Main Article Content
This research aims at revealing the current status of the End-of-Life Vehicle (ELV) recycling systems in the European Union (EU), Japan and China which are known to have big vehicle manufacturers. The purpose of this research is to clarify their characteristics and issues, such as existing ELV recycling policy, limitations of Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) and environmental problems caused by secondhand car export. Japanese ELV recycling system will be analyzed as a specific example. Automakers’ effort to improve ELV recycling rate and the potential influence on recycling policy from large secondhand car export and Next-Generation Vehicle’s (NGV) popularization in Japan will be discussed and generalized. In addition, interview investigation for vehicle makers and government agencies has been conducted to have a comparative analysis of stakeholders’ (mainly automakers) attitude towards current ELV recycling law and future plans which can support Next-Generation Vehicle recycling well, as well as cross-border environmental/international resources recycling problems caused by secondhand car export.
- Automotive Industry Portal. 2017. Report of vehicle sales in Japan 2016. https://www.marklines.com/ja/statistics/flash_sales/salesfig_japan_2016.
- Eurostat. “End-of-Life vehicles- reuse, recycling and recovery, totals.” http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/products-datasets/-/env_waselvt.
- Fuji Keizai Marketing Research & Consulting Group. 2016. “Research on global sale for HV, PHV and EV.” Accessed July 9, 2018. https://www.fuji-keizai.co.jp/market/17059.html.
- Hamagin Research Institute. 2018. “Static data for secondhand importation.” https://www.yokohama-ri.co.jp/html/report/pdf/chuko1712.pdf, p.5.
- Japan Automobile Recycling Promotion Center. 2016. JARC data book. https://www.jarc.or.jp/data/databook/.
- Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association. 2018. Transition for the domestic sale for Next-Generation Vehicle. Accessed June 7, 2019. http://www.jama.or.jp/eco/earth/earth_03_g01.html.
- Japan Metal Bulletin. 2016. Domestic Iron scrap price. https://www.japanmetal.com/memberwel/marketprice
- MIZUNO. 2018. “Review on illegal dumping issue in Teshima.” https://www.e-mizuno.co.jp/press57/.
- Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. 2016 a. Suggestion for using Specified Recycling Deposit, document 22. https://www.meti.go.jp/shingikai/sankoshin/sangyo_gijutsu/haikibutsu_recycle/jidosha_wg/pdf/044_s22_00.pdf, pp.6-7.
- Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. 2016 b. Situation for Next-Generation Vehicle. https://www.meti.go.jp/shingikai/sankoshin/sangyo_gijutsu/haikibutsu_recycle/jidosha_wg/pdf/038_s06_00.pdf
- Ministry of the Environment. 2013. Situation of final disposal site for industrial waste. http://www.env.go.jp/council/former2013/04recycle/y040-42/mat01.pdf.
- Ministry of the Environment, Japan. 2002. Improvement for ELV reduction and recycling, Progress report of Central Environment Council. http://www.env.go.jp/press/file_view.php?serial=2578&hou_id=2803.
- MITSUBISHI. 2017. Environment report 2017. http://www.mitsubishielectric.co.jp/corporate/csr/download/csr/pdf/csr_r2017.pdf.
- Nippon Steel & Sumikin Research Institute Corporation. 2016. Project to improve the spread of infrastructure and system with low requirements for energy in 2015 (Research on installing End-of-Life Next-Generation Vehicle in Mongolia)). https://www.meti.go.jp/meti_lib/report/2016fy/000332.pdf, p. 41.
- OICA, “Sales Statistics”. http://www.oica.net/category/sales-statistics/
- OICA, “Vehicles in use”.http://www.oica.net/category/vehicles-in-use/
- Oliver-foundation, “Background of Teshima issue”. http://www.teshima-school.jp/struggle/history/
- SUBARU. 2017. CSR report 2017. https://www.subaru.co.jp/csr/report/pdf/2017/csr_report_2017_all.pdf.
- Terazono A. 2002. ELV recycling status in Germany, Japan Society of Material Cycles and Waste Management, Vol.13, No.4, pp.210-220. https://doi.org/10.3985/wmr.13.210
- The Japan Society of Industrial Machinery Manufacturers. 2014. “Vehicle recycling status in Europe (Part 1).” http://www.jsim.or.jp/kaigai/1406/001.pdf.
- TOYOTA. 2017. Environment report 2017. https://global.toyota/jp/sustainability/report/archives/
- Yano J, Xu G, Watanabe N, Sakai S. 2016. Resource potential of ELV and system evaluation on environmental burden. https://www.env.go.jp/policy/kenkyu/suishin/kadai/syuryo_report/h26/pdf/3K123001.pdf.
- Yu J, Wang S, Toshiki K, Serrona KRB, Fan G, and Erdenedalai B. 2017. Latest Trends and New Challenges in End-of-Life Vehicle Recycling. Harrison RM, Hester RE (Ed.) Environmental Impacts of Road Vehicles: Past, Present and Future. London: The Royal Society of Chemistry Press, pp. 174-213.
- Yano Research Institute. 2016. Research on basic technology for manufacturing in 2015, p.29. Accessed October 11 2017. https://www.meti.go.jp/meti_lib/report/2016fy/000333.pdf.