전명용), Jeon Hongcheol (전홍철), Yun Byeongsu (윤병수), Sim Gyuho (심규호), and Yang Chungryeol (양충렬), trans. 1997. 중국고대윤리학 Jungkuk Godae Yullihak (Chinese Ancient Ethics). 서울: 이론과 실천 Seoul: Yiron-gwa Silcheon.
Kang, Hyejong (강혜종). 2009. 흠흠신서의 구성과 서술방식 연구 (Heumheunsinseo-ui Guseong-gwa Seosul Bangsik Yeongu). M.A. Thesis, Yonsei University.
Kim, Youngjun (김영준). trans. 2010. 어수신화 Eosusinhwa 禦睡新話. 서울: 보고사 Seoul: Bogosa.
Mumyeongjajip 무명자집 無名子集. 2000. 한국문집총간 Hanguk Munjip Chonggan. 서울: 민족문화추진회 Seoul: Minjok Munhwa Chujinhoe.
Murphy, Jefrie G. 2012. Punishment and the Moral Emotions. New York: Oxford University Press.
Pak, Seokmu (박석무) and Jeong Haeryum (정해렴), trans. 1999. 역주 흠흠신서 Yeokju Heumheumsinseo (Heumheumsinseo in Korean Translation with Annotation) 3 vols. 서울: 현대실학사 Seoul: Hyundae Shirhaksa.
Weizheng. Chinese Text Project Online Open Access Digital Library. https://ctext.org/confucianism?searchu=%E9%81%93%E4%B9%8B%E4%BB%A5%E6%94%BF (accessed December 6, 2020).
Yu, Xiangdou 余象斗. 1990. Lianming qipan gong’an (廉明奇判公案). Shanghai: Shanghai guji chubanshe (上海古籍出版社).
Yu, Xiangdou. 余象斗 1999. Lianminggong’an zhusigong’an (廉明公案諸司公案). Beijing: Qunzhong chubanshe (群衆出版社).
Yukjeonjorye 육전조례 六典條例. 1969. Ed. 법제처 Beopjecheo (Ministry of Government Legislation). 서울: 서울印刷株式會社 Seoul: Seoul Insoe Jusik Hoesa.
When submitting a paper the author agrees to the following publishing agreement and processing personal data.
PUBLICATION AGREEMENT, COPYRIGHT LICENSE, PERSONAL DATA PROCESSING CONSENT
This is a publication agreement and copyright license (“Agreement”) regarding a written manuscript currently submitted via Pressto Platform
(“Article”) to be published in International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences (“Journal”).
The parties to this Agreement are:
the Author or Authors of the submitted article (individually, or if more than one author, collectively, “Author”) and International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences (“Publisher”), address al. Niepodległości 4, 61-874 Poznań, represented by its editor in chief Oh Kyong-Geun.
- 1. LICENSE OF COPYRIGHT
- a) The Author and the Publisher agree that the Author grants a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which is incorporated herein by reference and is further specified at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed.en copyright license in the Article to the general public.
- b) The Author grants to the Publisher a royalty-free, worldwide nonexclusive license to publish, reproduce, display, distribute, translate and use the Article in any form, either separately or as part of a collective work, including but not limited to a nonexclusive license to publish the Article in an issue of the Journal, copy and distribute individual reprints of the Article, authorize reproduction of the entire Article in another publication, and authorize reproduction and distribution of the Article or an abstract thereof by means of computerized retrieval systems (such as Westlaw, Lexis and SSRN). The Author retains ownership of all rights under copyright in the Article, and all rights not expressly granted in this Agreement.
- c) The Author grants to the Publisher the power to assign, sublicense or otherwise transfer any and all licenses expressly granted to the Publisher under this Agreement.
- d) Republication. The Author agrees to require that the Publisher be given credit as the original publisher in any republication of the Article authorized by the Author. If the Publisher authorizes any other party to republish the Article under the terms of paragraphs 1c and 1 of this Agreement, the Publisher shall require such party to ensure that the Author is credited as the Author.
- 2. EDITING OF THE ARTICLE
- a) The Author agrees that the Publisher may edit the Article as suitable for publication in the Journal. To the extent that the Publisher’s edits amount to copyrightable works of authorship, the Publisher hereby assigns all right, title, and interest in such edits to the Author.
- 3. WARRANTIES
- a) The Author represents and warrants that to the best of the Author’s knowledge the Article does not defame any person, does not invade the privacy of any person, and does not in any other manner infringe upon the rights of any person. The Author agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Publisher against all such claims.
- b) The Author represents and warrants that the Author has full power and authority to enter into this Agreement and to grant the licenses granted in this Agreement.
- c) The Author represents and warrants that the Article furnished to the Publisher has not been published previously. For purposes of this paragraph, making a copy of the Article accessible over the Internet, including, but not limited to, posting the Article to a database accessible over the Internet, does not constitute prior publication so long as the as such copy indicates that the Article is not in final form, such as by designating such copy to be a “draft,” a “working paper,” or “work-in-progress”. The Author agrees to hold harmless the Publisher, its licensees and distributees, from any claim, action, or proceeding alleging facts that constitute a breach of any warranty enumerated in this paragraph.
- 4. TERM
- a) The agreement was concluded for an unspecified time.
- 5. PAYMENT
- a) The Author agrees and acknowledges that the Author will receive no payment from the Publisher for use of the Article or the licenses granted in this Agreement.
- b) The Publisher agrees and acknowledges that the Publisher will not receive any payment from the Author for publication by the Publisher.
- 6. ENTIRE AGREEMENT
- a) This Agreement supersedes any and all other agreements, either oral or in writing, between the Author and the Publisher with respect to the subject of this Agreement. This Agreement contains all of the warranties and agreements between the parties with respect to the Article, and each party acknowledges that no representations, inducements, promises, or agreements have been made by or on behalf of any party except those warranties and agreements embodied in this Agreement.
- b) In all cases not regulated by this Agreement, legal provisions of Polish Copyright Act and Polish Civil Code shall apply.
- c) Any disputes arising from the enforcement of obligations connected with this Agreement shall be resolved by a court competent for the headquarters of the Publisher.
- d) Any amendments or additions to the Agreement must be made in writing and signed by authorised representative of both parties, otherwise being ineffective.
- e) This Agreement is signed electronically and the submission of the article via the PRESSto platform is considered as the conclusion of the Agreement by the Author and the Publisher.
- f) Clause for consent to the processing of personal data - general
- g) The Author shall give his or her consent to the processing of their personal data in accordance with the Act of 10 May 2018 on the protection of personal data and Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of persons physical in connection with the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) for the purpose and in connection with making publications available on the PRESSto scientific journals platform, guaranteeing the security of services rendered, and improving them.
I HAVE READ AND AGREE FULLY WITH THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.
The Author The Publisher