Main Article Content
This paper shows that it is possible to note a number of points in the development of the educational system in Israel from the establishment of the State: the framework of uniform education from the end of 1948 until the conclusions of the Fromkin Committee in 1950 and the integration from 1968. The changes of policy reflect the historical changes that occurred in the social economic discourse and that shaped the development of the state of Israel. The system began its path as controlled by the center and as supporting social equality. After failed attempts to correct the difference that reigned between groups of students, reforms in the system, such as the implementation of the integration program, led to the presentation of a new policy, such as affirmative action. Following another failure, reforms were presented, and an attempt was made to return to the idea of equality through the presentation of analysis and evaluation related to the quality outputs of the system. Israel faces many challenges to improve its educational system, and it has the duty to persevere with the reforms it has initiated in the subject of education. Education is one of the most important investments that the State can make to improve its future.
- Aviram R., Education and Equality in the Postmodern Era, Henrietta Szold Institute, The National Institute for Behavioral Research, Trends: Quarterly to Behavioral Sciences, 1998 (Hebrew).
- Burbules N., Dialogue in Teaching: Theory and Practice, Teachers College Press, New York 1993.
- Corson D., Changing Education for Diversity, Open University Press, PA, Bristol 1998.
- Declaration of Independence of the State of Israel, 1948.
- Hadad Y., The Educational System in Israel: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow, University of Haifa, Haifa 2015 (Hebrew).
- Lavi Tz., Is Education Possible in the Era of Postmodernism? Sifriat HaPoalim, Tel Aviv 2000 (Hebrew).
- Lemm Tz., Ideology, Pedagogy, and Policy in Education in the State of Israel, [in:] Initiative for Social Justice, Ed. M. Elkana, Yad Yaari 2000 (Hebrew).
- Pasternak R., Chapters in the Sociology of Education, Vol. 1, Unit 1, The Open University, 2002 (Hebrew).
- Rich Y., The Heterogeneous Class: Education and Teaching, Bar Ilan University, 1996 (Hebrew).
- Sabirsky S., Seeds of Inequality, Brirut, Tel Aviv 1995 (Hebrew).
- Tzameret Tz., Days of the Melting Pot: Investigation Committee for the Education of the Children of Immigrants (1950), Ben Gurion University Kiryat Sdeh Boker 1993 (Hebrew).
- Tzameret Tz., A Narrow Bridge: The Educational System in the First Years of the State, Ben Gurion University and the Institute for the Heritage of Ben Gurion, Kiryat Sdeh Boker 1997 (Hebrew).
- Tzameret Tz., The Melting Pot in Israel, State University of New York Press, New York 2002 (Hebrew).
- Tzameret Tz., Education in the First Decade, The Open University Press, Tel Aviv 2003 (Hebrew).