Main Article Content
The purpose of this article is to address the links between minority culture, education and identity in the context of Palestinian Arabs in Israel (PAI). In an effort to demonstrate the unique socio-political status and cultural orientation of the PAI, the historical background of Palestinians in Israel is provided as well as a description of the educational system in Israel, with emphasis on Arab sector education. Against this background, I examine: (1) issues of education and identity among PAI and (2) the potential for identity conflict. Since the majority of teachers in the Arab sector are women, issues of gender relations are also discussed. The narrative methodology is recommended for further research on the way in which Palestinian Arab teachers, as potential agents of social change, relate to the broader cultural context in which they live and how identity issues are managed and expressed in the context of professional roles. The author of this article is a Palestinian Arab teacher in the Israeli educational system. This provides an opportunity for an in-depth analysis of the phenomena presented from an “insider” perspective.
- Abu-Asbah K., Education for Values in a Society in Crisis, s.l.: Masser Institute of Research, Planning and Educational Counseling, 2012.
- Abu-Baker K., Arab Society in Israel: Between exclusion and discrimination, Van Leer Institu-te, Jerusalemc2006.
- Abu-Saad I., The Work Values of Arab Teachers in Israel, Journal of Values and Beliefs, 2003, 24(1).
- Al-Haj M., Education, Empowerment and Control: The Case of Arabs in Israel, State University of New York, Albany 1995.
- Arar K., The State of Arab Education in Israel, Italian Journal of Sociology of Education, 2012, 1.
- Arar K., Massry-Herzllah A., A Motivation to Teach: The Case of Arab Teachers in Israel, Educational Studies, 2016.
- Ayalon A., Sagy S., Acculturation Attitudes and Perceptions of Collective Narratives: The Case of Israeli-Arab Youth, Youth Society, 2011, 43.
- Berry J.W., Psychology of Acculturation, Nebraska University, Lincoln NE 1990.
- Bogler R., Satisfaction of Jewish and Arab Teachers in Israel, Journal of Social Psychology, 2005, 145(1).
- Bruner J.S., The Culture of Education, Harvard University Press, Cambridge MA 1996.
- Cohen H., The Present-Absent: Refugees in Israel Since 1948, Van Leer Institute, Jerusalem 2000.
- Dahan Y., Levy G., Multi-Cultural Education in the Zionist State, Studies in Philosophy and Education, 2000, 19.
- Dwairy M., Personality, Culture and Arabic Society, Al-Noor, Jerusalem 1997.
- Dwairy M., Culturally sensitive education: Adapting Self-oriented Assertiveness Training to Collective Minorities, Journal of Social Issues, 2004, 60(2).
- Freire P., The Politics of Education: Culture, Power and Education, Bergin and Garvey, West-port, CT 1985.
- Gergen M.M. a. G.K.J., Narratives in Action, Narrative Inquiry, 2006, 16(1).
- Giroux H.A., Ideology, Culture and the Process of Schooling, New York 1981.
- Israel Central Bureau of Statistics, Satistical Yearbook, Jerusalem 2015.
- Josselson R., Leiblich A., Interpretting Experience: The Narrative Study of Lives, Sage, Thou-sand Oaks 1995.
- Kelman H.C., The Role of National Identity in Conflict Resolution: Experiences from Israeli-Palestinian problem Solving Workshops, Oxford Press, New York 2001.
- Khamaisi R., Transition from Ruralism to Urbanization: The Case of Arab Localities in Israel, Horizons in Geography, 2012.
- Kroeber A.L., Kluckhohn C., Culture: A Critical Review of Concepts and Definitions, Harvard University Press, Cambridge MA 1952.
- Leiblich A., Tuval-Mashiach R., Zilber T., Narrative Research: Reading, Analysis and Interpretation, Sage, Thousand Oaks 1998.
- Lindsey J., Culture's Role in Teacher Identity: Prompting Teachers to Explore their Cultural Background, Action in Teacher Education: The Journal of the Association of Teacher Education, 2004, 1.
- Makkawi I., Role Conflict and the Dilemma of Palestinian Teachers in Israel, Comparative Education, 2002, 38(1).
- Mana A., Sagy S., Srour A., Mjally-Knani S., Perceptions of Collective Narratives and Identity Strategies: The Case of Palestinian Muslims and Christians in Israel, Mind Soc, 2012, 11.
- McAdams D.P., Stories We Live By: Personal Myths and the Making of Self, Morrow, New York 1993.
- Polkinghorne D.E., Narrative Knowing and the Human Sciences, New York State University Press, New York 1988.
- Reichel N., Arnon S., A Multicultural View of the Good Teacher in Israel, Teachers and Teaching, 2009, 15(1).
- Rouhana N., Accentuated Identities in Protracted Conflicts: The Collective Identity of Palestinian Citizens in Israel, Asian African Studies, 1993, 27.
- Sagy S., Orr E., Bar-On D., Awad E., Individualism and Collectivism in Two Conflicted Socie-ties: Comparing Israeli Jewish and Palestinian Arab High School Students, Youth & Society, 2001, 33(1).
- Scham P., The Historical Narratives of Israelis and Palestinians and the Peacemaking Process, Israel Studies Forum, 2006, 21(2).
- Schiff B., Talking About Identity: Arab Students at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Ethos, 2002, 30(3).
- Schwartz S.H., Individualism-Collectivism: Critique and Proposed Refinements, Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 1990, 21(2).
- Schwartz S.H. et al., Refining the Theory of Basic Individual Values, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 2012, 103(4).
- Schwartz S.H., Ros M., Values in the West: A Theoretical and Empirical Challenge to the In-dividualism-Collectivism Cultural dimensions, World Psychology, 1996, 1.
- Shapira T., Women in the Arab Educational System: Obstacles and Empowerment, University of Haifa, Haifa 2009.
- Sharabi M., The Relative Centrality of Life Domains Among Jews and Arabs in Israel: The Effect of Culture, Ethnicity and Demographic Variables, Community, Work and Family, 2014, 17(2).
- Smooha S., The Model of Ethnic Democracy: Israel as a Jewish and Democratic State, Nation and Nationalism, 2002, 8(4).
- Soen D., Gender Equality? IJEMS, 2013, 6(2).
- Suleiman R., Perceptions of the Minority's Collective Behavior and Voting Behavior: The Case of Palestinians in Israel, Journal of Social Psychology, 2002, 142(6).
- Swirski S., Dagan-Bouzaglo N., Discrimination, Inequality and Control: The Status Quo of Israeli Education, Adva Center, Tel Aviv 2009.