Main Article Content
A total of 843 college students in Guangdong University of Foreign Studies were investigated using a social support evaluation scale, a resilience scale, and a life satisfaction evaluation scale. Results were analyzed using IBM® SPSS 21.0® and Amos 17.0. It was shown that there existed a positive correlation respectively among resilience, social support and life satisfaction. Social support predicted resilience positively and resilience partially mediated the association between social support and life satisfaction. Finally, resilience moderated the association between social support and life satisfaction; the higher the resilience level, the more significant the positive predictive effect of social support on life satisfaction. College students' life satisfaction is closely related to social support and resilience; resilience partially plays a mediating and moderating role between social support and life satisfaction.
Download data is not yet available.
How to Cite
Guo, Y. (2018). Relationship between Social Support and Life Satisfaction of College Students: Resilience As a Mediator and Moderator. ETHICS IN PROGRESS, 8(2), 28-43. https://doi.org/10.14746/eip.2017.2.3
Core topics-related articles
- Chen K. & Zhang Y. Y. 2013. "Study of Mediating Effect of Loneliness on Social Support and Subjective Well-Being of College Students.“ Journal of Chongqing University (Social Science Edition) 19 (4):172-181.
- Cui L. Q. & Yao B. X. 2012. "Relations Between Social Support and Life Satisfaction of New Generation Peasant-Workers.“ Journal of Hunan Agricultural University (Social Sciences) 8 (2):41-44.
- Feng Zh. Y. & Wan P. Y. 2016. "The Relationship Between Social Support, Resilience. Cyber-Bullying and Life Satisfaction Among College students." Chinese Journal of Health Education 32 (1):8-11.
- Hu Y. Q. & Gan Y. Q. 2008. "Development and Psychometric Validity of the Resilience Scale for Chinese Adolescents.“ Acta Psychologica Sinica 40 (8):902-12.
- He H & Wang Sh. 2016. "Social Support and Life Satisfaction of Young Migrants." Population Research 40 (3):45-57.
- Xie J. Sh. & Li. J. 2014. “Life Events and Life Satisfaction: Mediating Effect of Resilience in Junior High School Students.” Chinese Journal of Clinical Psychology 22(4):676-679.
- Li Q. 1998. "Social Support and Individual Mental Health.“ Tianjin Social Sciences 7 (1):67-70.
- Li Y. X. & Luo P. CH. 2009. ”The Impact of Social Support on Resilience of College Students.” Journal of Henan University (Social Science) 49(6):127-131.
- Liang S. C., Wu H. M., Yang Y. J., & Yang D. 2016. “Mediating Effect of Mindfulness and Resilience on Relationship Between Neuroticism and Life Satisfaction in College Students." Chinese Mental Health Journal 30 (12):946-951.
- John J. S., Eugene B. Z., & Jeanne S. Z. 2010. ”Research Methods in Psychology.“ Posts & Telecom Press.
- Zhang Y & Xing Zh. J. 2007. "A General Overview of the Relationship Between Social Support and Subjective-Wellbeing." Psychological Science 30 (6):1436-8.
- Li Zh. Y. 2010. "Relationship Between Social Support and Subjective Well-Being: Mediator Role of Self-Consistency and Congruence." Chinese Journal of Clinical Psychology 18(3):346-348.
- Li Zh. H. & Yin X.Y. 2015.”How Social Support Influences Hope in College Students: The Mediating Roles of Self-Esteem and Self-Efficacy." Psychological Development and Education 31 (5):610-617.
- Skoe E. A. 2010. "The Relationship Between Empathy Related Constructs and Care-based Moral Development in Young Adulthood." Journal of Moral Education 39(2):191-211.
- Malti T., Eisenberg N., Kim H., & Buchmann M. 2013. "Developmental Trajectories of Sympathy, Moral Emotion Attributions, and Moral Reasoning: The Role of Parental Support." Social Development 22(4):773-793.
- Ma J. & Wang Y. Zh. 2013. "The Mediating Effect of University Students' Social Support between Emotional Intelligence and Life Satisfaction.“ China Journal of Health Psychology 21(1):137-8.
- Ou Y. L. 2017. "Research on the Relationship Between Resilience and Life Satisfaction Among College Students." China School Health 38(4):554-561.Self-e
- Pietrzak R. H., Johnson D. C., & Goldstein M. 2010. "Psychosocial Buffers of Traumatic Stress, Depressive Symptoms, and Psychosocial Difficulties in Veterans of Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom: The Role of Resilience, Unit Support, and Post Deployment Social Support." Journal of Affective Disorders 120:188-192.
- Pavot W. G., Diener E., Colvin C. R., & Sandvik E. 1991. "Further Validation of the Satisfaction with Life Scale: Evidence for the Cross-Method Convergence of Well-Being Measures." Journal of Personality Assessment 57:149-161.
- Ratelle C. F., Simard K., & Guay F. 2013. "University Students' Subjective Well-being: The Role of Autonomy Support from Parents, Friends, and the Romantic Partner." Journal of Happiness Studies 7 (14) 3:893-910.
- Sun Sh. X., Guan Y. H., Qin Y. Y., Zhang L., & Fan F. 2013. "Social Support and Emotional-Behavioral Problems: Resilience as a Mediator and Moderator." Chinese Journal of Clinical Psychology 2:114-118.
- Tsui A. S., Ashford S. J., Clair L., & Xin K. R. 1995. "Dealing with Discrepant Expectations: Response Strategies and Managerial Effectiveness." Academy of Management Journal 38 (6):1515-43.
- Song G. W., Luo F., & Zhou F. F. 2014. "On the Relationship Between the Social Support of Students with Outstanding Academic Performance and Students with Learning Difficulties Their Resilience and Mental Health." Chinese Journal of Special Education 165 (3):48-53.
- Wang Y. & Wang Zh. H. 2013. "Resilience of College Students and the Relations of Resilience to Positive Emotion and to Subjective Well-Being." Psychological Development and Education 1:94-100.
- Wang Y. & Wang Zh. H. 2014. "Cognitive Reappraisal and Satisfaction with Life: Multiple Mediating of Affect and Resilience." Chinese Journal of Clinical Psychology 22 (2):306-314.
- Wu Y. & Wen Zh. L. 2011. "Item Parceling Strategies in Structural Equation Modeling." Advances in Psychological Science 19 (21):1859-67.
- Wen Zh. L. & Wu Y. 2010. "Evolution and Simplification of the Approaches to Estimating Structural Equation Models with Latent Interaction." Advances in Psychological Science 18 (8):1306-13.
- Wang X. K., Li L. Zh., & Mu S. K. 2016. "The Effect of Social Support on Adolescents’ Life Satisfaction: A Moderated Mediating Model." Journal of Minnan Normal University 12 (30):107-113.
- Wang L. Ch. 2014. Relationship Among Psychological Capital, Social Support, and Degree of Satisfaction Campus Life in College Students. Retrieved from http://cdmd.cnki.com.cn/Article/CDMD-10681- 1015004162.htm on August 7, 2018.
- Wu M. L. 2010. A Structural Equation Model – Manipulation and Application of AMOS. Chongqing: Chongqing University Press.
- Xiao Sh. Y. 1994. "The Theoretical Basis and Research Application of the Social Support Rating Scale." Journal of Clinical Psychological Medicine 4(2):98-100.
- Xie J. Sh. & Deng Ch. L. 2014. "Social Support and Life Satisfaction: Mediating Effect of Resilience in Junior High School Students." Chinese Journal of Clinical Psychology 22(4):676-679.
- Ye Y. Q. & Lu Ai. T. 2017. "The Effect of Social Support on Learning Burnout of College Students: Moderated Mediation Model of Financial Condition and Life Satisfaction". Psychological Research 10(4):79-85.
- Yu J. H., Li D., & Wang F. X. 2013. "Relationship Among Social Support, Coping Styles and Life Satisfaction of Armed Police Recruits." Psychological Research 1:71-74.
- Yang X. F. 2009. "A Study on the Relationship Among Social Support, Core Self-evaluation and Subjective Well-being in College Students." Chinese Journal of Special Education 114 (12):84-91.
- Adela Y., Noreen E. M., & Thomas J. Y. 2001. "Social Support and Well-Being in Early Adolescents." The Role of Mediating Variables 10 (2):163-181.
- Baron R. M. & Kenny D. A. 1986. The Moderator-Mediator Variable Distinction in Social Psychological Research: Conceptual, Strategic, and Statistical Considerations." Journal of Personality & Social Psychology 51:1173-82.
- Fredrickson B. L., Cohn M. A., Coffey K. A., Pek J., & Finkel S. M. 2008. "Open Hearts Build Lives: Positive Emotions, Induced Rhrough Loving-kindness Meditation, Build Consequential Personal Resources." Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 95:1045-62.