Main Article Content
The employment issues relating to women in the workplace, including the employment and dismissal rights of women and in particular the dismissal of pregnant women, are important topics in the Israeli conversation on the equality of women in the workplace. The dismissal of pregnant women in Israel is deemed to be a wrongful dismissal and is a frequent topic of claims submitted to the Israeli Labor Court. Consequently, the subject is of major interest to Israeli employers and employees. This article presents a review of empirical legal research and analysis of Israeli Labor Court rulings of compensation awards for wrongful dismissal of pregnant women. The objective of the research is to reveal the factors influencing compensation awards by the court and to indicate tendencies apparent in court assessment of compensation.
- Basic law: Human Dignity and Liberty, 1992, Book of Laws 1992, 1391, 150.
- Equal Opportunities Employment Law, 1988, Book of Laws 1988, 1240, 3.
- The Equal Rights of Persons with Disabilities Law, 1998, Book of Laws 1658, 1998, 152.
- The Labor Court Law, 1969, Book of Laws 553, 70.
- Woman Employment Law, 1954, Book of Laws 1954 160, 154.
- Proposal Women Employment Law (amendment number 36) (remedies and jurisdiction), 2005, Law Proposals- Knesset, 23.11.2005, 46, explanatory comments of amendment of §13A.
- Amendment number 18 of the Equal Opportunities Employment Law, Book of Laws 2406, 2013, 203.
- The official announcement gazette, 5815, 5.6.2010, 3309.
- Case law
- LA 1353/02, Margalith Appelboim v Niza Holtzman, PD 39, 495, Nevo
- D48/8-3 (National), Avner Koppel, Insurance Agency v. Adi Weiss Arlovich, PD 20, 57 Nevo, 1988
- LA 1334/02 Haley Nosezky v. State of Israel, PDL 40, 16, Nevo, 2004
- LA (National) 1156/04 Home Center (Do it yourself) Ltd. v Orit Goren, Nevo, 2007
- LA (National) 627/06 Orly Morey v M.D.P. Yellow Ltd., Nevo 2008
- LA (National) 593/08, Neot Hasharon Nursing Center v Isa Walla, Nevo 2010
- LA (National) 363/07, Sharona Arbiv v Poamix Ltd., Nevo, 2010
- LA 178/06 Plony v Almonit, Nevo 2010
- LC 9466/08 Yoram Shoval v. I.B.M. Global Services Israel, Nevo, 2011
- BSA (National) 135/10 Naman counselling and guidance for the golden age v Adva Zafon Benyamin, Nevo, 2011
- LA 697/09 Plonit v Almony, Nevo 2011
- LA (National) 21781-10-10, Lulu Rashad v Regional Committee for planning and construction-Alonim, Nevo, July 2013
- LA (National) 43380-06-11, Plony V Almonit, Nevo, 2014
- CA HC 7426/14 Plonit v Ori Daniel, Nevo 14/3/2016
- Davidov G., Eshet I., Job security: Toward Balanced Intermediate solutions, Mishpatim, 2012, 43. (Hebrew)
- Eisenberg T., The Origins, Nature, and Promise of Empirical Legal Studies, 34, U. L. Rev. 303, Tel Aviv 2011. (Hebrew)
- Feinberg N., Goldberg M., Termination of the Labor Relationship, Sadan Press, 2009. (Hebrew)
- Lubotzky Y., Frenkel D.A., The Dilemmas Involved in the Managers' Prerogative to Dismiss, in the "Constitutional Revolution" Era, 3 Law and Business, July 2005. (Hebrew)
- Lubotzky Y., Termination of Employment 3-71, Bar Association publication, 4th ed., Sep. 2013. (Hebrew) chapter 5
- Rabin-Margalioth S., Turning Points in individual labor law, 6 Din Ve Dvarim, 2011. (Hebrew)
- Shemer Begas R., Procedural justice and employee dignity in dismissal – reflection on the rule of hearing, Labor Society and Law, 2012, 13. (Hebrew).