Main Article Content
Lucia Bednárová, The significance of stress in parents of a child with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Interdisciplinary Contexts of Special Pedagogy, No. 22, Poznań 2018. Pp. 121–132. Adam Mickiewicz University Press. ISSN 2300-391X. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14746/ikps.2018.22.07
The literature review focuses on the importance of stress in parents of a child with autism spectrum disorders, which significantly affects family life. The main cause of the burden are accompanying difficulties that are the part of disorder. This applies to specific reactions such as fits of anger, self-harm, psychomotor agitation, eating disorders, sleep disorders and other troubles which require almost 24-hour care. This review assesses several research studies that deal with the issue and which can be examples of good practice.
- American Psychiatric Association (APA). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders – 5th edition, American Psychiatric Publishing, Arlington, VA 2013.
- Baker-Ericzen M.J., Brookman-Frazee L., Stahmer A. Stress levels and adaptability in parents of toddlers with and without autism spectrum disorders, “Research and Practice for Persons with Severe Disabilities” 2005, 30(4).
- Benson P.R., The impact of child symptom severity on depressed mood among parents of children with ASD: The mediating role of stress proliferation, “Journal of Autism and developmental disorders” 2006, 36(5).
- Bilgin H., Kucuk L., Raising an autistic child: Perspectives from Turkish mothers, “Journal of child and psychiatric nursing” 2010, 23(2).
- Bimbrahw J., Boger J., Mihailidis, A. Investigating the efficacy of a computerized prompting device to assist children with autism spectrum disorder with activities of daily living, “Assistive technology” 2012, vol. 24.
- Boyd B.A., Examining the relationship between stress and lack of social support in mothers of children with autism, “Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities” 2002, 17(4).
- Bratská M., Zisky a straty v záťažových situáciách alebo príprava na život, Práca, Bratislava
- Davis N.O., Carter A.S., Parenting stress in mothers and fathers of toddlers with autism spectrum disorders: Associations with child characteristics, “Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders” 2008, 38(7).
- Dětský autismus, red. Hrdlička M., Komárek V., Portál, Praha 2004.
- Dyches T.T., Wolder L. Sudweeks R.R., Obiakor F.E., Algozzine, B., Multicultural issues in autism, „Journal of autism and developmental disorders” 2004, 34(2).
- Gorlin J.B., McAlpine C., Garwick A., Wieling E., Severe childhood autism: the family lived experience “Journal of pediatric nursing” 2016, 31(6).
- Hoffman C.D., Sweeney D.P., Hodge D., Lopez-Wagner M.C., Looney L., Parenting stress and closeness: Mothers of typically developing children and mothers of children with autism, “Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities” 2009, 24(3).
- Hong E., Ganz J., Ninci J., Neely L., Gilliland W., Boles M., An evaluation of the quality of research on evidence-based practices for daily living skills for individuals with ASD, “Journal of autism and developmental disorders” 2015, 2(2).
- Hrabovecká, M., Kvalita života rodičov detí s autizmom, “E-Psychologie” 2015, vol. 9.
- Janzen J.E., Autism, facts and strategies for parents, Therapy skill builders, Texas 1999.
- Labosh, K., Stress: Take a load off, “Autism advocate” 2005, vol 38, No 2.
- Lazarus R.S., Folkman S., Stress, appraisal and coping, Springer, New York 1984.
- Lee L.C., Harrington R.A., Louie B.B., Newschaffer C.J., Children with autism: Quality of life and parental concerns, “Journal of autism and developmental disorders” 2008, 38(6).
- McStay R.L., Trembath D., Dissanayake Ch., Maternal stress and family quality of life in response to raising a child with autism: from preschool to adolescence, “Research in developmental disabilities” 2014, 35(11).
- Mugno D., Ruta L., D’arrigo V.G., Mazzone L., Impairment of quality of life in parents of children and adolescents with pervasive developmental disorder, “Health and Quality of Life Outcomes” 2007, 27.
- Nice. Clinical guideline 128. Autism diagnosis in children and young people. Recognition, referral and diagnosis of children and young people on the autism spectrum, 2011.
- Research autism. Beating stress in autism. London, 2017. http://www.researchautism.net/about-us-research-autism/beating-stress-in-autism [dostęp: 30.07.2017].
- Seltzer M.M., Greenberg J.S., Hong J., Smith L.E., Almeida D.M., Coe C., Stawski R.S., Maternal cortisol levels and behavior problems in adolescents and adults with ASD, “Journal of Autism and Develompmental Disorders” 2010, 40(4).
- Strmeň L., Raiskup J.Ch., Výkladový slovník odborných výrazov používaných v psychológii, IRIS, Bratislava 1998.
- Šerfelová R., Záťaž opatrovateľa počas starostlivosti o zomierajúceho, JLF UK, Martin 2012.
- Thorová K., Poruchy autistického spektra, Portál, Praha 2006.
- Tsai L.Y., Impact of DSM-5 on epidemiology of Autistic spectrum disorder, “Research of Autism spectrum disorders” 2014, 8.
- Wang P., Michaels C.A., Day M.S., Stresses and coping strategies of Chinese families with children with autism and other developmental disabilities, “Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders” 2011, 41(6).
- Weaver L.L., Effectiveness of work, activities of daily living, education and sleep interventions for people with autism spectrum disorder: A systematic review, “American Journal of Occupational Therapy” 2015, 69(5).