Main Article Content
This paper deals with the definition and characteristics of poetic drama, and attempts to clarify the significance of poetic drama works during the time when the poetic drama movement took place. Unlike drama-poetry or plays, poetic drama is an independent art genre. It presents artistic vision through the conflict of poetics and dramas. The unity of poetic and dramatic things, which is facilitated through music, internal necessity, stage image, sound effect, and visual auditory indication, poetic drama is a part of complex art. The entire work functions as a poem and must be realized on the stage. For Choi Il-soo, in order to develop the characteristics of these poetry plays, the innatrhythm of the free verse should be embodied within these plays. He accepted Eliot’s theory and tried to establish the position that Western poetic drama works and theories are unique to Korea. This deepening perception of theory led to a poetic drama movement with the creators. In this paper, we classify its characteristics by focusing on approximately 18 poetic drama works. From 1920 to 1999, 18 representative works were classified, focusing on the completeness of the works and the remarkable artists. The characteristics of works can largely be divided into historical, narrative, reality, and philosophy. The meaning of this classification can serve as an opportunity for poetic dramas to advance into more diverse topics or forms. The poetic drama movement was dominated by critics and poets with the aim of pursuing independent Korean art works, and although it failed in performance and popularization, it was an achievement of the times to give a glimpse into the possibility of poetic drama. Poetic drama can act as a new element in the genre of poetry and drama that are losing original literary character, and there is a need to revive in Korean literature.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
When submitting a paper the author agrees to the following publishing agreement and processing personal data.
PUBLICATION AGREEMENT, COPYRIGHT LICENSE, PERSONAL DATA PROCESSING CONSENT
This is a publication agreement and copyright license (“Agreement”) regarding a written manuscript currently submitted via Pressto Platform
(“Article”) to be published in International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences (“Journal”).
The parties to this Agreement are:
the Author or Authors of the submitted article (individually, or if more than one author, collectively, “Author”) and International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences (“Publisher”), address al. Niepodległości 4, 61-874 Poznań, represented by its editor in chief Oh Kyong-Geun.
- 1. LICENSE OF COPYRIGHT
- a) The Author and the Publisher agree that the Author grants a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which is incorporated herein by reference and is further specified at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed.en copyright license in the Article to the general public.
- b) The Author grants to the Publisher a royalty-free, worldwide nonexclusive license to publish, reproduce, display, distribute, translate and use the Article in any form, either separately or as part of a collective work, including but not limited to a nonexclusive license to publish the Article in an issue of the Journal, copy and distribute individual reprints of the Article, authorize reproduction of the entire Article in another publication, and authorize reproduction and distribution of the Article or an abstract thereof by means of computerized retrieval systems (such as Westlaw, Lexis and SSRN). The Author retains ownership of all rights under copyright in the Article, and all rights not expressly granted in this Agreement.
- c) The Author grants to the Publisher the power to assign, sublicense or otherwise transfer any and all licenses expressly granted to the Publisher under this Agreement.
- d) Republication. The Author agrees to require that the Publisher be given credit as the original publisher in any republication of the Article authorized by the Author. If the Publisher authorizes any other party to republish the Article under the terms of paragraphs 1c and 1 of this Agreement, the Publisher shall require such party to ensure that the Author is credited as the Author.
- 2. EDITING OF THE ARTICLE
- a) The Author agrees that the Publisher may edit the Article as suitable for publication in the Journal. To the extent that the Publisher’s edits amount to copyrightable works of authorship, the Publisher hereby assigns all right, title, and interest in such edits to the Author.
- 3. WARRANTIES
- a) The Author represents and warrants that to the best of the Author’s knowledge the Article does not defame any person, does not invade the privacy of any person, and does not in any other manner infringe upon the rights of any person. The Author agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Publisher against all such claims.
- b) The Author represents and warrants that the Author has full power and authority to enter into this Agreement and to grant the licenses granted in this Agreement.
- c) The Author represents and warrants that the Article furnished to the Publisher has not been published previously. For purposes of this paragraph, making a copy of the Article accessible over the Internet, including, but not limited to, posting the Article to a database accessible over the Internet, does not constitute prior publication so long as the as such copy indicates that the Article is not in final form, such as by designating such copy to be a “draft,” a “working paper,” or “work-in-progress”. The Author agrees to hold harmless the Publisher, its licensees and distributees, from any claim, action, or proceeding alleging facts that constitute a breach of any warranty enumerated in this paragraph.
- 4. TERM
- a) The agreement was concluded for an unspecified time.
- 5. PAYMENT
- a) The Author agrees and acknowledges that the Author will receive no payment from the Publisher for use of the Article or the licenses granted in this Agreement.
- b) The Publisher agrees and acknowledges that the Publisher will not receive any payment from the Author for publication by the Publisher.
- 6. ENTIRE AGREEMENT
- a) This Agreement supersedes any and all other agreements, either oral or in writing, between the Author and the Publisher with respect to the subject of this Agreement. This Agreement contains all of the warranties and agreements between the parties with respect to the Article, and each party acknowledges that no representations, inducements, promises, or agreements have been made by or on behalf of any party except those warranties and agreements embodied in this Agreement.
- b) In all cases not regulated by this Agreement, legal provisions of Polish Copyright Act and Polish Civil Code shall apply.
- c) Any disputes arising from the enforcement of obligations connected with this Agreement shall be resolved by a court competent for the headquarters of the Publisher.
- d) Any amendments or additions to the Agreement must be made in writing and signed by authorised representative of both parties, otherwise being ineffective.
- e) This Agreement is signed electronically and the submission of the article via the PRESSto platform is considered as the conclusion of the Agreement by the Author and the Publisher.
- f) Clause for consent to the processing of personal data - general
- g) The Author shall give his or her consent to the processing of their personal data in accordance with the Act of 10 May 2018 on the protection of personal data and Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of persons physical in connection with the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) for the purpose and in connection with making publications available on the PRESSto scientific journals platform, guaranteeing the security of services rendered, and improving them.
I HAVE READ AND AGREE FULLY WITH THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.
The Author The Publisher
- Choi, Il-soo (최일수). 1976. 현실의 문학 (Hyeonsil-ui munhak; Literature of Reality). 서울: 형설출판사 (Seoul: Hyeongseol Chulpansa).
- Choi, In-hoon (최인훈). 1976. 옛날옛적에 훠어이 훠이 (Yetnal yejeog-e huoyi huoyi; Once upon a time Huoyi-Huoyi). 서울: 문학과지성사 (Seoul: Munhakgwaji seongsa).
- Hwang, Ji-woo (황지우) . 2000. 오월의 신부 (Oweol-ui Sinbu; Bride of May). 서울: 문학과지성사 (Seoul: Munhag gwaji seongsa).
- Jeon, Bong-gun (전봉건). 2013. 전봉건 문학선 (Jeon Bong-gun Munhakseon; Collection of Jeon Bong-gun’s Literature Works). 서울: 문학선 (Seoul: Munhakseon).
- Jung, Ho-soon (정호순). 2002. 한국의 소극장과 연극운동 (Hangug-ui sogeugjang-gwa yeongeug undong; Korean Small Theater and Play Movement). 서울: 연극과 인간 (Seoul: Yeongeug-gwa Ingan).
- Kim, Dong-hyun (김동현). 2013. 한국현대시극의 세계 (Hangug hyeondae sigeug-ui segye; The World of Modern Korean Poetic Drama). 서울: 국학자료원 (Seoul: Kookhak Jaryoweon).
- Kim, Dong-hyun (김동현). 2019. 시극의 장르시학 (시학) 및 신동엽 최인훈을 통해 본 한국 시극의 가능성 (Sigeug-ui jangneu sihag (sihag) mit Shin Dong-hyeop Choi In Hoon-eul tonghae bon Hangug sigeug-ui ganeungseong; The possibility of Korean poetic drama seen through poetics and Shin Dong-hyeop, Choi In-hoon). 시와희곡 (Si-wa huigeug; Poetry and Play), no. 1: 341-354.
- Kim, Jae-hwa (김재화). 2010. T.S.엘리엇 시극론 (T.S. Elliot sigeug-non; T.S. Eliot Poetic Drama Theory). 서울: 동인 (Seoul: Dongin Publishing).
- Kim, Jung-hwan (김정환). 1999. 김정환 시집. (Kim Jung-hwan sijib; Kim Jung-hwan poetry book). 서울: 이론과실천 (Seoul: Iron-gwa Silcheon).
- Kim, Myeong-soon (김명순). 2010. 김명순 문학전집 (Kim Myeong-soon Munhag Jeonjib; Kim Myeong-soon’s Literature Exhibition). 서울: 푸른사상(Seoul: Pureun sasang).
- Lee, Hyun-won (이현원). 2009. 신동엽의 오페레타 <석가탑>에 나타난 시의 주제와 표현양식에 대한 연구 (Sin Dong-Yeop-ui operetta ‘Seokgatap’-e natanan si-ui juje-wa pyohyeon yangsig-e daehan yeongu; A Study on the Theme and Form of the Poem in Dong-Yeop Sin’s Operetta “Seoggatap”). 한국학논집 (Hangughag nonjib; The Journal of Korean Studies), no. 38: 227-267.
- Lee, Sang-ho (이상호). 2013. 현대시를 위한 실험무대 연구 (Hyeondae si-reul wihan silheom mudae yeongu; Study on ‘Experimental Stage for Modern Poetry’). 한국언어문화 (Hangug eoneo munhwa; Journal of Korean Language and Culture), no. 51: 131-157.
- Lee, Sang-ho (이상호). 2016. 한국시극사연구 (Hangug sigeug-sa yeongu; Study on the History of Modern and Contemporary Korean Poetic Drama). 서울: 국학자료원 (Seoul: Kookhak Jaryoweon).
- Lee, Hyeon-jeong (이현정). 2020. 한국 시극 작품에 나타난 공간성 연구 (Hangug sigeug jagpum-e natanan gongganseong yeongu; A Study on the specialty show in Korean poetic drama works). 중앙대학교 대학원 박사 학위 논문 (Chungang Daehaggyo daehagweon paksa hagwi nonmun; Ph.D. dissertation at Chung-Ang University).
- Lee, Hyeon-won (이현원). 2000. 한국 현대시극 연구 (Hangug hyeondae sigeug yeongu; (A) Study on the Modern Poetical Drama in Korean). 계명대학교 대학원 석사 학위논문 (Keimyung Daehakkyo Daehagweon seoksa hagwi nonmun; M.A. thesis at Keimyung University).
- Lee, Seung-ha (이승하). 2014. 한국 시문학의 빈터를 찾아서 2 (Hangug simunhag-ui binteo-reul chajaseo 2; Finding a Empty Place in Korean Poetry 2). 서울: 서정시학. (Seoul: Seojeong Sihag).
- Lim, Seung-bin (임승빈). 2002. 1920년대 시극연구 (1920-nyeondae sigeug yeongu; Study on Korean Poetic Drama in the 1920’s). 한국극예술연구 (Hangug geugyesul yeongu; The journal of Korean drama and theatre), no. 16: 145-174.
- Moon, Jeong-hee (문정희). 1994. 구운몽 (Googumong). 서울, 도서출판 둥지 (Seoul: Doseochulban Dongji).
- Park, Ah-ji (박아지). 2015. 박아지 작품선집 (Park Ah-ji jagpum seonjib; Park Ah-ji’s work selection). 서울: 글로벌 콘텐츠 (Seoul: Geullobeol Kontencheu).
- Park, Jung-ho (박정호). 1997. 극시 형성 및 장형화에 대한 일고찰 (Geugsi hyeonseong mit janghyeonghwa-e daehan ilgochal; Study on the Formation of Poetic Drama and Lengthenization). 한국어문학연구 (Hangug eomunhag yeongu; Korean Literature Research), no. 8: 271-300.
- Shin, Dong-yeop (신동엽). 1975. 신동엽전집 (Sin Dong-yeop jeonjib; Shin Dong-yeop’s collection) 서울: 창작과비평사 (Seoul: Changjaggwa bipyeonsa).