Main Article Content
Abbreviation process in Korean applies to both lexical and grammatical units (cf. Borowiak 2015). This article however focuses only on one type of the former, namely acronyms. The formations in question are created in the lingual process, which could be called acronymization and are a convenient means of expression widely used in various fields of contemporary civilization such as science and technology, economy and public life, media, marketing etc. Despite their undeniable popularity the subject of acronymology is given relatively little attention in relevant literature, which concentrates mainly on morpheme-based word-formation and thus downplays acronyms as being e.g. unpredictable ‘non-rule governed innovations’ (cf. Bauer 2001). The 20th century however, as Szadyko (1997: 127) points out, belongs to acronyms – that is why the subject definitely deserves more attention. The aim of this article is to identify, analyze and classify acronyms used in Korean. Abbreviations of this particular type, as this paper will attempt to show, although rarely and rather briefly discussed, are in fact extremely numerous in Korean language. Taking into consideration their number and variety the attempt to classify them according to origin, fields of usage, lexical meaning and familiarity, the method of formation, graphemic form and the type of founding constituents is made.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
When submitting a paper the author agrees to the following publishing agreement and processing personal data.
PUBLICATION AGREEMENT, COPYRIGHT LICENSE, PERSONAL DATA PROCESSING CONSENT
This is a publication agreement and copyright license (“Agreement”) regarding a written manuscript currently submitted via Pressto Platform
(“Article”) to be published in International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences (“Journal”).
The parties to this Agreement are:
the Author or Authors of the submitted article (individually, or if more than one author, collectively, “Author”) and International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences (“Publisher”), address al. Niepodległości 4, 61-874 Poznań, represented by its editor in chief Oh Kyong-Geun.
- 1. LICENSE OF COPYRIGHT
- a) The Author and the Publisher agree that the Author grants a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which is incorporated herein by reference and is further specified at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed.en copyright license in the Article to the general public.
- b) The Author grants to the Publisher a royalty-free, worldwide nonexclusive license to publish, reproduce, display, distribute, translate and use the Article in any form, either separately or as part of a collective work, including but not limited to a nonexclusive license to publish the Article in an issue of the Journal, copy and distribute individual reprints of the Article, authorize reproduction of the entire Article in another publication, and authorize reproduction and distribution of the Article or an abstract thereof by means of computerized retrieval systems (such as Westlaw, Lexis and SSRN). The Author retains ownership of all rights under copyright in the Article, and all rights not expressly granted in this Agreement.
- c) The Author grants to the Publisher the power to assign, sublicense or otherwise transfer any and all licenses expressly granted to the Publisher under this Agreement.
- d) Republication. The Author agrees to require that the Publisher be given credit as the original publisher in any republication of the Article authorized by the Author. If the Publisher authorizes any other party to republish the Article under the terms of paragraphs 1c and 1 of this Agreement, the Publisher shall require such party to ensure that the Author is credited as the Author.
- 2. EDITING OF THE ARTICLE
- a) The Author agrees that the Publisher may edit the Article as suitable for publication in the Journal. To the extent that the Publisher’s edits amount to copyrightable works of authorship, the Publisher hereby assigns all right, title, and interest in such edits to the Author.
- 3. WARRANTIES
- a) The Author represents and warrants that to the best of the Author’s knowledge the Article does not defame any person, does not invade the privacy of any person, and does not in any other manner infringe upon the rights of any person. The Author agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Publisher against all such claims.
- b) The Author represents and warrants that the Author has full power and authority to enter into this Agreement and to grant the licenses granted in this Agreement.
- c) The Author represents and warrants that the Article furnished to the Publisher has not been published previously. For purposes of this paragraph, making a copy of the Article accessible over the Internet, including, but not limited to, posting the Article to a database accessible over the Internet, does not constitute prior publication so long as the as such copy indicates that the Article is not in final form, such as by designating such copy to be a “draft,” a “working paper,” or “work-in-progress”. The Author agrees to hold harmless the Publisher, its licensees and distributees, from any claim, action, or proceeding alleging facts that constitute a breach of any warranty enumerated in this paragraph.
- 4. TERM
- a) The agreement was concluded for an unspecified time.
- 5. PAYMENT
- a) The Author agrees and acknowledges that the Author will receive no payment from the Publisher for use of the Article or the licenses granted in this Agreement.
- b) The Publisher agrees and acknowledges that the Publisher will not receive any payment from the Author for publication by the Publisher.
- 6. ENTIRE AGREEMENT
- a) This Agreement supersedes any and all other agreements, either oral or in writing, between the Author and the Publisher with respect to the subject of this Agreement. This Agreement contains all of the warranties and agreements between the parties with respect to the Article, and each party acknowledges that no representations, inducements, promises, or agreements have been made by or on behalf of any party except those warranties and agreements embodied in this Agreement.
- b) In all cases not regulated by this Agreement, legal provisions of Polish Copyright Act and Polish Civil Code shall apply.
- c) Any disputes arising from the enforcement of obligations connected with this Agreement shall be resolved by a court competent for the headquarters of the Publisher.
- d) Any amendments or additions to the Agreement must be made in writing and signed by authorised representative of both parties, otherwise being ineffective.
- e) This Agreement is signed electronically and the submission of the article via the PRESSto platform is considered as the conclusion of the Agreement by the Author and the Publisher.
- f) Clause for consent to the processing of personal data - general
- g) The Author shall give his or her consent to the processing of their personal data in accordance with the Act of 10 May 2018 on the protection of personal data and Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of persons physical in connection with the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) for the purpose and in connection with making publications available on the PRESSto scientific journals platform, guaranteeing the security of services rendered, and improving them.
I HAVE READ AND AGREE FULLY WITH THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.
The Author The Publisher
- Algeo, John. 1973. Acronyms (review). American Speech: 48: 3/4: 269-274.
- Algeo, John. 1978. The Taxonomy of Word Making. Word: 29: 2: 122-131.
- Algeo, John. 1980. Where All the New Words Come from? American Speech: 55: 4: 264-277.
- Asher, R. E. & Simpson, R. E. 1994. The Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics. Pergamons Press. 80-82.
- Bauer, Laurie. 1983. English Word-formation. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Bauer, Laurie. 2001. Morphological Productivity. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Baum, S. V. 1962. The Acronym, Pure and Impure. American Speech 37: 1: 48-50.
- Borowiak, Anna. 2015. On Some Selected Problems of Korean Abbreviology, International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences, Institute of Linguistics, Faculty of Modern Languages and Literature, Poznań: 1: 137-154.
- Cambrigde Online Dictionary. http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/word-formation (accessed 15-08-2014).
- Collins Online Dictionary http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/acronymania(accessed 23-10-2015)
- Cannon, Garland. 2011. Abbreviations and Acronyms in English Word-Formation. American Speech 64: 2: 99-127.
- Cassidy, Frederic G. 1993. Fifty Years among the new words (review). Linguistic Society of America: 69: 2: 397-400.
- Choo, Miho and Kwak, Hye-Young. 2008. Using Korean, A Guide to Contemporary Usage. Cambridge: Cambrigde University Press.
- Czarnecka, Anna & Podracki Jerzy. 1995. Skróty i skrótowce -pisownia, wymowa, odmiana i składnia. Oświata.
- Dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/acronym?s=t(accessed 22-10-2015)
- Fandrych, Ingrid. 2008. Submorphematic elements in the formation of acronyms, blends and clippings. Lexical Submophemics: Lexis 2: 105-123. (online, accessed 10-10-2015).
- Glowka, Wayne & Lester Brenda K., Edge Constance. 1998. Among the New Words. American Speech: 73: 4: 421-441.
- Heller, Louis G. & Macris, James.1968. A Typology of Shortening Devices. American Speech: 43: 3: 201-208.
- Kreidler, Charles W. 1978, Creating New Words by Shortening. (Paper presented at the Interdisciplinary Conference on Linguistics, Louisville, Kentucky, April 8th1978.) (online accessed 20-10-2015).
- Lee, Ikseop & Ramsey, Samuel Robert. 2000. The Korean Language. New York: State University of New York Press.
- Lee, Jin-sung. 2012. A Study of English Neologisms with Some Comparing Notes on Korean Neologisms. 한국사회언어학회. 사회언어학: 20: 2: 367-400.
- Lee, Ki-Moon & Ramsey, Samuel Robert. 2011. A History of Korean Language. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/acronym(accessed 22-10-2015)
- Młodyński,Józef. 1974. Stan badań nad skrótowcami. Poradnik Językowy 8: 407-16.
- Młodyński, Józef. 1975. Klasyfikacja skrótów polskich. Poradnik Językowy 10: 546-53.
- Müldner-Nieckowski, Piotr. 2007. Wielki słownik skrótów i skrótowców. Wrocław: Wyd. EUROPA.
- Online Etymology Dictionary
- http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=acronym&allowed_in_frame=0(accessed 22-10-2015)
- http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/24/magazine/24ONLANGUAGE.html(access 23-10-2015)
- Oxford Dictionaries Online
- http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/acronymania(accessed 23-10-2015)
- Podracki, Jerzy. 1999. Słownik skrótów i skrótowców. Warszawa: Wyd. Naukowe PWN.
- Polański, Kazimierz (ed). 1999. Encyklopednia Językoznawstwa Ogólnego. Wrocław: Ossolineum.
- Safire Wiliam. 2002. Acronymania. The New York Times (February 24th).(online,accessed 10-09-2015).
- Song, Jea Jung. 2005. TheKorean Language, Structure, use and context. London and New York: Routledge Taylor & Francis Group.
- Stockwell, Robert & Minkova, Donka. 2001. English Words, History and Structure. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Szadyko, Stanisław. 1997. Akronimy. Zeszyty Naukowe SGH 3: 116
- 고영근. 1991. 國語形態論硏究. 서울: 서울大學校出版部.
- 김정은. 2000. 국어단어형성법연구. 서울: 박이정.
- 김창섭. 1996. 국어의단어형성과단어구조연구. 국어학총서21. 서울: 태학사.
- 나찬연. 2007. 국어문법의이해. 서울: 제이앤씨.
- 남기심, 고영근. 2006. 표준국어문법론. 서울: 탑출판사.
- 박경자, 임병빈, 김재원. 2001. 응용언어학사전. 서울: 경진문화사.
- 송철의. 2008. 한국어형태음운론적연구. 서울: 태학사.
- 시정곤. 1994. 국어의단어형성원리. 국학자료원. 언어학연구12.
- 양주동. 1988. 현대국어대사전. 서울: 일중당.
- 이승희. 1955. 國語學槪說.民衆書館.
- 이승희. 1982. 국어대사전. 서울: 민중서림.
- 이우주. 2005. 영한한영의학사전. 서울: 아카데미서적.
- 이재현. 2005. 현대국어의축소어형에관한연구 - 축소어형과준말의정의, 축수어형의조어법을중심으로 – 한민족문화연구. 17: 376-399.
- 이지양. 1993. 國語의融合現象과融合形式, 서울大學校大學院, 박사학위논문.
- 정희창. 2006. 준말의단어형성문제. 반교어문학회21: 108-18.
- 최경은. 2005. 핸드폰문자메시지(SMS) 언어의특성과전망. 독일언어문학27: 1-16.
- 최규일. 2009. 한국어어휘형성론. 제주: 제주대학교출판부.
- 최현배. 1961. 우리말본. 서울: 정음문화사.
- 한국어언론진흥재단. 1977. 外來語表記統一案. 신문과방송: 77 (online,accessed 12-10-2015)
- 홍순성. 1993. 준말의형태적유형. 韓國學論集第二十輯, 12: 149-159.
- 황명권, 정도헌. 2011. 두문자어지식베이스자동구축과활용방안. 한국정보기술학회논문지. 9: 6: 167-176.
- 허웅. 1983. 국어학-우리말의오늘· 어제-. 서울: 샘문화사.
- http://www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbbs.php?come_idx=2740&l=499490(accessed 8-10-2015)
- http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/10/09/2013100903297.html?Dep0=twitter&d=2013100903297(accessed 8-10-2015).