The language biography in the socio-political process: The example of Polish woman from the Republic of Moldova. The aim of this article is to show what sociolinguistic factors influence the shaping of an individual’s multilingualism and what is the correlation between the languages used in the historical and social context. Factors influencing the multilingualism of an individual depend on the place of birth (father’s language, mother’s language), place of residence (village, city, number of speakers in a given language), the status and prestige of the language (the language of the state administration, the language of a minority group), the state’s language policy (constant, variable). The socio-political situation of the Republic of Moldova was outlined in order to understand the specific linguistic case of Poland living in Chisinau and her life in languages, and to show the role of an individual’s language in the context of socio-political changes in Moldova. Various social, political and economic factors influenced the multilingualism of the Polish woman from Chisinau. Over the course of her long life, the range of language use and the competences in each of them have changed. External factors shaped her linguistic behavior. Political and social events in this part of Europe influenced the change, use and acquisition of new languages.
Demel Juliusz, Historia Rumunii, Warszawa 1970.
Funika Włodzimierz, Polacy a Besarabia w latach 1812–1940, [w:] Polacy w Mołdawii, red. E. Walewander, Lublin 1995, s. 58–89.
Głuszkowski Michał, Socjologiczne i psychologiczne uwarunkowania dwujęzyczności staroobrzędowców regionu suwalsko-augustowskiego, Toruń 2011.
Grzywaczewski Tomasz, Granice marzeń. O państwach nieuznawanych, Wołowiec 2018.
Jurczak Kazimierz, Wybór dokumentów prawnych dotyczących mniejszości narodowych. Polacy w Mołdawii, t. 8, Warszawa 2004.
Miodunka Władysław, Biografia językowa jako jedna z metod badania dwujęzyczności, [w:] Bilingwizm polsko-obcy dziś. Od teorii i metodologii badań do studiów przypadków, red. R. Dębski, W. Miodunka, Kraków 2016, s. 49–88.
Oleksy Piotr, Wspólnota z przypadku. Studium tożsamości mieszkańców Naddniestrza, Gniezno 2016.
Oleksy Piotr, Naddniestrze. Terror tożsamości, Wołowiec 2018.
Skowronek Anna, Polacy w rosyjskiej Besarabii w latach 1812–1918, Poznań 2018.
Spieralski Zdzisław, Awantury Mołdawskie, Warszawa 1967.
Wieliczko Mieczysław, Polityczne położenie ziem między środkowym biegiem Dniestru, Prutu i Seretu w latach 1914–1947, [w:] Polacy w Mołdawii, red. E. Walewander, Lublin 1995, s. 90–116.
Zdaniuk Bartłomiej, Konsolidacja państwa w Republice Mołdawii, Warszawa 2016.
Copyright (c) 2022 Helena Krasowska
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- The Author hereby warrants that he/she is the owner of all the copyright and other intellectual property rights in the Work and that, within the scope of the present Agreement, the paper does not infringe the legal rights of another person.The owner of the copyright work also warrants that he/she is the sole and original creator thereof and that is not bound by any legal constraints in regard to the use or sale of the work.
- The Author grants the Purchaser non-exclusive and free of charge license to unlimited use worldwide over an unspecified period of time in the following areas of exploitation:
2.1. production of multiple copies of the Work produced according to the specific application of a given technology, including printing, reproduction of graphics through mechanical or electrical means (reprography) and digital technology;
2.2. marketing authorisation, loan or lease of the original or copies thereof;
2.3. public performance, public performance in the broadcast, video screening, media enhancements as well as broadcasting and rebroadcasting, made available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them;
2.4. inclusion of the Work into a collective work (i.e. with a number of contributions);
2.5. inclusion of the Work in the electronic version to be offered on an electronic platform, or any other conceivable introduction of the Work in its electronic version to the Internet;
2.6. dissemination of electronic versions of the Work in its electronic version online, in a collective work or independently;
2.7. making the Work in the electronic version available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them, in particular by making it accessible via the Internet, Intranet, Extranet;
2.8. making the Work available according to appropriate license pattern Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-ND 4.0) as well as another language version of this license or any later version published by Creative Commons.
- The Author grants the Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan permission to:
3.1. reproduce a single copy (print or download) and royalty-free use and disposal of rights to compilations of the Work and these compilations.
3.2. send metadata files related to the Work, including to commercial and non-commercial journal-indexing databases.
- The Author declares that, on the basis of the license granted in the present Agreement, the Purchaser is entitled and obliged to allow third parties to obtain further licenses (sublicenses) to the Work and to other materials, including derivatives thereof or compilations made based on or including the Work, whereas the provisions of such sub-licenses will be the same as with the attributed license pattern Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-ND 4.0) or another language version of this license, or any later version of this license published by Creative Commons. Thereby, the Author entitles all interested parties to use the work, for non-commercial purposes only, under the following conditions:
4.1. acknowledgment of authorship, i.e. observing the obligation to provide, along with the distributed work, information about the author, title, source (link to the original Work, DOI) and of the license itself.
4.2. the derivatives of the Work are subject to the same conditions, i.e. they may be published only based on a licence which would be identical to the one granting access to the original Work.
- The University of Adam Mickiewicz in Poznań is obliged to
5.1. make the Work available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them, without any technological constraints;
5.2. appropriately inform members of the public to whom the Work is to be made available about sublicenses in such a way as to ensure that all parties are properly informed (appropriate informing messages).
- The University of Adam Mickiewicz in Poznań hereby preserves the copyright to the journal as a whole (layout/stylesheet, graphics, cover design, logo etc.)