Main Article Content
This paper presents a critical evaluation of ethical and philosophical concerns about the effective altruism as an ethical position. Effective altruists claim that one of our important ethical obligations is to do the most good possible, with the biggest possible positive impact. This impact should be measured with rational tools and by evaluating the effectiveness of our actions. At first glance, this might seem as a consensus building position, a good starting point for building a community of people wanting to change the world for the better. In our paper, we present some difficulties which are connected with such a way of thinking about charity and an ethical obligation to donate. We discuss the problem of the commercialization of ethical values, understanding effectiveness, agreeing about goals, as well as the political consequences of effective altruism understood as an ethical position.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Babiak D., Hare R., & Neumann P. 2010. “Corporate Psychopathy: Talking the Walk,” Behavioral Sciences and the Law 28:174–193.
- Babiak P. & Hare R.D. 2006. Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths Go to Work. New York, NY: Regan Books.
- Carter J. R. & Irons M. D. 1991. “Are Economists Different, and If So, Why?,” Journal of Economic Perspectives 5(2):171–177.
- Chang H.-J. 2008. Bad Samaritans: The Guilty Secrets of Rich Nations and the Threat to Global Prosperity. New York: Random House.
- Cipriani G. P., Lubian D., & Zago A. 2009. “Natural Born Economists?,” Journal of Economic Psychology 30(3):455–468.
- Elzenberg H., 1994. Kłopot z istnieniem. Aforyzmy w porządku czasu. Kraków: Wydawnictwo Znak.
- Frank R. H., Gilovich T., & Regan D. T. 1993. “Does Studying Economics Inhibit Cooperation?,” Journal of Economic Perspectives 7(2):159–171.
- Frank B. & Schulze G. G. 2000. “Does Economics Make Citizens Corrupt?,” Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 43(1):101–113.
- Frey B. S., Pommerehne W. W., & Gygi B. 1993. “Economics Indoctrination or Selection – Some Empirical Results,” Journal of Economic Education 24(3):271–281.
- Frey B. & Oberholzer-Gee F. 1997. “The Cost of Price Incentives: An Empirical Analysis of Motivation Crowding- Out,” The American Economic Review 87(4):746–755.
- Ghoshal S. 2005. “Bad Management Theories Are Destroying Good Management Practices,” Academy of Management Learning and Education 4(1):75–91.
- Gneezy U. & Rustichini A. 2000. “A Fine Is a Price,” The Journal of Legal Studies 29(1):1–17.
- Hansson S. 2013. Ethics of Risk. Ethical Analysis in an Uncertain World. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Haugen G. & Boutros V. 2014. The Locust Effect. Why the End of Poverty Requires the End of Violence. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kahneman D., Knetsch J. L., & Thaler R. H. 1986a. “Fairness and the Assumptions of Economics,” Journal of Business 59(4):285–300.
- Kahneman D., Knetsch J. L., & Thaler R. H. 1986b. “Fairness as a Constraint on Profit Seeking: Entitlements in the Market,” The American Economic Review 76(4):728–774.
- Kucz M. 2019. “How to Shape Moral Attitudes in Banking – the Polish Example,” Finance & Bien Commun/Common Good 46&47:61–72.
- MacAskill W. 2015. Doing Good Better: How Effective Altruism Can Help You Make a Difference. New York: Gotham Books.
- MacAskill W. 2017. “Effective Altruism: Introduction,” Essays in Philosophy 18(1):eP1580 1–5.
- MacAskill W. 2019. “The Definition of Effective Altruism,” in H. Greaves & T. Pummer (Eds.), Effective Altruism. Philosophical Issues (pp. 1–10). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Marwell G. & Ames R. E. 1981. “Economists Free Ride, Does Anyone Else? Experiments on the Provision of Public Goods,” Journal of Public Economics 15(3):295–310.
- Mazzucato M. 2018. The Value of Everything. Making and Taking in the Global Economy. Public Affairs.
- Mouffe Ch. 2000. The Democratic Paradox. Verso: London.
- Neesham C. & Gu J. 2015. “Strengthening Moral Judgment: A Moral Identity-based Leverage Strategy in Business Ethics Education,” Journal of Business Ethics 131:527–534.
- Ranciere J. 1999. Disagreement, Politics and Philosophy. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Rocchi M. 2019. “Technomoral Financial Agents: Ethics in the Fintech Era,” Finance & Bien Commun/Common Good 46&47:25–42.
- Roncella A. & Roncella L. 2019. “Finance Needs ‘Bilinguals’ Too,” Finance & Bien Commun/Common Good 46&47:61–72.
- Rubinstein A. 2006. “A Sceptic’s Comment on the Study of Economics,” Economic Journal 116:C1–C9.
- Sandel M. 2012. What Money Can’t Buy: The Moral Limits of Markets. New York: Macmillan.
- Schillinger M. 2006. Learning Environment and Moral Development: How University Education Fosters Moral Judgment Competence in Brazil and two German-speaking Countries. Aachen: Shaker.
- Singer P. 2010. The Life You Can Save: Dow To Do Your Part to End World Poverty. New York: Random House Trade Paperbacks.
- Singer P. 2015. The Most Good You Can Do: How Effective Altruism Is Changing Ideas about Living Ethically. New Haven – London: Yale University Press.
- Titmuss R., Oakley M. A., & Ashton J. 1997. The Gift Relationship: From Human Blood to Social Policy. New York City: The New Press.
- Welzer H. 2012. Climate Wars. What People Will Be Killed for in the 21st Century. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Brooks D. 2013. „The Way to Produce a Person,” The New York Times. Last accessed on May 29, 2020. https://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/04/opinion/brooks-the-way-to-produce-a-person.html?ref=opinion
- MacMahan J. 2012. Philosophical Critiques of Effective Altruism. Last accessed on May 29, 2020. Philosophical Critiques of Effective Altruism refs in text
- Matthews D. 2013. “Join Wall St., Save the World,” Washington Post, May 31, 2013. Last accessed on May 29, 2020. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/05/31/join-wallstreet-save-the-world/
- Oxford Dictionaries, altruism <https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/altruism> accessed 27 October 2017
- Oxford Dictionaries, effective < https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/effective> accessed 27 October 2017
- Pummer T. & MacAskill W. 2019. “Effective Altruism,” in International Encyclopedia of Ethics (forthcoming 2019). Effective Altruism (https://philpapers.org/archive/PUMEA.pdf). Last accessed on May 30, 2020.
- Schwartz B. 2009. On Our Loss of Wisdom, TED. Last accessed on August 26, 2017. <https://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_our_loss_of_wisdom>
- Seneca 1917. Epistles. DOI: 10.4159/DLCL. Last accessed on August 30, 2017. <https://www.loebclassics.com/view/seneca_younger-epistles/1917/pb_LCL076.93.xml>
- Snow M. 2015. “Against Charity,” Jacobin from 25.08.2015, Against Charity (https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/08/peter-singer-charity-effective-altruism/). Last accessed on May 30, 2020.