Main Article Content
Regarding the recent critical evaluations surrounding the Korean literature field in the 1990s, this paper argues that the criticism should be presented at a more ‘intrinsic’ and ‘reflective’ level. In particular, through 문학동네 Munhakdongne (the Literature Village) as a negative origin of today, I would like to examine the rationality of ‘literaturism’ (the art for art’s sake principle) in the 90s, which is difficult to criticize easily. This ‘rationality’ is not only one that is repeated and persuasive in today’s literature, but also one that shares much from the perspective of critically judging Munhakdongne. By critically examining the nature of this ‘rationality’ in the 1990s, this paper aims to define today’s Korean literature field and to prepare for the possibility of moving beyond it.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
When submitting a paper the author agrees to the following publishing agreement and processing personal data.
PUBLICATION AGREEMENT, COPYRIGHT LICENSE, PERSONAL DATA PROCESSING CONSENT
This is a publication agreement and copyright license (“Agreement”) regarding a written manuscript currently submitted via Pressto Platform
(“Article”) to be published in International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences (“Journal”).
The parties to this Agreement are:
the Author or Authors of the submitted article (individually, or if more than one author, collectively, “Author”) and International Journal of Korean Humanities and Social Sciences (“Publisher”), address al. Niepodległości 4, 61-874 Poznań, represented by its editor in chief Oh Kyong-Geun.
- 1. LICENSE OF COPYRIGHT
- a) The Author and the Publisher agree that the Author grants a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which is incorporated herein by reference and is further specified at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/deed.en copyright license in the Article to the general public.
- b) The Author grants to the Publisher a royalty-free, worldwide nonexclusive license to publish, reproduce, display, distribute, translate and use the Article in any form, either separately or as part of a collective work, including but not limited to a nonexclusive license to publish the Article in an issue of the Journal, copy and distribute individual reprints of the Article, authorize reproduction of the entire Article in another publication, and authorize reproduction and distribution of the Article or an abstract thereof by means of computerized retrieval systems (such as Westlaw, Lexis and SSRN). The Author retains ownership of all rights under copyright in the Article, and all rights not expressly granted in this Agreement.
- c) The Author grants to the Publisher the power to assign, sublicense or otherwise transfer any and all licenses expressly granted to the Publisher under this Agreement.
- d) Republication. The Author agrees to require that the Publisher be given credit as the original publisher in any republication of the Article authorized by the Author. If the Publisher authorizes any other party to republish the Article under the terms of paragraphs 1c and 1 of this Agreement, the Publisher shall require such party to ensure that the Author is credited as the Author.
- 2. EDITING OF THE ARTICLE
- a) The Author agrees that the Publisher may edit the Article as suitable for publication in the Journal. To the extent that the Publisher’s edits amount to copyrightable works of authorship, the Publisher hereby assigns all right, title, and interest in such edits to the Author.
- 3. WARRANTIES
- a) The Author represents and warrants that to the best of the Author’s knowledge the Article does not defame any person, does not invade the privacy of any person, and does not in any other manner infringe upon the rights of any person. The Author agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Publisher against all such claims.
- b) The Author represents and warrants that the Author has full power and authority to enter into this Agreement and to grant the licenses granted in this Agreement.
- c) The Author represents and warrants that the Article furnished to the Publisher has not been published previously. For purposes of this paragraph, making a copy of the Article accessible over the Internet, including, but not limited to, posting the Article to a database accessible over the Internet, does not constitute prior publication so long as the as such copy indicates that the Article is not in final form, such as by designating such copy to be a “draft,” a “working paper,” or “work-in-progress”. The Author agrees to hold harmless the Publisher, its licensees and distributees, from any claim, action, or proceeding alleging facts that constitute a breach of any warranty enumerated in this paragraph.
- 4. TERM
- a) The agreement was concluded for an unspecified time.
- 5. PAYMENT
- a) The Author agrees and acknowledges that the Author will receive no payment from the Publisher for use of the Article or the licenses granted in this Agreement.
- b) The Publisher agrees and acknowledges that the Publisher will not receive any payment from the Author for publication by the Publisher.
- 6. ENTIRE AGREEMENT
- a) This Agreement supersedes any and all other agreements, either oral or in writing, between the Author and the Publisher with respect to the subject of this Agreement. This Agreement contains all of the warranties and agreements between the parties with respect to the Article, and each party acknowledges that no representations, inducements, promises, or agreements have been made by or on behalf of any party except those warranties and agreements embodied in this Agreement.
- b) In all cases not regulated by this Agreement, legal provisions of Polish Copyright Act and Polish Civil Code shall apply.
- c) Any disputes arising from the enforcement of obligations connected with this Agreement shall be resolved by a court competent for the headquarters of the Publisher.
- d) Any amendments or additions to the Agreement must be made in writing and signed by authorised representative of both parties, otherwise being ineffective.
- e) This Agreement is signed electronically and the submission of the article via the PRESSto platform is considered as the conclusion of the Agreement by the Author and the Publisher.
- f) Clause for consent to the processing of personal data - general
- g) The Author shall give his or her consent to the processing of their personal data in accordance with the Act of 10 May 2018 on the protection of personal data and Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of persons physical in connection with the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) for the purpose and in connection with making publications available on the PRESSto scientific journals platform, guaranteeing the security of services rendered, and improving them.
I HAVE READ AND AGREE FULLY WITH THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.
The Author The Publisher
- Adorno, Theodor W. 1984. Aesthetic Theory. trans. by Seung-yong Hong. Seoul: Moonji Publisher.
- Bae, Haeun (배하은). 2016. 만들어진 내면성: 1990년대 초 문학의 내면성 구성과 전복양상 (Mandeureojin naemyeonseong 1990-nyeondae cho munhag-ui naemyeonseong guseong-gwa jeonbok yangsang; On Internality, a Discursive Construct in Early 1990s’ Literature). 한국현대문학연구 (Hangug Hyeondae Munhag Yeongu; The Journal of Modern Korean Literature), no. 50: 547-585.
- Hwang, Jeonga (황정아). 2020. 근대성의 판타지아 (Geundaeseong-ui pantajia; A Fantasia of Modernity). 개념과소통 (Gaenyeom-gwa sotong; Concept and Communication), no. 25: 117-145.
- Hwang, Jongyeon (황종연). 2001. 비루한 것의 카니발 (Biruhan geot-ui kanibal; Carnival of the Boredom). 서울: 문학동네 (Seoul: Munhakdongne Publisher).
- Hwang, Jongyeon (황종연). 2012. 탕아를 위한 비평 (Tanga-reul wihan bipyeong; Criticism for debauchee). 서울: 문학동네 (Seoul: Munhakdongne Publisher).
- Jin, Jeongseok (진정석). Lee, Gwangho. (이광호), Kim, Dongsik. (김동식), Hwang, Jongyeon. (황종연). 1993. 좌담: 90년대 문학을 어떻게 볼 것인가 (Jwadam: 90-nyeondae munhag-eul eottokkae bol geosinga; How will we see literature in the 90s?) In 90년대 문학 어떻게 볼 것인가 (90-nyeondae munhag-eul eottokkae bol geosinga; How will we see literature in the 90s), ed. Hwang Jongyeon (황종연), 11-80. 서울: 민음사 (Seoul: Mineumsa Publisher).
- Jin, Taewon (진태원). 2019. 애도의 애도를 위하여 (Aedo-ui aedo-reul wihayeo; For the mourning of mourning). Seoul: Greenbee Publisher.
- Cho, Yeonjeong (조연정). 2018a. 문학주의의 자기동일성: 1990년대 문학동네의 비평담론 (Munhagjuui-ui jagi donggilseong: 1990-nyeondae Munhag dongnae-ui bipyeong damron; Self-Identity of ‘Literaturism’ – Discourse of Criticism Produced by the Literary Community in the 1990’s.) 상허학보 (Sanghur Hakbo; The Journal of Korean Modern Literature), no. 53: 9-46.
- Cho, Yeonjeong (조연정). 2018b. 문학동네의 90년대와 386세대의 한국문학 (Munhakdongne-ui 90-nyeondae-wa 386 sedae-iu hangug munhag; The ‘90s’ in the Literary Community and ‘386 Generation’s Korean Literature). 한국문화 (Hangug Munhwa; The journal of Korean Culture), no. 81: 221-246.
- Kang, Dongho (강동호). 2020. 언표로서 내면 (Eonpyoroseo naemyeon; Interiority as Énoncé) 한국학연구 (Hangug-hag yeongu; The Journal of Korean Studies), no. 56: 249-273.
- Lee, Soyeon (이소연). 2017. 진정성이라는 환상 (Jinjeongseong-ira-neun hwangsang; The illusion of sincerity). 문학과사회 (Munhag-gwa sahoe; The Literature and Society), vol. 30, no. 1: 183-194.
- Seo, Yeongchae (서영채). 1995. 소설의 운명 (Soseol-ui unmyeong; The Fate of a Novel). 서울: 문학동네 (Seoul: Munhakdongne Publisher).
- Seo, Yeongchae (서영채). 2005. 문학의 윤리 (Munhag-ui yulli; Ethics of literature). 서울: 문학동네 (Seoul: Munhakdongne Publisher).
- Taylor, Charles. 2001. The Malaise of Modernity. trans. by Young-bae Song. Seoul: EHAK Publisher.