Main Article Content
At the turn of the 20th century, Macedonia was a region still controlled by the waning Ottoman Empire, though intensely coveted by the neighbouring Balkan states, which deployed national propaganda movements in Macedonia, in preparation for future territorial annexations. It is this author’s contention that the “Macedonian question” thus engendered gives rise to several overlapping triadic configurations of interlocking, interacting and mutually monitoring nationalisms, as per the analytical model put forth by Rogers Brubaker. Working on this premise, and after adjusting Brubaker’s model to account for the specific relational settings of the Macedonian question, this author proceeds to draft a case study of a specific triadic configuration, among several operating in fin-de-siècle Macedonia: namely, the one arisen out of the mutual monitoring and interaction of a Romanian nationalizing nationalism, a Greek nationalizing nationalism, and two Aromanian (or Vlach) minority nationalisms.
Download data is not yet available.
How to Cite
Creţulescu, V. (2015). The Aromanian-Romanian national movement (1859-1905): an analytical model. Balcanica Posnaniensia. Acta Et Studia, 22(1), 99-121. https://doi.org/10.14746/bp.2015.22.8
- The Author hereby warrants that he/she is the owner of all the copyright and other intellectual property rights in the Work and that, within the scope of the present Agreement, the paper does not infringe the legal rights of another person.The owner of the copyright work also warrants that he/she is the sole and original creator thereof and that is not bound by any legal constraints in regard to the use or sale of the work.
- The Author grants the Purchaser non-exclusive and free of charge license to unlimited use worldwide over an unspecified period of time in the following areas of exploitation:
2.1. production of multiple copies of the Work produced according to the specific application of a given technology, including printing, reproduction of graphics through mechanical or electrical means (reprography) and digital technology;
2.2. marketing authorisation, loan or lease of the original or copies thereof;
2.3. public performance, public performance in the broadcast, video screening, media enhancements as well as broadcasting and rebroadcasting, made available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them;
2.4. inclusion of the Work into a collective work (i.e. with a number of contributions);
2.5. inclusion of the Work in the electronic version to be offered on an electronic platform, or any other conceivable introduction of the Work in its electronic version to the Internet;
2.6. dissemination of electronic versions of the Work in its electronic version online, in a collective work or independently;
2.7. making the Work in the electronic version available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them, in particular by making it accessible via the Internet, Intranet, Extranet;
2.8. making the Work available according to appropriate license pattern Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-ND 4.0) as well as another language version of this license or any later version published by Creative Commons.
- The Author grants the Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan permission to:
3.1. reproduce a single copy (print or download) and royalty-free use and disposal of rights to compilations of the Work and these compilations.
3.2. send metadata files related to the Work, including to commercial and non-commercial journal-indexing databases.
- The Author declares that, on the basis of the license granted in the present Agreement, the Purchaser is entitled and obliged to allow third parties to obtain further licenses (sublicenses) to the Work and to other materials, including derivatives thereof or compilations made based on or including the Work, whereas the provisions of such sub-licenses will be the same as with the attributed license pattern Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-ND 4.0) or another language version of this license, or any later version of this license published by Creative Commons. Thereby, the Author entitles all interested parties to use the work, for non-commercial purposes only, under the following conditions:
4.1. acknowledgment of authorship, i.e. observing the obligation to provide, along with the distributed work, information about the author, title, source (link to the original Work, DOI) and of the license itself.
4.2. the derivatives of the Work are subject to the same conditions, i.e. they may be published only based on a licence which would be identical to the one granting access to the original Work.
- The University of Adam Mickiewicz in Poznań is obliged to
5.1. make the Work available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them, without any technological constraints;
5.2. appropriately inform members of the public to whom the Work is to be made available about sublicenses in such a way as to ensure that all parties are properly informed (appropriate informing messages).
- The University of Adam Mickiewicz in Poznań hereby preserves the copyright to the journal as a whole (layout/stylesheet, graphics, cover design, logo etc.)
- BARTH, Fredrik, ed., Ethnic Groups and Boundaries: The Social Organization of Culture Difference (London: Allen & Unwin, 1969).
- BOURDIEU, Pierre, Propos sur le champ politique (Lyon : Presses Universitaires de Lyon, 2000).
- BOURDIEU, Pierre and Wacquant, Loïc J.D., Réponses: pour une anthropologie réflexive (Paris: Ed. Du Seuil, 1992).
- BRASS, Paul, Ethnicity and Nationalism, Theory and Comparison (New Dehli: Sage Publications, 1991).
- BREZEANU, Stelian, Constantin Iordan, Horia C. Matei, Tudor Teoteoi, Gheorghe Zbuchea, Relaţiile româno-elene: o istorie cronologică [Romanian-Hellene Relations: a Chronological History] (Bucureşti: Editura Omonia, 2003).
- BRUBAKER, Rogers, Nationalism Reframed: Nationhood and the National Question in the New Europe (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 1996).
- CARAGIU-MARIOŢEANU, Matilda, “Unité du roumain (nord et sud-danubien)”, in Revue roumaine de linguistique, XXX, 6 (1985).
- CASTELLAN, Georges, Histoire des Balkans XIVe –Xxe siècle (Fayard, 1991).
- DIACONESCU, Marius, “Some Critical Remarks on the Role of Romania in the Balkan Wars” (paper presented at the annual global conference of the United Macedonian Diaspora, Skopje, Macedonia, July 24 – August 2, 2013, to be published).
- DIAMANDI, Sterie, Oameni şi aspecte din istoria aromânilor [People and Aspects of Aromanian History] (Bucureşti: 1940).
- HOBSBAWM, Eric, Nations et nationalisme depuis 1780, trans. Dominique Peters (Paris: Gallimard, 1992).
- JELAVICH, Barbara, Istoria Balcanilor [History of the Balkans], vol. II (Iaşi: Institutul European, 2000).
- KAHL, Thede, Istoria aromânilor: vlahi şi meglenoromâni din Europa de Sud-Est [The History of the Aromanians: Vlachs and Meglenoromanians from South-Eastern Europe] (Bucureşti: Editura Tritonic, 2005).
- LHÉRITIER, Michel, L’évolution des rapports gréco-roumains depuis un siècle (1821-1931) (Paris: 1933).
- MARGARIT, Apostol, Refutation d’une brochure grecque par un Valaque Epirote, extracted from Courrier d’Orient (Constantinople: 1879) MUŞI, Vasile, “Românii din dreapta Dunării şi Unirea din 1859” [“The Romanians from the Right-Hand Side of the Danube and the 1859 Union”] in Destin [Destiny] 11 (1959).
- NICEA, Cola, “Memorii” [“Memoirs”], in Scara – revistă de oceanografie ortodoxă [The Ladder – Review of Orthodox Oceanography] (Bucharest: Ed. Treapta 7, 2001), digitalized by Predania Publishing House, accessed and downloaded May 23, 2013, from http://www.proiectavdhela.ro/pdf/cola_nicea_ memoriile.pdf. NISTOR, Ionuţ, “Problema aromână” în raporturile României cu statele balcanice (1903-1913) [The “Aromanian Issue” in Romania’s Rapports with the Balkan States (1903-1913)] (Iaşi: Editura Universităţii “Alexandru Ioan Cuza”, 2009).
- PAPACOSTEA, Victor, “Documente aromâneşti dintre 1860 şi 1870” [“Aromanian Documents from 1860 to 1870”], in Revista Aromânească [Aromanian Review] 1, 1 (1929).
- PAPACOSTEA, Victor, “Documente aromâneşti dintre 1860 şi 1870” [“Aromanian Documents from 1860 to 1870”], in Revista Aromânească [Aromanian Review] 1, 2 (1929).
- PAPAHAGI, Valeriu, Moscopole: Metropola comercială şi culturală a românilor din Peninsula Balcanică în secolul al XVIII-lea [Moschopolis: The Commercial and Cultural Metropole of the Romanians of the Balkan Peninsula in the XVIIIth Century] (Roşiorii de Vede: Tipografia “Lumina Poporului”, 1939).
- PEYFUSS, Max Demeter, “Aromânii în era naţionalismelor balcanice” [“The Aromanians in the Era of Balkan Nationalisms”], in Aromânii: istorie, limbă, destin [The Aromanians: History, Language, Destiny], ed. Neagu Djuvara (Bucureşti: Editura Humanitas, 2012).
- PEYFUSS, Max Demeter, Chestiunea aromânească: evoluţia ei de la origini până la Pacea de la Bucureşti (1913) şi poziţia Austro-Ungariei [The Aromanian Question: its Evolution from its Origins to the Peace of Bucharest (1913) and the Stance of Austro-Hungary] (Bucureşti: Editura Enciclopedică, 1994).
- PINETTA, Mihail, Apostol Margarit (Iaşi: 1940).
- SARAMANDU, Nicolae, La Romanité Orientale (Bucureşti: Editura Academiei Române, 2008).
- SHAW, Stanford J. and E.K. Shaw, History of the Ottoman Empire and Modern Turkey, vol. II (Cambridge University Press, 1976 and 1977).
- STEPHANOPOLI, Jeanne Z., Trente deux ans de propagande roumaine en Macédoine. Les Koutzovlaques et l’Hellénisme (Athènes: 1903).
- STREIT, Georges, L’affaire Zappa. Conflit greco-roumain (Paris: 1894).
- TRIFON, Nicolas, Les Aroumains, un people qui s’en va (La Brussière: Editions Acratie, 2005).
- TUDORANCEA, Radu, “The Macedo-Romanian Question Within Romanian-Greek Relations in the Early Twentieth Century (1900-1913)”, in Historical Yearbook (Bucharest: Romanian Academy, “Nicolae Iorga” History Institute, Volume I, 2004).
- ŢOVARU, S., Problema şcoalei româneşti din Balcani [The Issue of Romanian Schooling in the Balkans] (Bucureşti: 1934).
- VELICHI, Constantin, “Les relations roumano-grecques pendant la période 1879-1911”, in Revue des Etudes Sud-Est Européennes 7, 3 (1969).
- ZBUCHEA, Gheorghe, O istorie a românilor din Peninsula Balcanică (secolele XVIII-XX) [A History of the Romanians of the Balkan Peninsula (XVIIIth – XIXth Centuries)] (Bucureşti: Ed. Biblioteca Bucureştilor, 1999).