Main Article Content
Counsellors are important key members in Chinese universities. In this paper, on the one hand, we compared student affairs workers’ occupational characteristics, classification and development of western as well as Chinese university. On the other hand, Chinese university faculty members and students are our subjects. Of 800 pieces circulated, 537 pieces are found to be effective. We verified the reliability and validity of data, then conducted correlation analysis, exploratory factor analysis (EFA), and confirmatory factor analysis (CFA). The test has good reliability and validity. Cronbach’s alpha coefficient and the split-half reliability coefficient are all above 0.9, indicating that the actual value is in good accordance with the true value. The internal alpha coefficient and the split-half reliability coefficient of each factor are all above 0.8. Χ2/df<5. GFI, AGFI, NFI, CFI, IFI,RMSEA and the other indicators are fitting, and this test meets measurement requirements. A 5-factor model is formulated based on the research results, including: moral quality; professional competence; political awareness; instructive ability; interpersonal skills. This 5-factor model reflects the evaluation of faculty members and students in universities on qualities of counsellors and transformation in their expectation for the role counsellors play as time goes by. So we summarize the qualities of counsellors are constantly changing. These changes have been constantly evolving in time, and their traits are such as: Objectivity of the times, Initiative of inner, Predictability of practice. Being well aware of the trend of this career is conducive to the formation of a sound relationship between counsellors and students, measurability for morality-oriented education, and improvement in counsellors’ overall qualities.
- Blimling G. S. 2002. “Reflections on Career Development Among Student Affairs Leaders.” New Directions for Student Services 98:27-36.
- Eramo N. P. 2006. „Rethinking Student Affairs Practice.” Journal of Colleges Student Development 123-5.
- Gu Qian. 2004. Compilation and Preliminary Application of College Counsellors’ Competency Questionnaire. Shanxi: Shanxi University Editions.
- Huo Xiaodan. 2013. Quality Standards and Development of College Counsellors – Analysis Based on Competency Model. Beijing: Peking University Press.
- Kerr G. & Hart-Steffes J. S. 2012. „Sustainability, Student Affairs, and Students.” New Directions for Student Services 137:7-17.
- Kidder R. 2010. „Administrators Engaging in the Research Process.” ACPA Developments 8(1).
- Lan Haitao & Wei Xing. 2017. „The Quality and Ability Structure of College Counsellors and Their Training Methods.” China Higher Education 5:42-44.
- Leilani Kupo V. 2014. „Becoming a Scholar-Practitioner in Student Affairs.” New Directions for Student Services 147.
- Lin Sifeng. 2004. „Reflections on Strengthening Quality Training of Political Counsellor Team.” Journal of Jimei University (Philosophy and Social Sciences) 2.
- McClelland D. C. 1998. „Identifying Competencies with Behavioral-event Interviews.” Psychology Science 9(5):331-9.
- Moore E. L. & Marsh R. S. 2007. “College Teaching for Student Affairs Professionals.” New Directions for Student Services 117:3-11.
- Moore L. V. M. & Upcraft L. 1990. „Theory in Student Affairs: Evolving Perspectives.” New Directions for Student Services 51:3-23.
- Shao Guoping, Miao Delu, & Yang Lin. 2013. „The Structure and Measurement of Occupational Ability in College Counsellors.” Psychological Research 6(2):85-89.
- Spreitzer G. M., McCall M. W. Jr., & Mahoney J. D. 1997. „Early Identification of International Executive Potential.” Journal of Applied Psychology 82(1):6-29.
- Sun Jiayan. 2001. „Discussion on the Qualities That College Counsellors Should Have.” Journal of Social Science of Jiamusi University 4.
- Wang Lifen. 2001. „On the Quality of University Instructors.” Journal of Taiyuan University of Technology (Social Sciences Edition) 3:114-6.
- Yan Ping. 2006. „Comparison of The Work of College Instructors in China and The United States – A Brief Discussion on the Development Direction of China’s College Counsellor System.” Journal of Huna Mass Media Vocational Technical College 7:115-6.
- Yang Jiping & Gu Qian. 2014. „A Preliminary Study on the Competency of College Counsellors.” Journal of Shanxi University (Philosophy and Social Sciences) 12.
- Zhang Jingpeng. 2010. Research on Role Orientation and Professional Quality of College Counsellors. Shenyang: Shenyang Aerospace University.
- Zhang Shuming. 2010. College Counsellors’ Team Building. Jinan: Mountain Tai Press.
- Zhang Yanjun. 2007. „Comparing the Recruitment Conditions of College Counsellors between China and the United States.” Journal of Nantong University (Education and Science) 23(3):40-43.
- Zhu Ping. 2007. „Interpretation of College Instructor’ s Professionalization and Specialization.” Journal of Anhui Normal University (Humanities and Social Sciences) 35(2):218-223. 181
- Zou Tao, Ai Hong, & Chen Xiang. 2017. „A Study on The Difference Assessment of Instructor Competency Based on The Empirical Survey of Three Groups of College Students.” Journal of Southwest University of Nationalities (Humanities and Social Sciences) 1:222-227.