Main Article Content
With small exceptions, it is not possible to find in the remaining testimonies any traces of stereotypes that could be associated with the images of the Balkans, the Orient or Eastern Europe. Although the nobility of Ragusa was described as proud, this pride was presented as justified, because the bond of the most-important families with the republic reached back to the Middle Ages, and also because of the entrepreneurial spirit of the nobles that brought prosperity to the whole city. The picture was contrasted with the descriptions of Dalmatian Italians, portrayed as intruders who did not contribute to the development of the region. The difference between the perception of the Italian and Ragusan elite was connected with the concept of a nation that became one of the key elements of the Napoleonic policy in Europe.
Download data is not yet available.
How to Cite
Sajkowski, W. (2019). The elites of Ragusa were regarded very positively by the French administrators of the Illyrian Provinces (1809-1813). Balcanica Posnaniensia. Acta Et Studia, 25, 89-99. https://doi.org/10.14746/bp.2018.25.5
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- The Author hereby warrants that he/she is the owner of all the copyright and other intellectual property rights in the Work and that, within the scope of the present Agreement, the paper does not infringe the legal rights of another person.The owner of the copyright work also warrants that he/she is the sole and original creator thereof and that is not bound by any legal constraints in regard to the use or sale of the work.
- The Author grants the Purchaser non-exclusive and free of charge license to unlimited use worldwide over an unspecified period of time in the following areas of exploitation:
2.1. production of multiple copies of the Work produced according to the specific application of a given technology, including printing, reproduction of graphics through mechanical or electrical means (reprography) and digital technology;
2.2. marketing authorisation, loan or lease of the original or copies thereof;
2.3. public performance, public performance in the broadcast, video screening, media enhancements as well as broadcasting and rebroadcasting, made available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them;
2.4. inclusion of the Work into a collective work (i.e. with a number of contributions);
2.5. inclusion of the Work in the electronic version to be offered on an electronic platform, or any other conceivable introduction of the Work in its electronic version to the Internet;
2.6. dissemination of electronic versions of the Work in its electronic version online, in a collective work or independently;
2.7. making the Work in the electronic version available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them, in particular by making it accessible via the Internet, Intranet, Extranet;
2.8. making the Work available according to appropriate license pattern Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-ND 4.0) as well as another language version of this license or any later version published by Creative Commons.
- The Author grants the Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan permission to:
3.1. reproduce a single copy (print or download) and royalty-free use and disposal of rights to compilations of the Work and these compilations.
3.2. send metadata files related to the Work, including to commercial and non-commercial journal-indexing databases.
- The Author declares that, on the basis of the license granted in the present Agreement, the Purchaser is entitled and obliged to allow third parties to obtain further licenses (sublicenses) to the Work and to other materials, including derivatives thereof or compilations made based on or including the Work, whereas the provisions of such sub-licenses will be the same as with the attributed license pattern Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-ND 4.0) or another language version of this license, or any later version of this license published by Creative Commons. Thereby, the Author entitles all interested parties to use the work, for non-commercial purposes only, under the following conditions:
4.1. acknowledgment of authorship, i.e. observing the obligation to provide, along with the distributed work, information about the author, title, source (link to the original Work, DOI) and of the license itself.
4.2. the derivatives of the Work are subject to the same conditions, i.e. they may be published only based on a licence which would be identical to the one granting access to the original Work.
- The University of Adam Mickiewicz in Poznań is obliged to
5.1. make the Work available to the public in such a way that members of the public may access the Work from a place and at a time individually chosen by them, without any technological constraints;
5.2. appropriately inform members of the public to whom the Work is to be made available about sublicenses in such a way as to ensure that all parties are properly informed (appropriate informing messages).
- The University of Adam Mickiewicz in Poznań hereby preserves the copyright to the journal as a whole (layout/stylesheet, graphics, cover design, logo etc.)
- Aperçu sur la république de Raguse, Service historique de la Défense / Département de l'armée de Terre 1M 1611.
- Cassas Louis-François, Lavallée Joseph, Voyage pittoresque et historique de l'Istrie et de la Dalmatie, Paris: Didot l’Ainé 1802.
- Fortis Alberto, Voyage en Dalmatie, tłum. M. Chapuis, Berne: La Societe Typographique 1778.
- Lasseret, Mémoire à joindre à la reconnaissance militaire de la Dalmatie, par Lasseret, ingénieur-géographe, décembre 1806, Service historique de la Défense / Département de l'armée de Terre 1590-1591.
- Marmont Auguste Frédéric Louis Viesse de, Mémoires du Duc de Raguse: de 1792 a 1832 : imprimés sur le manuscrit original de l’auteur, Paris: Perrotin 1857.
- Maire Alexandre le, O Dubrovniku i Dubrovčanima 1766. g.: izvještaj gosp. Le Maira, francuskog konzula u Koronu, o Dubrovačkoj republici, tłum. Z. Šundrica, “Dubrovnik : časopis za književnost i znanost” 1973-1974, nr 17/6, s. 9-69
- Matutinović Lujo, Essai Historique, Géographique Politique, Civil et Militaire sur Les Provinces Illyriennes, et sur le Monténégro, w: Ogled o Ilirskim provincijama i Crnoj Gori, J. Milinković (transl.), transkrypcja manuskryptu na załączonym CD, Zagreb: Školska knjiga 2009.
- Nodier Charles, Mélanges de littérature et de critique, Paris: Raymond 1820.
- Notice sur la Dalmatie, Service historique de la Défense / Département de l'armée de Terre 1M 1611.
- Spon Jacob, Voyage d'Italie, de Dalmatie, de Grèce et du Levant : fait aux années 1675 et 1676, La Haye: Rutgert Albertis 1724.
- Watkins Thomas, Travels through Swisserland, Italy, Sicily, the Greek Islands, to Constantinople : through part of Greece,Ragusa, and the Dalmatian Isles ; in a series of letters to Pennoyre Watkins, London: T. Cadell 1792.
- Zulatti, Mémoire du colonel des Dalmates, M. Zulatti, sur la réforme et le règlement des Morlaques dans la province de Dalmatie, Zara, 15 mars 1806, Service historique de la Défense / Département de l'armée de Terre 1M 1611.
- Bundy Frank, The Administration of the Illyrian Provinces of the French Empire 1809 1813, New York-London: Garland 1987.
- Čučić Vesna, Posljednja kriza Dubrovačke Republike, Zagreb–Dubronik : HAZU 2003.
- Dunn-Pattision Richard, Napoleon's Marshals, Bremen: Eureopaischer Hochschulverlag 2010.
- Ellis Geoffrey, Cesarstwo Napoleona, tłum. A. Czwojdrak, Kraków: Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Jagiellońskiego 2003.
- Ellis Geoffrey, The Nature of Napoleonic Imperialism, w: Napoleon and Europe, red. P. Dwyer, London: Routledge 2001, s. 97–117.
- Fine John, When Ethnicity Did Not Matter in the Balkans: A Study of Identity in Pre-Nationalist Croatia, Dalmatia, and Slavonia in the Medieval and Early-Modern Periods, Ann Arbor: Michigan University Press 2006.
- Forycki, Maciej, Anarchia polska w myśli Oświecenia. Francuski obraz Rzeczypospolitej szlacheckiej u progu czasów stanisławowskich, Poznań: Wydawnictwo Poznańskie 2004.
- Grab Alexander, Napoleon and the Transformation of Europe, New York: Palgrave Macmillan 2003.
- Jezernik Božidar, Wild Europe. The Balkans in the gaze of western travelers, London: Saqui 2004.
- Klanović Josip, Šumrada Janez, Napoleon et son administration en adriatique orientale et dans les Alpes de l'est, 1806-1814 : guide des sources = Napoleon i njegova uprava na istočnoj obali jadrana i na području istočnih alpa, 1806-1814 : arhivski vodič, Zagreb: Hrvatski državni arhiv 2005.
- Puškarić, Jelena., Anselmo Banduri (1675.–1743.), dubrovački benediktinac u Parizu, “Zbornik Odsjeka za povijesne znanosti Zavoda za povijesne i društvene znanosti Hrvatske akademije znanosti i umjetnosti”, 2006, t. 24, s. 131–186.
- Senkowska-Gluck Monika, Rządy napoleońskie w Ilirii: 1809–1813, Wrocław: Ossolineum 1980.
- Supek, I. Ruđer Bošković: vizionar u prijelomima filozofije, znanosti i društva, Zagreb: Jugoslavenska akademija znanosti i umjetnosti u Zagrebu 1989.
- Todorova Maria, Imaging Balkans, Oxford: Oxford University Press 2009.
- Vidan Gabrijela, Lujo Matutinović, novi građanin Europe g. 1811., u službi Napoleona, w: L. Matutinović, Ogled o Ilirskim provincijama i Crnoj Gori, Zagreb, s. 257–287.
- Wolff Larry, Inventing Eastern Europe: the map of civilization on the mind of the Enlightenment, Stanford: Stanford University Press 1994.
- Wolff Larry, Venice and the Slavs: The Discovery of Dalmatia in the Age of Enlightenment, Stanford: Stanford University Press 2001.