Main Article Content
The aim of the article is to describe the present situation regarding immigrants in Norway. Most of the data that I am using withrespect to this matter comes from Internet resources, as most of the statistics are available online only.The moment that can be regarded as crucial for immigrant history in Norwayis the late 60ties of the 20th century. Guest workers from Pakistan came to the country invited by the Norwegian government. In 1975 the so-called ‘innvandringsstop’ (immigration-stop) regulation was introduced to prevent flooding the country with incoming foreigners. The statistics show that no such significant migration was observed again until 2007–2008 when Polish workers began to come to Norway in large groups. Presently, the largest immigrant groups in Norway are Poles, Pakistani, Germans and Iraqi.There are four important reasons for migration: economic, family, political(refugees) and educational. Work and family are definitely the most commonones.The law concerning immigration was established in 1988 and it is called‘Utlendingsforskriften’. Moreover, the Norwegian immigration policy respectsall the laws and regulations in force in all the EU countries and that apply to the members of the United Nations organization. Nowadays, the Norwegian government is working on a new immigration law that is planned to be introduced in 2010.
- Statistisk sentralbyrå Norge 2008, http://www.sbb.no.
- Alnæas, Karsten. 2000. Historien om Norge. Oslo: Gyldendal Norsk Forlag ASA.
- Norsk Samfunnsvitenskapelig Datatjeneste (NSD) 2008, http://www.nsd.uib.no.
- Forskrift om utlendingers adgang til riket og deres opphold her (Utlendingsforskriften). Fastsatt ved Kronprinsregentens resolusjon 21. desember 1990 nr. 1017 med hjemmel i lov 24.
- juni 1988 nr. 64 om utlendingers adgang til riket og deres opphold her (utlendingsloven). Ikrafttreden 1. januar 1991. Ajourført med endringer som trådte i kraft 1. mai 2008.
- Utlendingsdirektoratets forside, http://www.udi.no/
- Utlendingsdirektoratet 2008. Tal og fakta 2007.
- Eriksen, Ine Marie. 2001. Mamma, det står en ufo i garasjen! I: Andersen, Kjartan (red.) Mangfold. Aurskog: Gyldendal Norsk Forlag AS.
- Raanes, Jan Erik. 2001.