Main Article Content
This article demonstrates the inadequacy of legal deduction as a method that guarantees the certainty and predictability of law and its outcomes in concrete instances. Inter alia, the Author brings our attention to the far smaller role that the deductive pattern of inference plays in legal thought than one may suppose, since it is rather only a schematic illustration of the decisions that were previously made by recourse to the mental operations of a non-logical nature. In return, he proffers legal analogy as an alternative, by which he understands a mode of thinking which helps the reasoner to take into account a mass of different factors that are traditionally deemed to be relevant for legal thought and decision-making.
- Aldisert R.J., Logic for Lawyers: A Guide to Clear Legal Thinking, 3rd edition, Notre Dame 1997.
- Alexander L., Sherwin E., Demystifying Legal Reasoning, Cambridge 2008.
- Bańkowski Z., MacCormick D.N., Statutory Interpretation in the United Kingdom, [in] Interpreting Statutes. A Comparative Study, eds. D.N. MacCormick and R.S. Summers, Aldershot 1991.
- Biegański W., Wnioskowanie z analogii, Lwów 1909.
- Braman E., Law Politics & Perception. How Policy References Influence Legal Reasoning, Charlottesville 2009.
- Brewer S., Exemplary Reasoning: Semantics, Pragmatics, and the Rational Force of Legal Argument by Analogy, “Harvard Law Review” 1995-1996, no. 109.
- Broekman J.M., Analogy in the Law, [in] Legal Knowledge and Analogy. Fragments of Legal Epistemology, Hermeneutics and Linguistics, ed. P. Nerhot, Dordrecht 1991.
- Brożek B., Rationality and Discourse: Towards a Normative Model of Applying Law, Warszawa 2007.
- Burton S.J., An Introduction to Law and Legal Reasoning, 3rd edition, Austin 2007.
- Christie G.C., Law, Norms & Authority, London 1982.
- Cross R., Harris J.W., Precedent in English Law, 4th edition, Oxford 1991.
- Cross R., Precedent in English Law, 2nd edition, Oxford 1968.
- Epstein S., Integration of the Cognitive and the Psychodynamic Unconscious, “American Psychologist” 1994, vol. 49.
- Fowler T., The Elements of Deductive Logic, 10th edition, Oxford 1895.
- Gizbert-Studnicki T., Wieloznaczność leksykalna w interpretacji prawniczej, Kraków 1978.
- Gladwell M., Blink. The Power of Thinking without Thinking, London 2006.
- Golding M.P., Legal Reasoning, Peterborough 2001.
- Handbook of Intuition Research, eds. M. Sinclair and E. Elgar, Cheltenham 2011.
- Hanson S., Legal Method & Reasoning, 2nd edition, London 2003.
- Hart H.L.A., The Concept of Law, 2nd edition, Oxford 1994.
- Heuristics and Biases. The Psychology of Intuitive Judgment, eds. T. Gilovich, D.W. Griffin and D. Kahneman, Cambridge 2002.
- Intuition in Judgment and Decision Making, eds. H. Plessner, C. Betsch and T. Betsch, New York 2008.
- Jackson B.S., Analogy in Legal Science: Some Comparative Observations, [in] Legal Knowledge and Analogy. Fragments of Legal Epistemology, Hermeneutics and Linguistics, ed. P. Nerhot, Dordrecht 1991.
- Lenoble J., The Function of Analogy in Law: Return to Kant and Wittgenstein, [in] Legal Knowledge and Analogy. Fragments of Legal Epistemology, Hermeneutics and Linguistics, ed. P. Nerhot, Dordrecht 1991.
- Levi E.H., An Introduction to Legal Reasoning, Chicago 1949.
- MacCormick D.N., Legal Reasoning and Legal Theory, Oxford 1978.
- MacCormick D.N., Rhetoric and the Rule of Law: A Theory of Legal Reasoning, Oxford 2005.
- Mill J.S., A System of Logic, Ratiocinative and Inductive: Being a Connected View of the Principles of Evidence and the Methods of Scientific Investigation, 8th edition, New York 1882.
- Murray M.D., DeSanctis C.H., Legal Research and Writing, New York 2005.
- Nowacki J., Analogia legis, Warszawa 1966.
- Opałek K., Wróblewski J., Zagadnienia teorii prawa, Warszawa 1969.
- Peczenik A., On Law and Reason, Dordrecht 2009.
- Rips L.J., The Psychology of Proof: Deductive Reasoning in Human Thinking, Cambridge, Mass. 1994.
- Ross A., Directives and Norms, London 1968.
- Schauer F., Playing by the Rules: A Philosophical Examination of Rule-Based Decision-Making in Law and in Life, Oxford 1991.
- Schauer F., Thinking Like a Lawyer: A New Introduction to Legal Reasoning, Cambridge, Mass. 2009.
- Sloman S.A., Two Systems of Reasoning, [in] Heuristics and Biases. The Psychology of Intuitive Judgment, eds. T. Gilovich, D.W. Griffin and D. Kahneman, Cambridge 2002.
- Sunstein C.R., Commentary on Analogical Reasoning, “Harvard Law Review” 1992-1993, no. 106.
- Sunstein C.R., Legal Reasoning and Political Conflict, New York 1996.
- Weinreb L.L., Legal Reason: The Use of Analogy in Legal Argument, Cambridge 2005.
- Wróblewski J., The Judicial Application of Law, Dordrecht 1992.
- Zaccaria G., Analogy as Legal Reasoning – The Hermeneutic Foundation of the Analogical Procedure, [in] Legal Knowledge and Analogy. Fragments of Legal Epistemology, Hermeneutics and Linguistics, ed. P. Nerhot, Dordrecht 1991.