Main Article Content
This paper discusses verbal reahzation of one reąuest situation which has been used in the empirical part of my doctoral dissertation (Awedyk, 2001) which sets out to compare and contrast reąuest strategies in the reahzation of the speech act of reąuest in Norwegian and English. Due to the limitations of space, I will only be able to present a smali fraction of the findings resulting from the project I carried out. Notwithstanding the above, some of the problems discussed below can be perceived as representative of the generał pragmalinguistic phenomena present in the respective languages.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- Alvsaker, R.L.A., 1999, Cross-cultural Variation in Linguistic Politeness. A Comparison of How Norwegians and Native Speakers Make Requests in English, unpublished MA thesis, Department of English, University of Bergen.
- Awedyk, Witoslaw, 1993, Engelske Idnord i norske ungdommers tale, unpublished MA thesis, Department of Scandinavian Studies, Adam Mickiewicz University, unpublished.
- Awedyk, Witoslaw, 1996, “Engelske Idnord i norske ungdommers tale”, Folia Scandinavica Posnaniensia 3, 267-272.
- Awedyk, Witoslaw, 2001, Politeness Markers in Norwegian and English. Contrastive Analysis of Speech Habits Among Norwegian Students o f English, unpublished doctoral dissertation, Faculty of Modem Languages and Literature, Adam Mickiewicz University, unpublished.
- Blum-Kulka, S.,1987, “Indirectness and politeness in requests: same or different”, Journal of Pragmatics 1 1 ,131-146.
- Blum-Kulka, S. and Olshtain, E., 1984, “Requests and apologies. A Cross Cultural Study of the Speech Act Performance (CCSARP)”, Applied Linguistics 5, 3, 196-213.
- Blum-Kulka, S., Danet, B., and Gerson, R,, 1986, “The language of requesting in Israeli society”, in Forgas, J. (ed.), 113-141.
- Blum-Kulka, S. and House, J., 1989, “Cross-cultural and Situational Variation in Requesting Behavior”, in Blum-Kulka, S., House, J. and Kasper, G. (eds.), 123-154.
- Blum-Kulka, S., House, J. and Kasper, G, 1989, “Investigating Cross-Cultural Pragmatics: An Introductory View”, in Blum-Kulka, S., House, J. and Kasper, G, (eds.), 1-34.
- Blum-Kulka, S., House, J. and Kasper, G, (eds.), 1989, Cross-Cultural Pragmatics: Requests and Apologies, Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
- Brown, G. and Levinson, S., 1978, “Universals in language usage: Politeness phenomena”, in Goody, E.A. (ed.), 56-311.
- Brown, P. and Levinson, S., 1987, Politeness: Some universals in language usage, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Chafe, W., 1984, “Speaking and writing, and prescriptivism”, in Schiffrin, D. (ed.), 95-103.
- Coulmas, F. (ed.), 1981, Conversational Routine. Explorations in Standardized Communication Situations and Prepatterned Speed, The Hague: Mouton Publishers.
- Coulmas, F. (ed.), 1997, The Handbook of Sociolinguistics, Oxford: Blackwell Publishers.
- Eckert, P., 1997, “Age as a Sociolinguistic Variable”, in Coulmas, F. (ed.), 151-167.
- Faerch, C. and Kasper, G., 1989, “Internal and External Modification in Interlanguage Request Realization”, in Blum-Kulka, S., House, J. and Kasper, G(eds.), 221-247.
- Forgas, J. (ed.), 1986, Language and social situation, New York: Springer Verlag.
- Fraser, B., 1981, “On Apologizing”, in Coulmas, F. (ed.), 259-271.
- Goody, E.N. (ed.), 1978, Questions and politeness, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Hill, B., Ide, S., Ikuta S., Kawasaki, A. and Ogino, T., 1986, “Universals of linguistics politeness", Journal of Pragmatics 10,347-371.
- Horvath, B.M., 1985, Variation in Australian English: The soeiolects of Sydney, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- House, G., 1989, “Politeness in English and German: The Functions of Please and Bitte”, in Blum-Kulka, S., House, J. and Kasper, G. (eds.), 96-121.
- Labov, W., 1972, Sociolinguistic Patterns, Philadelphia: University of Pennsylavania Press.
- Longman Dictionary of English Language and Culture, 1992, Harlow: Longman.
- Merrit, M., 1976, “On questions following questions in service encounters.” Language in Society, 5(3), 315-357.
- Olshtain, E.,1989, “Apologies Across Languages”, in Blum-Kulka, S., House, J. and Kasper, G. (eds.), 155-173.
- Schiffrin, D., 1987, Discourse markers, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Schiffrin, D. (ed.), 1984, Meaning, form, and use in context: Linguistic application, New York: Academic Press.
- Svanes, B., 1989, “Utviklingen av realisasjonsm0nsteret for spr&khandlingen “a be noen gj0re noe”: 2”, Mai og minne 1/2, 89-107.
- Tannen, D., 1984, Conversational Style, Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
- Thomas, J.A., 1983, “Cross cultural pragmatic failure.", Applied Linguistics, 4(2), 91-112.
- Weizman, E., 1989, “Requestive Hints” , in Blum-Kulka, S., House, J. and Kasper, G. (eds.), 71-95.
- White, B.A., 1979, “A Study of the Use of Politeness. Stereotypes in modern Norwegian”, Norskskrift, 37-45.
- Wolfram, W., 1969, A Sociolinguistic Description of Detroit Negro Speech, Washington D.C.: Center for Applied Linguistics.