Main Article Content
The role of the educational counsellor in schools has undergone modification in response to recent changes in social, familial and pupil characteristics. The traditional, one-on-one approach has gradually been replaced with collaborative methods that are more in keeping with the times, more comprehensive and more proactive. One method of collaborative teaming that has increasingly found its way into schools is consultation. This is an indirect intervention process based on interaction between counsellors (“consultants”) and teachers (“consultees”) where the former provide professional advice, within their fields of specialization, for dealing with specific problems encountered by teachers in their day-to-day work. It is meant to support teachers in dealing with the demanding school environment by primarily working directly with them rather than with pupils and by providing important professional resources and problem-solving skills. My research examined this method from the perspective of teachers in Israeli schools in Nazareth, where the student population and the teachers are Arab. Data were collected using in-depth interviews. Among other things, the results indicated a willingness on the part of teachers to adjust to new methods but pointed to systemic obstacles to effective implementation.
- Abu-Asbah K., Education for Values in a Society in Crisis, Massar Institute of Research, Planning and Educational Counseling, Tel Aviv 2012.
- Abu-Baker K., Arab Society in Israel: Between exclusion and discrimination or incorporation and equality, The Institute for Israel-Arab Studies, Van Leer, Jerusalem 2006 (Hebrew).
- Al-Haj M., Education, Empowerment and Control: The Case of Arabs in Israel, State University of New York, Albany 1995.
- Arar K., Massry-Herzllah A., A Motivation to Teach: The Case of Arab Teachers in Israel, Educational Studies 2016.
- Arar K., Shapira T., Azaiza F., Hertz L.R., Arab Women in Management and Leadership: Stories from Israel, Palgrave Macmillan, New York 2013.
- Caplan G., Types of mental health consultation in schools, American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 1963, 33.
- Clemens E., Developmental counseling and therapy as a model for schoolcounselor consultation with teachers, Professional School Counseling, 2007, 10, 4.
- Dahan T., Jerusalem Post, Internet edition, December 2, 2012.
- Erchul W.P., Martens B.K., School consultation: Conceptual and empirical bases of practice, Kluwer/Plenum, New York 2002.
- Erchul W.P., Sheridan S.M., Overview: The state of scientific research in school consultation, [in:] Handbook of research in school consultation, Eds. W.P. Erchul, S.M. Sheridan (2nd ed.), Routledge, New York 2014.
- Erhard R., Empowering consultation: Theory and practice, Ramot, Tel Aviv 2008 (Hebrew). Jerusalem Post Internet edition December 2012.
- Khamaisi R., Transition from Ruralism to Urbanization: The Case oif Arab Localities in Israel, Horizons in Geography, 2012.
- Lavid A., Consultations with teachers for improving socio-emotional areas, Masters Thesis, Oranim 2007 (Hebrew).
- Levi-Feldman A., Who are you "worthy" teacher? Education and its Environment – Yearbook of Kibbutz, Seminar, 2010 (Hebrew).
- Lopez E.C., Nastasi B.K., Process and outcome research in selected models of consultation, [in:] Handbook of research in school consultation (2nd ed.), Eds. W.P. Erchul, S.M. Sheridan, Routledge, New York 2014.
- Mor P., Lurie A., The power of the educational advisor: The school as a magnified educational environment, JDC Ashalim, Jerusalem 2006.
- Newell M., Newman D.S., Assessing the state of evidence in consultation training: A review and call to the field, [in:] Handbook of research in school consultation (2nd ed.), Eds. W.P. Erchul, S.M. Sheridan, Routledge, New York 2014.
- Sagy S., Orr E., Bar-On D., Awad E., Individualism and Collectivism in Two Conflicted Societies: Comparing Israeli Jewish and Palestinian Arab High School Students, Youth and Society, 2001, 33(1).
- Sheridan S.M., Erchul W.P., Epilogue: Final comments on school consultation research, [in:] Handbook of research in school consultation (2nd ed.), Eds. W.P. Erchul, S.M. Sheridan, Routledge, New York 2014. Soen D., Gender Equality? IJEMS, 2013, 6(2).
- Swirski S., Dagan-Bouzaglo N., Discrimination, Inequality and Control: The Status Quo of Israeli Education, Adva Center, Tel Aviv 2009.