Main Article Content
The aim of the article is to show the role of the Balkans in the context of the tasks carried out by the diplomacy of the Turkish Republic in the interwar period. Turkish foreign policy was determined by the position of the state in the three regions - the Mediterranean, the Middle East and the Balkans. The activity of the Turkish diplomacy in the Balkans should be divided into two phases covering the years 1923–1932 and 1932–1939. Many Turkish diplomatic initiatives met with a positive reaction in the Balkans. Turkey was an advocate of solutions based on negotiations, not on the arguments of force. On the other hand, the political successes in the Balkans did not substantially strengthen its position in other matters concerning Turkish security. Neither did Turkey increase the Turkish rank in the eyes of superpowers.
- The Author hereby warrants that he/she is the owner of all the copyright and other intellectual property rights in the Work and that, within the scope of the present Agreement, the paper does not infringe the legal rights of another person.The owner of the copyright work also warrants that he/she is the sole and original creator thereof and that is not bound by any legal constraints in regard to the use or sale of the work.
- The Author grants the Purchaser non-exclusive and free of charge license to unlimited use worldwide over an unspecified period of time in the following areas of exploitation:
2.1. production of multiple copies of the Work produced according to the specific application of a given technology, including printing, reproduction of graphics through mechanical or electrical means (reprography) and digital technology;
2.2. marketing authorisation, loan or lease of the original or copies thereof;
2.3. public performance, public performance in the broadcast, video screening, media enhancements as well as broadcasting and rebroadcasting, made available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them;
2.4. inclusion of the Work into a collective work (i.e. with a number of contributions);
2.5. inclusion of the Work in the electronic version to be offered on an electronic platform, or any other conceivable introduction of the Work in its electronic version to the Internet;
2.6. dissemination of electronic versions of the Work in its electronic version online, in a collective work or independently;
2.7. making the Work in the electronic version available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them, in particular by making it accessible via the Internet, Intranet, Extranet;
2.8. making the Work available according to appropriate license pattern Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-ND 4.0) as well as another language version of this license or any later version published by Creative Commons.
- The Author grants the Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan permission to:
3.1. reproduce a single copy (print or download) and royalty-free use and disposal of rights to compilations of the Work and these compilations.
3.2. send metadata files related to the Work, including to commercial and non-commercial journal-indexing databases.
- The Author declares that, on the basis of the license granted in the present Agreement, the Purchaser is entitled and obliged to allow third parties to obtain further licenses (sublicenses) to the Work and to other materials, including derivatives thereof or compilations made based on or including the Work, whereas the provisions of such sub-licenses will be the same as with the attributed license pattern Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-ND 4.0) or another language version of this license, or any later version of this license published by Creative Commons. Thereby, the Author entitles all interested parties to use the work, for non-commercial purposes only, under the following conditions:
4.1. acknowledgment of authorship, i.e. observing the obligation to provide, along with the distributed work, information about the author, title, source (link to the original Work, DOI) and of the license itself.
4.2. the derivatives of the Work are subject to the same conditions, i.e. they may be published only based on a licence which would be identical to the one granting access to the original Work.
- The University of Adam Mickiewicz in Poznań is obliged to
5.1. make the Work available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them, without any technological constraints;
5.2. appropriately inform members of the public to whom the Work is to be made available about sublicenses in such a way as to ensure that all parties are properly informed (appropriate informing messages).
- The University of Adam Mickiewicz in Poznań hereby preserves the copyright to the journal as a whole (layout/stylesheet, graphics, cover design, logo etc.)
- Akşin A., Atatürk’ün Dış Politika İlkeleri ve Diplomasisi, İstanbul, 1966.
- Akyılmaz G., Osmanlı Diplomasi Tarihi ve Teşkilatı, Konya, 2000.
- Atatürk: his life-revolutions-memories, ed. Ç. Tüzüner. Istanbul, 2005.
- Atatürk K., Atatürk’ün SöylevIeri, Türk Dil Kurumu Yayınları, Ankara, 1968.
- Avramovski Ž., Balkanska Antanta 1934–1940, Beograd, 1986.
- Avramovski Ž., Britanci o Kraljevini Jugoslaviji. Godišnji izveštaji Britanskog poslanstva u Beogradu 1921–1938, t. 2, Zagreb, 1995.
- Balkanski ugovorni odnosi 1876–1996. Dvostrani i višestrani međunarodni ugovori i drugi diplomatski akti o državnim granicama, političkoj i vojnoj saradnji, verskim i etničkim manjinama, t. 2, Beograd, 1998.
- Barlas D., Friends or foes? Diplomatic relations between Italy and Turkey, 1923–1936, “International Journal Middle East Studies”, 2004, t. 36, s. 231–252.
- Barlas D., Statism and diplomacy in Turkey: Economic and foreign policy strategies in an uncertain world, 1929–1939, Leiden, 1998.
- Barlas D., Turkish diplomacy in the Balkans and the Mediterranean. Opportunities and limits for middle-power activism in the 1930s, „Journal of Contemporary History”, 2005, nr 3, s. 441–464.
- Bitzes J., The Graeco-Turkish relationship, 1930–1941, „Balkan studies”, 1997, nr 2, s. 219-400.
- Burgwyn J., Italian foreign policy in the interwar period 1918–1940, Connecticut, 1997.
- Carocci G., La politica estera dell’Italia fascista (1925-1928), Bari, 1969.
- Czekalski T., Pogrobowcy wielkiej idei. Przemiany społeczne w Grecji w latach 1923–1940,
- Kraków, 2007.
- Il Discorso del Duce alla seconda assemblea quinquennale del regime, 18 marzo 1934, Roma, 1934.
- Evans S., The slow rapprochement. Britain and Turkey in the age of Kemal Atatürk, 1919–1938, Beverley, 1982.
- Gawroński J., Dyplomatyczne wagary, Warszawa, 1965.
- Gökay B., A Clash of empires: Turkey between Russian bolshevism and British imperialism (1918–1923), London, 1997.
- Gökay B., Soviet eastern policy and Turkey, 1920–1991, New York, 2006.
- Hale W., Turkish foreign policy since 1774, New York, 2013.
- Harris G., Atatürk’s Diplomats and their brief biographies, İstanbul, 2010.
- Jevakhoff A., Kemal Atatürk. Droga do nowoczesności, Warszawa, 2004.
- Kołodziejczyk D., Turcja, Warszawa, 2011.
- Lenczewski G., The Middle East in world affairs, Ithaca, 1980.
- Michaelis M., Italy’s Mediterranean strategy in the Mediterranean, 1935–1939 [w:] Britain and the Middle East in the 1930s, pod red. nauk. Cohen M., Kolinsky M., London, 1992, s. 41-60.
- Paszkiewicz J., Grecja wobec problemów bezpieczeństwa na Bałkanach przed wybuchem II wojny światowej (1936–1940), Poznań, 2012.
- Paszkiewicz J., Jugosławia w polityce Włoch w latach 1914–1941, Poznań, 2004.
- Sander O., Nationalism and peace. The significance of Atatürks movement, “Turkish yearbook”, 1980–1981, t. 20.
- Silier O., The place of Anglo-Turkish relations in the foreign policy of the Turkish Republic (1923–1939), “The Turkish Yearbook”, 1971, t. 11, s. 96-101.
- Spasov L., Les projets d’un pacte mediterraneen et l’Entente Balkanique 1934–1937, „Etudes Balkaniques”, 1987, z. 2.
- Zhivkova L., Anglo-Turkish relations, 1933–1939, London, 1976.
- Јовановић Ј., Дипломатска историја Нове Европе, Београд, 1938, t. 2.
- Хаков Д., Aтатюрк, Република Турция и Балканите, Турция-Балканите-Европа [w:] История и култура. Иследования в чест на професор Дженгиз Хаков, София, 2003.
- Σβολόπουλος Κ., Ελευθέριος Βενιζέλος, 12 μελετήματα, Αθήνα, 1999.