Main Article Content
Digitization is a prime globalized ideology in the 21st century high tech revolution. It essentially deals with automation of manual process to make room for easy documentation and sustainable data regime. Africa is an emerging digital domain with many of its young generation becoming keen lovers of Information Technology (IT), and many of the youth population fast becoming internet devotees, social and new media addicts. One of the trending fantasies, among the numerous exploitations and innovations of the new technology is selfie. Selfie is simply a selfphotograph of a person’s portrait by himself. This is possible by the use of smartphone or digital camera held out at arm’s length by the person taking the snapshot. Presently, there is craze for digital identity among African youths. It is against this background that undergraduate students at the University of Port Harcourt were sampled purposively for deployment in this study. This study utilizes questionnaire and Focus Group Discussion (FGD) as instruments for data gathering in order to determine whether the use of selfies is more common to the male or female members of the African digital society. Finally, the study is guided by Uses and Gratification theory and Symbolic Interactionism Theory.
Journal of Gender and Power is an Open Access Journal. Copyright of the article published in the Journal of Gender and Power is retained by the authors with first publication rights granted to the Adam Mickiewicz University Press.
- BELLIS, M. (2020) Who invented the Selfie? ThoughtCo. [Online] Available from: https://www.thoughtco.com/who-invented-the-selfie-1992418 [Accessed: 7 April 2020].
- CROSSMAN, A. (2020) What Is Symbolic Interactionism? ThoughtCo. [Online] Available from: https://www.thoughtco.com/symbolic-interaction-theory-3026633 [Accessed: 7 April 2020].
- DAVID, L. (2016) Uses and Gratification Theory. [Online] Available from: https://www.learning-theories.com/uses-and-gratification-theory.html [Accessed: 15 October 2018].
- DHIR, A. et al. (2016) Do age and gender differences exist in selfie-related behaviours? Computers in Human Behaviour. Vol. 63, Issue C. Pp. 549–555. [Online] Available from: ACM Digital Library https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1016/j.chb.2016.05.053. [Accessed: 6th April 2020].
- Digital Skills Global (2020) How mobile technology is driving Africa’s digital economy. [Online] Available from: https://digitalskillsglobal.com/blog/how-mobile-technology-is-driving-africas-digital-economy [Accessed: 7 April 2020].
- FLOYD, L.T. (2015) Digital Fundamentals (11th Edition/Global Edition). Pearson Education Limited. [Online] Available from: http://tailieudientu.lrc.tnu.edu.vn/Upload/Collection/brief/brief_53392_57840_20161006170128_CN201603063.pdf [Accessed: 7 April 2020].
- Innovation Village (2015) Etranzact CEO, Valentine Obi speaks on big data’s effect on payments at #MWA2015. [Online] Available from: https://innovation-village.com [Accessed: 17 April 2020].
- MANCINI, J. (2015) From information and data chaos to information opportunity. [Online] Available from: https://www.i-scoop.eu [Accessed: 12 September 2018].
- MOURDOUKOUTAS, E. (2017) Africa’s digital rise hooked on innovation. [Online] Available from: https://www.un.org/africarenewal/magazine/may-july-2017/africa%E2%80%99s-digital-rise-hooked-innovation [Accessed: 2 October 2018].
- Premium Times (2018) Active mobile lines in Nigeria hit 144 million in December—NCC. [Online] Available from: https://www.Premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news. [Accessed: 2 October 2018].
- ResearchGate (2020) Symbolic interaction theory. [Online] Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/275537393_Symbolic_interaction_theory [Accessed: 13 April 2020].
- SEDGEWICK, J. F., FLATH, M. E. & ELIAS, L. J. (2017) Presenting Your Best Self(ie): The Influence of Gender on Vertical Orientation of Selfies on Tinder. [Abstract] Front Psychol. [Online] Available from: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.00604/full [Accessed: 13 October 2018].
- SPARKS, M. (2015) The ‘selfie’ craze: Who are more vain, men or women? [Online] Available from: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/11376259/The-selfiecraze-who-are-more-vain-men-or-women.html [Accessed: 12 October 2018].
- Symbolic Interactionism Theory. [Online] Available from: http://www.communicationstudies.com/communication-theories/symbolic-interactionism-theory [Accessed: 15 March 2019].
- Symbolic Interactionist Theory (2012). Lumen. [Online] Available from: https://courses.lumenlearning.com/alamo-sociology/chapter/reading-symbolic-interactionist-theory/ [Accessed: 13 April 2020].
- The Guardian Business News (2016) Smartphone Penetration Hits 30% in Nigeria. [Online] Available from: https://guardian.ng/business-services/smartphone-penetration-hits-30-in-nigeria/ [Accessed: 2 October 2018].
- The Public Domain Review (n.d.) Robert Cornelius’ Self-Portrait: The first Ever “Selfie” (1839). [Online] Available from: https://publicdomainview.org/collections/robert-cornelius-self-portrait-the-first-ever-selfie-1839/ [Accessed: 17 September 2018].
- TURNEY, S. (n.d.) Uses and gratifications theory and its connection to public relations. [Online] Available from: https://sites.psu.edu>sarahturney [Accessed: 18 April 2020].
- VINNEY, C. (2019) What Is Uses and Gratifications Theory? Definition and Examples. ThoughCo. [Online] Available from: https://www.thoughtco.com/uses-and-gratifications-theory-4628333 [Accessed: 13 April 2020].