This research focuses on the topic of Korean speech style shifts from polite to casual between men and women in romantic relationships. This study used data from the Korean reality TV show "We Got Married", which was broadcast in Korea for 9 years. After reviewing the system of Korean speech styles and manners of shifts, the study explores who is the first one to offer a shift, what they say, and how an offer is given. According to the analysis, older people were more likely to offer shifts first in the case of romantic relationships. In the TV show, older women tended to offer first a little more through indirect means, while older men offered rather directly. As for expressions used in the offers, the phrase ‘drop the honorifics’ and ‘talk comfortably’ were the most frequently used. They might offer in either polite or casual language, with sudden shifts. However, it was more common for speakers to offer shifts while talking in polite language. During conversations, two types of offers were observed: symmetrical shifts and asymmetrical shifts. In the first type, one speaker suggests shifts from both sides. The second type has more variations: one speaker requests the other’s permission to use casual language, allows the other to use casual language, or shows the speaker’s decision to use casual language. In the samples, symmetrical shifts occurred more often.
Active Korean 3. 2008. Language Education Institute of Seoul National University. Seoul: Moonjin Media.
Baštanová Kwak, Youngran. 2019. Korean Speech Style Shifts from Polite to Casual: Focused on New Couples. Poster presented at the 13th Annual Conference on Asian Studies, Palacký University Olomouc, Czech Republic, 22-23.11.2019.
Brown, Penelope and Levinson, Stephen C. 1987. Politeness: Some Universals in Language Usage. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Kiaer, Jieun, Mee-Jeong Park, Naya Choi, and Derek Driggs. 2019. The Roles of Age, Gender and Setting in Korean Half-Talk Shift. 담화와 인지 Damhwa-wa Inji (Discourse and Cognition) vol. 26, no. 3: 279-308.
Kim, Myeong-hee. 2016. A Study on Style Shift between Honorific and Plain Language in Korean. 사회언어학 Sahoe Eoneo-hak (The Sociolinguistic Journal of Korea) vol. 24, no. 3: 95-123.
Lee, Ik-seop (이익섭). 1974. 국어 경어법의 체계화 문제 Gugeo Gyeongeo-beob-ui Chegyehwa Munje. 국어학 Gugeo-hak (Journal of Korean Linguistics) vol. 2: 39-64.
Lee, Jeong-bok (이정복). 1996. 국어 경어법의 말 단계 변동 현상 Gugeo Gyeongeo-beob-ui Mal Dangye Byeondong Hyeonsang. 사회언어학 Sahoe Eoneo-hak (The Sociolinguistic Journal of Korea) vol. 4, no. 1: 51-81.
Lee, Jeong-bok (이정복). 2012. 한국어 경어법의 기능과 사용 원리 Hangugeo Gyeongeo-beob-ui Gineung-gwa Sayong Wolli. 서울: 소통 Seoul: Sotong.
Park, Ji-soon (박지순). 2016. 한국어 모어 화자의 상대높임법 인식 양상 – 20, 30대 화자를 중심으로 – Hangugeo moeo hwaja-ui sangdae nopim-beob insig yangsang – 20, 30 dae hwaja-reul jungsim-euro – (Study on the Recognition of Honorification among Korean Native Speakers – focused on Koreans in their 20s, 30s.). 한민족어문학 Hanminjok-eomun-hak vol. 73: 119-154.
Park, Young-soon (박영순). 1995. 상대높임법의 사회언어학 Sangdaenopimbeobui Sahoe-eoneohak. 어문논집 Eomun-nonjib (Journal of The Society of Korean Language and Literature) vol. 34: 549-70.
Park, Young-soon (박영순). 2007. 한국어 화용론 Hangugeo Hwayongron. 서울: 박이정 Seoul: Pagijong Press.
Sohn, Ho-min. 1999. The Korean Language. New York: Cambridge University Press.
Suh, Cheong-soo (서정수). 1984. 존대법의 연구: 현행 대우법의 체계와 문제점 Jondae-beob-ui Yeongu: Hyeonhaeng Daeu-beobui Chegye-wa Munjejeom. 서울: 한신문화사 Seoul: Hansinmunhwasa.
We Got Married. Directed by 전성호 Jeon Seong-ho. 2008-2017. Seoul: MBC.
Yoo, Song-young (유송영). 1994. 국어 청자 대우법에서의 힘 (power)과 유대 (solidarity) (1) – 불특정 청자 대우를 중심으로 – Gugeo cheongja daeu-beob-eso-ui him (power) gwa yudae (solidarity) (1) – bulteugjeong cheongja daeu-reul jungsim-euro – (Power and Solidarity in the Speech Levels of Korean Language (1) - Particularly About the Speech Levels to an Unspecified Hearer –). 국어학 Gugeo-hak (Journal of Korean Linguistics) vol. 24: 291-317.
Yoon, Sang-seok (윤상석). 2015. Korean Honorifics Beyond Politeness Markers: Change of Footing through Shifting of Speech Style. In Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Im/Politeness, ed. Marina Terkourafi, 97-120. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company.
When submitting a paper the author agrees to the following publishing agreement and processing personal data.
PUBLICATION AGREEMENT, COPYRIGHT LICENSE, PERSONAL DATA PROCESSING CONSENT
This is a publication agreement and copyright license (“Agreement”) regarding a written manuscript currently submitted via Pressto Platform
(“Article”) to be published in International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences (“Journal”).
The parties to this Agreement are:
the Author or Authors of the submitted article (individually, or if more than one author, collectively, “Author”) and International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences (“Publisher”), address al. Niepodległości 4, 61-874 Poznań, represented by its editor in chief Oh Kyong-Geun.
- 1. LICENSE OF COPYRIGHT
- a) The Author and the Publisher agree that the Author grants a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which is incorporated herein by reference and is further specified at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed.en copyright license in the Article to the general public.
- b) The Author grants to the Publisher a royalty-free, worldwide nonexclusive license to publish, reproduce, display, distribute, translate and use the Article in any form, either separately or as part of a collective work, including but not limited to a nonexclusive license to publish the Article in an issue of the Journal, copy and distribute individual reprints of the Article, authorize reproduction of the entire Article in another publication, and authorize reproduction and distribution of the Article or an abstract thereof by means of computerized retrieval systems (such as Westlaw, Lexis and SSRN). The Author retains ownership of all rights under copyright in the Article, and all rights not expressly granted in this Agreement.
- c) The Author grants to the Publisher the power to assign, sublicense or otherwise transfer any and all licenses expressly granted to the Publisher under this Agreement.
- d) Republication. The Author agrees to require that the Publisher be given credit as the original publisher in any republication of the Article authorized by the Author. If the Publisher authorizes any other party to republish the Article under the terms of paragraphs 1c and 1 of this Agreement, the Publisher shall require such party to ensure that the Author is credited as the Author.
- 2. EDITING OF THE ARTICLE
- a) The Author agrees that the Publisher may edit the Article as suitable for publication in the Journal. To the extent that the Publisher’s edits amount to copyrightable works of authorship, the Publisher hereby assigns all right, title, and interest in such edits to the Author.
- 3. WARRANTIES
- a) The Author represents and warrants that to the best of the Author’s knowledge the Article does not defame any person, does not invade the privacy of any person, and does not in any other manner infringe upon the rights of any person. The Author agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Publisher against all such claims.
- b) The Author represents and warrants that the Author has full power and authority to enter into this Agreement and to grant the licenses granted in this Agreement.
- c) The Author represents and warrants that the Article furnished to the Publisher has not been published previously. For purposes of this paragraph, making a copy of the Article accessible over the Internet, including, but not limited to, posting the Article to a database accessible over the Internet, does not constitute prior publication so long as the as such copy indicates that the Article is not in final form, such as by designating such copy to be a “draft,” a “working paper,” or “work-in-progress”. The Author agrees to hold harmless the Publisher, its licensees and distributees, from any claim, action, or proceeding alleging facts that constitute a breach of any warranty enumerated in this paragraph.
- 4. TERM
- a) The agreement was concluded for an unspecified time.
- 5. PAYMENT
- a) The Author agrees and acknowledges that the Author will receive no payment from the Publisher for use of the Article or the licenses granted in this Agreement.
- b) The Publisher agrees and acknowledges that the Publisher will not receive any payment from the Author for publication by the Publisher.
- 6. ENTIRE AGREEMENT
- a) This Agreement supersedes any and all other agreements, either oral or in writing, between the Author and the Publisher with respect to the subject of this Agreement. This Agreement contains all of the warranties and agreements between the parties with respect to the Article, and each party acknowledges that no representations, inducements, promises, or agreements have been made by or on behalf of any party except those warranties and agreements embodied in this Agreement.
- b) In all cases not regulated by this Agreement, legal provisions of Polish Copyright Act and Polish Civil Code shall apply.
- c) Any disputes arising from the enforcement of obligations connected with this Agreement shall be resolved by a court competent for the headquarters of the Publisher.
- d) Any amendments or additions to the Agreement must be made in writing and signed by authorised representative of both parties, otherwise being ineffective.
- e) This Agreement is signed electronically and the submission of the article via the PRESSto platform is considered as the conclusion of the Agreement by the Author and the Publisher.
- f) Clause for consent to the processing of personal data - general
- g) The Author shall give his or her consent to the processing of their personal data in accordance with the Act of 10 May 2018 on the protection of personal data and Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of persons physical in connection with the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) for the purpose and in connection with making publications available on the PRESSto scientific journals platform, guaranteeing the security of services rendered, and improving them.
I HAVE READ AND AGREE FULLY WITH THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.
The Author The Publisher