Main Article Content
Given the fact that we live in the era where the pace of life is constantly speeding up, it is no surprise that ‘the economy of language’ - meaning the efficient usage of language in order to achieve the maximum effect for the minimum effort has become so important in everyday life. Using abbreviated forms of different kinds is supposed to help us to economize continuously insufficient amount of time. Their overuse, however, can hamper effective communication and bring the adverse effect from what the speaker’s intention was – namely to communicate the message clearly and unambiguously and receive a response to it in a short time. Incomprehension or misunderstanding of the message leads, in fact, to unnecessarily prolonging the conversation since it requires asking additional questions in order to explain what is unclear to the listener. Reduced forms used mainly in spoken Korean can largely be divided into lexical and grammatical ones. Lexical shortenings of different kinds such as acronyms, blends, clippings etc. although rarely and rather briefly discussed by Korean linguists and basically excluded from the debate on word-formation issues definitely deserve much more attention taking into account their extensive usage. As for grammatical abbreviations, despite its frequent occurrence, the subject is not that often taken up and discussed either. The aim of this article is to present some characteristic properties of grammatical abbreviations used mainly in spoken Korean. The reduced forms in question will be divided into three categories namely - particles, endings and grammatical constructions and discussed separately. This article however focuses only on those abbreviated forms, which means leaving the subject of particle or word ellipsis beyond its scope.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
When submitting a paper the author agrees to the following publishing agreement and processing personal data.
PUBLICATION AGREEMENT, COPYRIGHT LICENSE, PERSONAL DATA PROCESSING CONSENT
This is a publication agreement and copyright license (“Agreement”) regarding a written manuscript currently submitted via Pressto Platform
(“Article”) to be published in International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences (“Journal”).
The parties to this Agreement are:
the Author or Authors of the submitted article (individually, or if more than one author, collectively, “Author”) and International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences (“Publisher”), address al. Niepodległości 4, 61-874 Poznań, represented by its editor in chief Oh Kyong-Geun.
- 1. LICENSE OF COPYRIGHT
- a) The Author and the Publisher agree that the Author grants a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which is incorporated herein by reference and is further specified at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed.en copyright license in the Article to the general public.
- b) The Author grants to the Publisher a royalty-free, worldwide nonexclusive license to publish, reproduce, display, distribute, translate and use the Article in any form, either separately or as part of a collective work, including but not limited to a nonexclusive license to publish the Article in an issue of the Journal, copy and distribute individual reprints of the Article, authorize reproduction of the entire Article in another publication, and authorize reproduction and distribution of the Article or an abstract thereof by means of computerized retrieval systems (such as Westlaw, Lexis and SSRN). The Author retains ownership of all rights under copyright in the Article, and all rights not expressly granted in this Agreement.
- c) The Author grants to the Publisher the power to assign, sublicense or otherwise transfer any and all licenses expressly granted to the Publisher under this Agreement.
- d) Republication. The Author agrees to require that the Publisher be given credit as the original publisher in any republication of the Article authorized by the Author. If the Publisher authorizes any other party to republish the Article under the terms of paragraphs 1c and 1 of this Agreement, the Publisher shall require such party to ensure that the Author is credited as the Author.
- 2. EDITING OF THE ARTICLE
- a) The Author agrees that the Publisher may edit the Article as suitable for publication in the Journal. To the extent that the Publisher’s edits amount to copyrightable works of authorship, the Publisher hereby assigns all right, title, and interest in such edits to the Author.
- 3. WARRANTIES
- a) The Author represents and warrants that to the best of the Author’s knowledge the Article does not defame any person, does not invade the privacy of any person, and does not in any other manner infringe upon the rights of any person. The Author agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Publisher against all such claims.
- b) The Author represents and warrants that the Author has full power and authority to enter into this Agreement and to grant the licenses granted in this Agreement.
- c) The Author represents and warrants that the Article furnished to the Publisher has not been published previously. For purposes of this paragraph, making a copy of the Article accessible over the Internet, including, but not limited to, posting the Article to a database accessible over the Internet, does not constitute prior publication so long as the as such copy indicates that the Article is not in final form, such as by designating such copy to be a “draft,” a “working paper,” or “work-in-progress”. The Author agrees to hold harmless the Publisher, its licensees and distributees, from any claim, action, or proceeding alleging facts that constitute a breach of any warranty enumerated in this paragraph.
- 4. TERM
- a) The agreement was concluded for an unspecified time.
- 5. PAYMENT
- a) The Author agrees and acknowledges that the Author will receive no payment from the Publisher for use of the Article or the licenses granted in this Agreement.
- b) The Publisher agrees and acknowledges that the Publisher will not receive any payment from the Author for publication by the Publisher.
- 6. ENTIRE AGREEMENT
- a) This Agreement supersedes any and all other agreements, either oral or in writing, between the Author and the Publisher with respect to the subject of this Agreement. This Agreement contains all of the warranties and agreements between the parties with respect to the Article, and each party acknowledges that no representations, inducements, promises, or agreements have been made by or on behalf of any party except those warranties and agreements embodied in this Agreement.
- b) In all cases not regulated by this Agreement, legal provisions of Polish Copyright Act and Polish Civil Code shall apply.
- c) Any disputes arising from the enforcement of obligations connected with this Agreement shall be resolved by a court competent for the headquarters of the Publisher.
- d) Any amendments or additions to the Agreement must be made in writing and signed by authorised representative of both parties, otherwise being ineffective.
- e) This Agreement is signed electronically and the submission of the article via the PRESSto platform is considered as the conclusion of the Agreement by the Author and the Publisher.
- f) Clause for consent to the processing of personal data - general
- g) The Author shall give his or her consent to the processing of their personal data in accordance with the Act of 10 May 2018 on the protection of personal data and Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of persons physical in connection with the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) for the purpose and in connection with making publications available on the PRESSto scientific journals platform, guaranteeing the security of services rendered, and improving them.
I HAVE READ AND AGREE FULLY WITH THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.
The Author The Publisher
- Bauer, Laurie. 1983. English Word-formation. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Bauer, Laurie. 2001. Morphological Productivity. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Buttler, Danuta 1987. Kilka uwag o konstrukcjach skrótowych w języku polskim. Poradnik Językowy 8 (447): 641-45.
- Cambrigde Online Dictionary. http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/britishgrammar/word-formation (accessed August 15, 2014).
- Cannon, Garland. 2011. Abbreviations and Acronyms in English Word-Formation. American Speech 64: 2: 99-127.
- Choo Miho and Kwak Hye-Young. 2008. Using Korean, A Guide to Contemporary Usage. Cambridge: Cambrigde University Press.
- Gajos, Mieczysław. 2000. Formy skrócone rzeczowników francuskich oznaczających osoby. Studia Romanica Posnaniensia 25/26:89-96.
- Gołąb, Zbigniew, Heinz Adam and Polański Kazimierz. 1968. Słownik Terminologii Językoznawczej. PWN.
- Hamans, Camiel. 2008. Why clipped words should be accepted as noun. Lingua Posnaniensis 50: 95-109.
- Kang, Eungyeong. 2013. An Optimality-theoretic analysis of lexical blends in Korean. 언어학 연구 28 (4): 653-72.
- Ko, Kil Soo. 2008. Korean Postpositions as Weak Syntactic Heads. In Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar, National Institute of Information and Communications Technology, ed. Stefan Müller,
- –51. Stanford, CA: CSLI Publications.
- Lee, Ikseop and Ramsey, Samuel Robert. 2000. The Korean Language. New York: State University of New York Press.
- Lee, Ki-Moon and Ramsey, Samuel Robert. 2011. A History of Korean Language. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Maciejewska-Wójcik, Anna and Smoleń-Wawrzusiszyn, Magdalena. 2013. O potrzebie leksykonu skróceń historycznych. Zamysł I dylematy badawcze. Prace Filologiczne LXICV (1): 201-10.
- Marchand, Hans. 1966. The Categories and Types of Present-day English Word-formation, A Synchronic-Diachronic Approach. Alabama Linguistic and Philological Series #13. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press.
- Martin, Elmo Samuel. 2002. A Reference Grammar of Korean. A Complete Guide to the Grammar and History of the Korean Language. Singapore: Tuttle Publishing.
- Matthews, Peter Hugoe. 1974. Morphology. An Introduction to the Theory of Word-structure. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Młodyński, Józef. 1974. Stan badań nad skrótowcami. Poradnik Językowy 8: 407-16.
- Młodyński, Józef. 1975. Klasyfikacja skrótów polskich. Poradnik Językowy 10: 546-53.
- Müldner-Nieckowski, Piotr. 2007. Wielki słownik skrótów i skrótowców. Wrocław: Wyd. EUROPA.
- Plag, Ingo. 2002. Word-formation in English. Cambridge Textbooks in Linguistics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (Draft version of 27th September 2002).
- Podracki, Jerzy. 1999. Słownik skrótów i skrótowców. Warszawa: Wyd. Naukowe PWN.
- Polański, Kazimierz (ed). 1999. Encyklopednia językoznawstwa ogólnego. Wrocław: Ossolineum.
- Puzynina, Janina. 1976. Skróty językowe – charakterystyczna struktura XX w. In Z problemów współczesnych języków i literatur słowiańskich. 82, 85. Warszawa: Wyd. Uniwersytetu Warszawskiego.
- Rhee, Seongha. 2006. Stratified Complex Postpositional System in Korean: A Contact Linguistics Perspective. 담화와 인지 13(2): 159-84.
- Sobczykowa, Joanna. 1983. Skróty językowe w opinii społecznej w świetle wypowiedzi na łamach Poradnika Językowego. Socjolingwistyka 5: 77 - 99.
- Sohn, Ho-Min. 1999. The Korean Language. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Song, Jea Jung. 2005. The Korean Language, Structure, use and context. London and New York: Routledge Taylor & Francis Group.
- Stockwell, Robert and Minkova, Donka. 2001. English Words, History and Structure. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Szadyko, Stanisław. 1997. Akronimy. Zeszyty Naukowe SGH 3: 116-30.
- 강연임. 2005. 한국어 담화와 생략. 서울: 이회문하사.
- 김원경. 2009. 한국어의 격. 서울: 박문사.
- 김정은. 2000. 국어 단어형성법 연구. 서울: 박이정.
- 김지형의 국어마당 School of Korean Kyung Hee Cyber University. http://kugmun.com/?document_srl=3661 &mid=bbs7&category=3488 (accessed February 11, 2015).
- 김창섭. 1996. 국어의 단어형성과 단어구조 연구. 국어학총서 21. 서울: 태학사.
- 나찬연. 2007. 국어문법의 이해. 서울: 제이앤씨.
- 남기심, 고영근. 2006. 표준국어문법론. 서울: 탑출판사.
- 려춘연. 1999. 준말의 발생과 발전. 중국조선어문 104: 34-7. 길림성민족사무위원회.
- 박홍길. 1986. 홀소리 줄임에 관한 연구 – 주말 추게와 관하여-. 새얼어문논집 2: 87-135.
- 송홍규. 2011. 준말에서의 어미 결함 제약에 대하여. 한어문교육 24: 554-579.
- 시정곤. 1994. 국어의 단어형성 원리. 국학자료원. 언어학연구 12.
- 이지양. 1993. 국어의 융합현상과 융합형식 (國語의 融合現象과 融合形式), 서울대학교 대학원, 박사학위논문.
- 임동훈. 2005. 한국어의 조사. 외국어로서의 한국어학. 서울: 한국방송통신대학교출판부.
- 임지룡, 이은교, 김총록, 송창선, 황미향. 2005. 학교문법과 문법교육. 서울: 도서출판 박이정.
- 정희창. 2006. 준말의 단어 형성문제. 반교어문학회 21: 108-18.
- 최규일. 2009. 한국어 어휘형성론. 제주: 제주대학교 출판부.
- 최현배. 1994. 우리말본. 서울: 정음문화사.