Main Article Content
The article Becoming what we pray: Three images, three voices by professor Michael Plekon presents three persons who were very important for Orthodox culture, spirituality and thought — saint Seraphim of Sarov, Mother Maria Skobtsova and Paul Evdokimov. Showing the most substantial facts from their life and activity the author exhibits the real transformation, metamorphosis of their personalities, hearts and consciousnesses under the action of practice of the Jesus' Prayer or the prayer of the heart. The main aim of the article is — one can suppose — to underline the role of the Jesus' Prayer in changing people who systematically practicing it in their life, and in giving them the power to go over the stereotypes, myths and customs, even religious. The heart of the matter is emphasizing — in positive meaning — the real close union between the prayer andthe life and the relationship with neighbour. Professor Plekon stresses that “the personaland interior aspects of this prayer are never separated from liturgical prayer and ourlives”. Christians believe in salvation and resurrection of Jesus Christ and they practice the Jesus Prayer, but this prayer formula is not only devoid of life meaning formula but it is the method of changing the whole human mentality, in each everyday circumstances concerning family, marriage, work, life in monastic community, doing shopping, reading books, watching TV programs, raising children, writing the scientific articles, being in different social and cultural situations, generally — it changes all, the vision of life and the universe.
Utwór dostępny jest na licencji Creative Commons Uznanie autorstwa – Bez utworów zależnych 4.0 Międzynarodowe.
- Bulgakov S., The Bride of the Lamb, przeł. na j. ang. B. Jakim, Eerdmans, Grand Rapids (Michigan) 2002.
- “Contacts” 1971, No. 73–74.
- Evdokimov P., Ages of the Spiritual Life, tłum. i red. M. Plekon i A. Vinogradov, (Crestwood NY: St Vladimir’s Seminary Press, Crestwood (New York) 1998.
- Hackel S., Pearl of Great Price, St Vladimir’s Seminary Press, Crestwood (New York) 1982.
- Little Russian Philokalia, vol. I, St. Seraphim, St. Herman Press, Platina (California) 1991.
- Nicholl D., Holiness in the Tradition of the Orthodox Church, [w:] In the World, of the Church: A Paul Evdokimov Reader, tłum. i red. M. Plekon i A. Vinogradov, St. Vladimir’s Seminary Press, Crestwood (New York) 2001.
- Nicholl D., Triumphs of the Spirit in Russia, Longman & Todd, London, Darton 1997.
- Plekon M., Living Icons: Persons of Faith in the Eastern Church, University of Notre Dame Press, Notre Dame (Indiana) 2002.
- Skobtsova M., Mother, The Mysticism of Human Communion, [w:] Mother Maria Skobtsova: Essential Writings, przeł. na j. ang. R. Pevear and L. Volokhonsky, Orbis Books, Maryknoll (New York) 2003.
- Tradition Alive: On the Church and the Christian Life in Our Time / Readings from the Eastern Church, pod red. M. Plekona, ze wstępem J. H. Ericksona, Sheed & Ward / Rowman
- & Littlefield, Lanham (Maryland) 2003.
- Zander V., St. Seraphim of Sarov, St. Vladimir’s Seminary Press, Crestwood (New York) 1975.