Main Article Content
The proceedings of the High Tribunal of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania were presided over by a Marshal, also known as director of the Tribunal in the 17th century. He was elected from among all the deputies on the inauguration day of a new tribunal. The position was commonly fi lled by Lithuanian offi cials of various ranks and it was not uncommon for senators to serve as Marshals. For various reasons, a Marshal was not always able to take part in all the activities of the Tribunal – on such occasions assistant Marshals were elected. In 1633, 1634, 1635, 1636, 1638, 1639, 1642, 1646 and 1648, the High Tribunal was presided over by at least three directors. The most High Tribunals Marshals presided over (there were as many as fi ve) were in 1638 and 1642. In total, in 16 Lithuanian High Tribunals, which convened during the reign of Władysław IV, the position was fi lled by 37 persons, 45 times in all. Because of the political and property interests of Lithuanian political elites and opportunities to infl uence judgments, the position of the High Tribunal director was attractive. Out of 37 High Tribunal Marshals 17, or 46 per cent, were senators or were to become senators later. In terms of denominational affi liation, the High Tribunal was presided over by 33 Catholics, 3 Calvinists and a single Orthodox. High Tribunal Marshals were – in principle – elected deputies at the dietines of Lithuanian ‘upper voivodeships’, chiefl y though from the Vilnius Voivodeship. Out of 45 High Tribunal Marshals, 20 came from these dietines, which accounts for 44 per cent of all Tribunal directors in 1633-1648.