Main Article Content
The aim of this paper is to examine early pandemic commercials and show the main changes in their focus from the point of view of communication. In terms of the contents, COVID-19 lockdown, heroism of health care workers, social distancing, online learning, remote work, and the strong shift towards online communication are underlined with an enormous stress put on such values as family, helping each other and being together in these difficult times. Characteristic nonverbal components of commercials referring to the pandemic situation include, for example, sentimental piano music, dimmed colours, a specific style of filming, or showing ordinary people as actors. Finally, it is noticed that some ad makers decide to use the sense of humour in their spots. In conclusion, the coronavirus pandemic and its effects can be easily observed on every level of an advertising message.
- Brierley, S. 2002. The advertising handbook. (2nd edition). London: Routledge.
- Byrne, A.W. and M.S. Breen. 2003. “The naked truth of celebrity endorsement”. British Food Journal 105.04. 288-296.
- Kowalewska, K. 2018. The perception of language and non-language resources in press advertisements: an ecolinguistic-communicative approach. Poznań: Wydawnictwo Naukowe UAM.
- Ogilvy, D. 1983. Ogilvy on advertising. London: Pan Books.
- Tellis, G.J. 2004. Effective advertising. Understanding when, how, and why advertising works. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
- Internet Sources
- IS1 https://www.britannica.com/topic/advertising [last access 3 September 2021]
- IS2 https://www.nielsen.com/ssa/en/insights/article/2021/covid-19-changed-the-advertising-playbook-now-what/ [last access 3 September 2021]
- IS3 https://www.facebook.com/business/help/1123969894625935 [last access 3 September 2021]
- IS4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y1ZpEikZ5U [last access 3 September 2021]
- IS5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4mk5oXEOwE [last access 3 September 2021]
- IS6 https://www.adsoftheworld.com/media/digital/lays_joygivers [last access 4 September 2021]
- IS7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e8XLnMiCOE [last access 6 September 2021]
- IS8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbCe_5kSmxI [last access 4 September 2021]
- IS9 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IATlIhqLInw [last access 4 September 2021]
- IS10 https://www.adsoftheworld.com/media/film/united_nations_covid19_we_are_at_home_to_protect_you [last access 6 September 2021]
- IS11 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UTf5EItRC0 [last access 6 September 2021]
- IS12 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xEo-HNRDew [last access 3 September 2021]
- IS13 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWwVFywBCeY [last access 6 September 2021]
- IS14 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAZFoCubLUY [last access 6 September 2021]
- IS15 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJr8xffVgtw [last access 6 September 2021]
- IS16 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsQ7Wto0FJg [last access 4 September 2021]
- IS17 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZnHkv5-z4k [last access 6 September 2021]
- IS18 https://www.adsoftheworld.com/media/outdoor/netflix_the_spoiler_billboard [last access 4 September 2021]