Main Article Content
Vukovar is the city in the East Croatia on the border with the Republic of Serbia. In the paper I attempt to show the development of the city, the composition of its population and the relationships between ethnic groups from establishing of Vukovar until the beginning of the Homeland war in 1991. The paper presents the history of the Croat majority and the minorities which were, and which are, present in the city: the Germans, Hungarians, Serbs, Rusyns, Ukrainians, Yews and the Slovaks. From the beginning Vukovar was a multicultural, multiethnic and multiconfessional city thanks to migrations which were present since its establishing, in which the Croats were the majority. After the WWI a large number of Serbs immigrated into this area. The political situation gave them benefits which earlier belonged to Germans and Hungarians. They gained power to rule the city. It became the source of constant tensions between the Serbian and Croatian population in the period of Yugoslavia (1918-1941) and during the WWII (1941-1944). Although the communist Yugoslav authorities were trying to pacify interethnic differences, the escalation of nationalisms brought about the siege and the capture of Vukovar in 1991 by the Serbian troops.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- The Author hereby warrants that he/she is the owner of all the copyright and other intellectual property rights in the Work and that, within the scope of the present Agreement, the paper does not infringe the legal rights of another person.The owner of the copyright work also warrants that he/she is the sole and original creator thereof and that is not bound by any legal constraints in regard to the use or sale of the work.
- The Author grants the Purchaser non-exclusive and free of charge license to unlimited use worldwide over an unspecified period of time in the following areas of exploitation:
2.1. production of multiple copies of the Work produced according to the specific application of a given technology, including printing, reproduction of graphics through mechanical or electrical means (reprography) and digital technology;
2.2. marketing authorisation, loan or lease of the original or copies thereof;
2.3. public performance, public performance in the broadcast, video screening, media enhancements as well as broadcasting and rebroadcasting, made available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them;
2.4. inclusion of the Work into a collective work (i.e. with a number of contributions);
2.5. inclusion of the Work in the electronic version to be offered on an electronic platform, or any other conceivable introduction of the Work in its electronic version to the Internet;
2.6. dissemination of electronic versions of the Work in its electronic version online, in a collective work or independently;
2.7. making the Work in the electronic version available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them, in particular by making it accessible via the Internet, Intranet, Extranet;
2.8. making the Work available according to appropriate license pattern Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-ND 4.0) as well as another language version of this license or any later version published by Creative Commons.
- The Author grants the Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan permission to:
3.1. reproduce a single copy (print or download) and royalty-free use and disposal of rights to compilations of the Work and these compilations.
3.2. send metadata files related to the Work, including to commercial and non-commercial journal-indexing databases.
- The Author declares that, on the basis of the license granted in the present Agreement, the Purchaser is entitled and obliged to allow third parties to obtain further licenses (sublicenses) to the Work and to other materials, including derivatives thereof or compilations made based on or including the Work, whereas the provisions of such sub-licenses will be the same as with the attributed license pattern Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-ND 4.0) or another language version of this license, or any later version of this license published by Creative Commons. Thereby, the Author entitles all interested parties to use the work, for non-commercial purposes only, under the following conditions:
4.1. acknowledgment of authorship, i.e. observing the obligation to provide, along with the distributed work, information about the author, title, source (link to the original Work, DOI) and of the license itself.
4.2. the derivatives of the Work are subject to the same conditions, i.e. they may be published only based on a licence which would be identical to the one granting access to the original Work.
- The University of Adam Mickiewicz in Poznań is obliged to
5.1. make the Work available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them, without any technological constraints;
5.2. appropriately inform members of the public to whom the Work is to be made available about sublicenses in such a way as to ensure that all parties are properly informed (appropriate informing messages).
- The University of Adam Mickiewicz in Poznań hereby preserves the copyright to the journal as a whole (layout/stylesheet, graphics, cover design, logo etc.)
- Damjanović Dragan, Zvonik kalvinske crkve u Vukovaru iz 1910. godine, u: Građevinar, Vol.60, br. 5., Zagreb, 2008, str. 403-410.
- Enciklopedija likovnih umjetnosti, svezak 4, Naklada jugoslavenskog leksikografskog zavoda, Zagreb, 1966.
- Horvat Vlado, Potrebica Filip, Uspon građanskog Vukovara 1850.-1918. godine, u: Vukovar; Vjekovni hrvatski grad na Dunavu, Nakladna kuća "Dr. Feletar", Zagreb, 1994., str. 182-198.
- Hrvatska enciklopedija, Leksikografski zavod Miroslav Krleža, url:
- http://www.enciklopedija.hr/Natuknica.aspx?ID=65649, (pristupio 24.1.2014.)
- Jurčević Josip, Društveno-politički odnosi 1990./1991., u: Vukovar; Vjekovni hrvatski grad na Dunavu, Zagreb, 1994., str. 405-411.
- Karaman Igor, Promjene nacionalne strukture pod utjecajem dvaju svjetskih ratova, u: Vukovar; Vjekovni hrvatski grad na Dunavu, Nakladna kuća "Dr. Feletar", Zagreb, 1994., str. 311-321.
- Karaman Igor, Razvoj međunacionalnih odnosa vukovarskog stanovništva 1945/1948.-1991., u: Vukovar; Vjekovni hrvatski grad na Dunavu, Nakladna kuća "Dr. Feletar", Zagreb, 1994., str. 388-401.
- Kolar-Dimitrijević Mira, Potrebica Filip, Na slavonsko-srijemskom razmeđu 1918.-1945. godine, u: Vukovar; Vjekovni hrvatski grad na Dunavu, Nakladna kuća "Dr. Feletar", Zagreb, 1994., str. 238-254.
- Lazanin Sanja, Stanovništvo Vinkovaca i Vukovara u razdoblju njihova oblikovanja u urbane cjeline: kraj 18. i početak 19. stoljeća, u: Migracijske i etničke teme, Vol. 23, br. 3., Zagreb, 2007., str. 225-249.
- Mihaljević Vine, Uloge i značenje religije u stradavanju Vukovara '91. godine i u obnovi Vukovara u poslijeratnom razdoblju, u: National security and the future, Vol. 12., br. 4, Zagreb, 2011., str. 105-
- Pavičić Stjepan, Podrijetlo naselja i govora u Slavoniji, Pretisak, Vinkovci, 1994.
- Sučić Stjepan, Značaj obrane Vukovara u stvaranju Hrvatske države, u: National security and the future, Vol. 12., br. 3, Zagreb, 2011., str. 11-69.
- Takač Gabrijel, Rusini i Ukrajinci vukovarskog kraja; u: Vukovar; Vjekovni hrvatski grad na Dunavu, Nakladna kuća "Dr. Feletar", Zagreb, 1994., str. 397-401.
- Vojna enciklopedija, svezak 10, drugo izdanje, Izdanje redakcije vojne povijesti, Beograd, 1975.
- Vukovar - ponos Hrvatske; prilozi iz povijesti, kulture i književnosti, Nakladni zavod Globus, Zagreb, 1995.
- Vukovarska komuna, Odbor za proslavu 20-godišnjice oslobođenja i Centar za kulturno-propagandni i informativni rad, Vukovar, 1965.
- Wertheimer-Baletić Alica, Stanovništvo Vukovara i vukovarskog kraja, Nakladni zavod Globus, Zagreb, 1993.
- Wertheimer-Baletić Alica, Akrap Anđelko, Razvoj stanovništva Vukovarsko-sriiemske županije s posebnim osvrtom na ekonomsku strukturu od 1971. do 2001., u: Društvena istraživanja, Vol. 17., br. 1-2 (93-94), Zagreb, 2008., str. 51-75.
- Žanić Mateo, Važnost rituala u poslijeratnom razdoblju: Primjer Vukovara, u: Polemos: časopis za interdisciplinarna istraživanja rata i mira=journal of interdisciplinary research on war and peace, Vol. 10, br. 1, Zagreb, 2007, str. 73-90.
- Žebec Ivana, Utjecaj češkog kapitala na razvoj Vukovara u razdoblju između dva svjetska rata, u: Društvena istraživanja, Vol. 17., br. 1-2 (93-94), Zagreb, 2008., str. 101-124.
- Židovske općine: url: http://www.cendo.hr/Opcine.aspx?id=30 (pristupio 19.1.2014.)
- Živatović-Kerže Zlata, Na podunavskom prometnom pravdu; Osvrt na gospodarki razvoj Vukovara u 19. i na početku 20. stoljeća, u: Društvena istraživanja, Vol. 17., br. 1-2 (93-94), Zagreb, 2008., str. 135-148.